Choose style:

Author Topic: A couple of minor issues related to dconf editor and menulibre  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Smakx

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Version 7 x86
A couple of minor issues related to dconf editor and menulibre
« on: November 06, 2016, 04:37:47 pm »
Hello,

This is somewhat of a bug report. I was not sure where to post it, or if this has been covered, but I felt motivated to try to help contribute to what has become my new favorite OS.

I am a relatively noobish linux user from the cli perceptive but have been experimenting with gui distros for years and have tried many. As I previously stated I really love Peppermint, everything works beautifully, and the system sits at 1% cpu and 200mb ram usage at idle from a cold boot. In all of my mucking around with the interface, I have encountered only two issues as follows:

1. I was attempting to add icons for mounted volumes to the desktop using dconf editor. I checked the boxes to show desktop icons, then unchecked them all except mounted volumes. It sort of worked, the icon for a usb thumb drive would take awhile to appear on my desktop so I opted to undo the setting and just use the file manager to access mounted volumes. So i went back into dconf editor and reverted the settings, then hit the reset to defaults button to confirm that I had things set as they were originally. The system ran fine until I rebooted. Something had become corrupted, the wallpaper was no longer loading and the right-click functionality stopped working on the desktop. I could fix the wallpaper by selecting one again, but the right-click functionality remained borked. Being somewhat of a noob, I re-imaged the system because i had no idea how else to fix it, no big deal - part of "experimenting" - lesson learned.

2. I wanted to remove the "education" category that installing Open Office Writer had added to the Whisker menu, not for any real reason, just to see how and to keep things minimal. I looked into how to do this and was directed to menulibre (which is not installed by default, but is referenced in Commands tab of the Whisker menu preferences). So I installed menulibre, and used its simple interface to remove the education category.  After doing this the Whisker menu was corrupted, and was blank except for "Favorites" and "Recently Used". The buttons across the top of the Whisker menu were still present. Going back into menulibre and undoing my changes didn't fix the problem, re-image again :)

Other than these two issues, all of my poking and prodding of the system otherwise have produced expected results. I really like peppermint and hope that some of this is useful in some way. Thanks again for making this awesome os.

Edit: Here is a link to the post with my inxi -FZ output: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4586.msg45874.html#msg45874
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:41:17 pm by Smakx »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
A couple of minor issues related to dconf editor and menulibre
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 04:37:47 pm »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
then copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)

Note - Please rest assured there is nothing in the output from that command that could be construed as a 'security risk', the '-z' option makes sure of that by filtering out your MAC address.

If you're not sure how to run the above command or how to post the output back here, please see the video tutorial at the link below:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4546.0.html
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: A couple of minor issues related to dconf editor and menulibre
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:44:05 am »
Hi Smakx,

We are all glad to read that you enjoy Peppermint8)

The two issues that you have reported are unfortunately not things that are under the control of the Peppermint developers (at least not in the sense of reprogramming them).

Your first item is most likely the way that dconf-editor works when you hit the reset button. This app comes from Ubuntu (copyrighted by Canonical Ltd.).

Your second item is the result of installing and using menulibre. There is a very good reason that this is not included in Peppermint Seven: it does not work very well and usually ends up corrupting the menu so badly that it must be replaced by the default one that you had at the initial installation. By using the Search function in this forum and entering menulibre as your search parameter you will find many posts concerning this and many warnings that you should not use menulibre, such as this post (and its replies) and this post (among others).

It is always a good idea to ask here or research here on the forum first before installing (and then using) apps that modify the standard installation.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Smakx

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:21:11 pm »
Hi Smakx,

We are all glad to read that you enjoy Peppermint8)

The two issues that you have reported are unfortunately not things that are under the control of the Peppermint developers (at least not in the sense of reprogramming them).

Your first item is most likely the way that dconf-editor works when you hit the reset button. This app comes from Ubuntu (copyrighted by Canonical Ltd.).

Your second item is the result of installing and using menulibre. There is a very good reason that this is not included in Peppermint Seven: it does not work very well and usually ends up corrupting the menu so badly that it must be replaced by the default one that you had at the initial installation. By using the Search function in this forum and entering menulibre as your search parameter you will find many posts concerning this and many warnings that you should not use menulibre, such as this post (and its replies) and this post (among others).

It is always a good idea to ask here or research here on the forum first before installing (and then using) apps that modify the standard installation.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Thanks for the reply and the information. I have since done a lot more with the system and everything has just worked. More people need to know about this awesome os, it is the perfect combination of efficiency, compatibility and power - I'm going to do my part to spread the word.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:59:44 pm »
Issue 1 - hitting the reset button in dconf editor only resets the currently selected item to its default. If you want to reset EVERYTHING, it would probably be easiest just to delete/move ~/.config/dconf/user then log off/on.
(~/.config/dconf/user will be recreated at login with the default settings)

Issue 2 - There is no 100% safe menu editor for LXDE which is why we don't add one out of the box .. I'm hoping to look into this for Peppermint 8 but currently the safest method for adjusting menu position is to manually edit the .desktop launchers
(if you need help with this just ask)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:01:38 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Smakx

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
Issue 1 - hitting the reset button in dconf editor only resets the currently selected item to its default. If you want to reset EVERYTHING, it would probably be easiest just to delete/move ~/.config/dconf/user then log off/on.
(~/.config/dconf/user will be recreated at login with the default settings)

Issue 2 - There is no 100% safe menu editor for LXDE which is why we don't add one out of the box .. I'm hoping to look into this for Peppermint 8 but currently the safest method for adjusting menu position is to manually edit the .desktop launchers
(if you need help with this just ask)

Awesome, thanks for the pointers.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 06:16:50 pm »
You're most welcome Smakx :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec