Choose style:

Author Topic: “Ubuntu Budgie” Becomes The New Official Ubuntu Flavor  (Read 1425 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
“Ubuntu Budgie” Becomes The New Official Ubuntu Flavor
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:10:58 am »
“Ubuntu Budgie” Becomes The New Official Ubuntu Flavor

By Adarsh Verma – IN GEEK / NEWS for fossBytes

Short Bytes: The budgie-remix Linux distro team has announced that the Ubuntu Technical Board has granted it an official community flavor distro status. 17.04 will be the first release of this distro under a new name Ubuntu Budgie. This change will allow Ubuntu Budgie to enjoy an equal status, just like the other flavors, in the Ubuntu family.

https://fossbytes.com/ubuntu-budgie-new-official-ubuntu-flavor/

and

Ubuntu Budgie Is Now an Official Ubuntu Flavor

...Softpedia was informed by budgie-remix developers David Mohammed and Udara Madubhashana that their GNU/Linux distribution built around the Budgie desktop environment is now an official Ubuntu flavor.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-budgie-is-now-an-official-ubuntu-flavor-510062.shtml#ixzz4PWgxT1OZ

By Marius Nestor for Softpedia

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-budgie-is-now-an-official-ubuntu-flavor-510062.shtml#ixzz4PWfy17Lo
http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-budgie-is-now-an-official-ubuntu-flavor-510062.shtml
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:05:08 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: “Ubuntu Budgie” Becomes The New Official Ubuntu Flavor
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 09:26:42 am »
Good, now they just need to make it Ubuntu.  As in, their main release.  Get rid of Unity.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 12:06:42 pm »
Hopefully there will never be a Poobuntu :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 12:43:58 pm »

You mean besides their main release? :P

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »
Good, now they just need to make it Ubuntu.  As in, their main release.  Get rid of Unity.

Bwahahahaha !!!   :D

I rebased Ubu 16.10 => 17.04 the other day.  I don't need to worry about testing Unity any time soon. What a mess ?!?!?

Matter of fact, the only DE I could get working was GNOME Flashback (Compiz).  Everything else is FUBAR.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 04:31:22 pm »

That may prove to be Unity.  Today I dist-upgraded Unity 16.04.1 and the dist-upgrade gave me a dysfunctional kernel.  I installed, again, 16.10 --which, again, gave me a dysfunctional distribution.  Yes, my claim here is that Poobuntu is already alive and well right now.  ;D

I rebased Ubu 16.10 => 17.04 the other day.  I don't need to worry about testing Unity any time soon. What a mess ?!?!? --VinDSL

I don't know how you can handle it, VinDSL.  Even 16.04.1 can be a PITA!

P.S.

I went to Ubuntu Unity today because purple is supposed to be, amongst other things, a color of mourning --kind of a national thing today, you know.  :'(

On top of everything else, little did I know that Unity 16.04.1  was going to give me a swift kick in the tuchis after dist-upgrading too.  That's a double whammy in one day --ouch!

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 04:57:21 pm »
Quote from: VinDSL
I rebased Ubu 16.10 => 17.04 the other day.  I don't need to worry about testing Unity any time soon. What a mess ?!?!? --VinDSL

I don't know how you can handle it, VinDSL.  Even 16.04.1 can be a PITA!

It's a deep-seated physiological defect, perknh  ...   ;D

Quote from: t4exanadu
I should considering the dictum "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" and maybe just leave things the way they are [...]

Quote from: VinDSL
I'm just the opposite.  I H-A-T-E it when things just work.  LoL!

SOURCE: https://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?p=41143#p41143

Pjotr

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 09:28:02 am »
Well, let's not forget that Peppermint is based on Ubuntu and all the hard work that the Ubuntu developers have done.... Personally, I'm grateful for their work and for the generous allowance to use the Ubuntu repo's for other distro's like Peppermint. Peppermint *is* for more than 90 % Ubuntu....

Those Ubuntu guys produce a lot of high-quality software, even if it's not to everybody's liking. I'm not fond of Unity either, but that's a matter of taste. I respect the Ubuntu devs and their work highly.

In short: don't defecate where you eat.  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:31:35 am by Pjotr »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:09:22 am »
Those Ubuntu guys produce a lot of high-quality software, even if it's not to everybody's liking. I'm not fond of Unity either, but that's a matter of taste. I respect the Ubuntu devs and their work highly.

Hi Pjotr,

You're right, of course.  I actually have Unity as my secondary installation, so you can take my mutterings with a grain of salt.  Yesterday I had a problem with Ubuntu's linux-image-4.4.0-47-generic --that's all.

Ubuntu does great work.  I know Peppermint wouldn't be Peppermint as we know it without Ubuntu.  ;)

perknh

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:27 am »
Well, let's not forget that Peppermint is based on Ubuntu and all the hard work that the Ubuntu developers have done.... Personally, I'm grateful for their work and for the generous allowance to use the Ubuntu repo's for other distro's like Peppermint. Peppermint *is* for more than 90 % Ubuntu....

In short: don't defecate where you eat.  :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure none of us ever forget that.  ;)

Canonical makes a great source code with Ubuntu.  In fact, many of my favorite distributions are based on that code.  However, I don't like a lot of the choices they make with their main release.  I was already running Peppermint when they switched from Gnome 2 to Unity, but I would have switched to something else anyway, had that happened while I was still using the OS.  It's not a good interface for desktop computers.  It's much more suited for smaller screens, such as tablets and phones.  Nothing they ever do with it will change that, short of making it more of a destkop type interface.  They've made some other choices that I haven't cared for, besides Unity.  But, this is where Linux gives you options.  I actually quite enjoy Xubuntu, which is the same OS but with the XFCE desktop.  In fact, I currently have Xubuntu on my main computer with Peppermint.  Lubuntu is also a nice variation.  I haven't tried Ubuntu Budgie yet, but I may do that today.  And, I like other projects that are based on Ubuntu, such as Mint.  And, of course, there's my favorite, Peppermint, which is my main OS.

I don't think anyone forgets that the OS is based on Ubuntu or that Canonical makes good software.  However, many of us simply don't care for the choices made by the company in recent years and instead prefer to use Ubuntu-based alternatives.  But, that's the beauty of Linux.  Don't like it?  Try something else.  :)  Even Canonical realizes not everyone will like their main offering, which is why they have official spins, Ubuntu with different desktops.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:44:38 am by scifidude79 »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 01:32:31 pm »
Well, let's not forget that Peppermint is based on Ubuntu and all the hard work that the Ubuntu developers have done....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure none of us ever forget that.  ;)

How could we forget ?   ;D

I've been an active member of the Ubu Dev Release Testing Team since 2012.

I was also involved with testing in G3 Staging, before Jeremy Bicha took a hiatus, a couple of years back -- ought to get back to it, really.

I continue to enjoy chasing Ubu bugs, but it's always with one eye on Peppermint.

I knew the 16.04 LTS was going to work a treat, but I'm increasingly worried about 16.10 and now 17.04.  Let's leave it at that ...

Anyway, yes, we owe a debt of gratitude to the upstream maintainers of various distros, but I'm not so sure anyone appreciate the effort(s) required to cherry-pick the best-of-the-best and wrap them up in one cohesive package. 

Hats off to Shane, Kendall, Mark, and Brian.  Never forget that !   8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 01:35:53 pm »
Great I get to keep my hat on, TVM it's getting a little nippy around here C:-)  <-- actual photo of PCNetSpec
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:18:32 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 02:34:34 pm »
Hats off to Shane, Kendall, Mark, and Brian.  Never forget that !   8)

;)