Author Topic: Am I the only one...  (Read 1962 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Am I the only one...
« on: September 28, 2016, 07:26:51 am »
...who forgets Ubuntu even does non LTS releases until I see the release announcements on DistroWatch?  I mean, they used to be good for a year, but now it's only nine months.  So, aside from testing features for use in future LTS releases, the incremental Ubuntu (and other spins) releases are kinda pointless.  I don't like changing my OS every six months.  Too much stuff to back up and restore once it's all done.  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Am I the only one...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:00:35 am »
I don't "forget", but I do now "ignore" them .. with only 9 month support they're useless to base a Peppermint on, and as a user too much of a PITA.

I'll never understand the 9 month thing .. effectively they're just "testing" releases now, so why not just call them so :-\
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:03:10 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:44:27 am »
Exactly.  They should just call them testing releases and put them somewhere than their main downloads page.  I'll bet it's confusing for new users, especially since many probably won't read that one is LTS and the other has 9 month support.  They will just install the higher number one because it's the latest.  Then they may not update to the next version when they should and may lose support. 

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:27:31 pm »
I don't "forget", but I do now "ignore" them .. with only 9 month support they're useless to base a Peppermint on, and as a user too much of a PITA.

I'll never understand the 9 month thing .. effectively they're just "testing" releases now, so why not just call them so :-\

Ditto here! And I agree with scifidude79 100% : new users are definitely NOT being done a favor the way Ubuntu is currently releasing these "late beta" versions with limited support.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:42:14 pm »
...Ditto here! And I agree with scifidude79 100% : new users are definitely NOT being done a favor the way Ubuntu is currently releasing these "late beta" versions with limited support.

Regards,

-- Slim
Bang on the money  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 12:12:33 pm »
Bang on the money  ;).

Agreed!  And, yet I can't resist taking a peek at it.  I've got Yakkety Yak installed alongside Peppermint as I compose this post.  There's something about that Ubuntu eggplant (aubergine) purple that cheers me up --and, usually, Unity has one two cool looking wallpapers too.  Not so with Yakkety Yak however --best to go back to Vervet Xenial Xerus (16.04) for nicer wallpapers.

Yeah, I couldn't install Skype yesterday in the Yak (16.10) until I ran Capivara's instructions, and then I had to remove one entry from Software and Updates after doing so.  Yeah, it's a testing release for sure --only good to July 2017.  But, these 9 month testing releases are automatically set to display other version updates when they become available, so you really don't have to worry about being caught with an unsupported release.  Newer version updates always become available.  That makes Ubuntu almost a rolling release.  In fact, I think it's better than one, because you can stop and begin anywhere in the release cycle where you would like.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:22:17 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:18:30 pm »
Not so with Yakkety Yak however --best to go back to Vervet (16.04) for nicer wallpapers.

Vivid Vervet was 15.04, 16.04 was Xenial Xerus .. typo ?

But, these 9 month testing releases are automatically set to display other version updates when they become available, so you really don't have to worry about being caught with an unsupported release.  Newer version updates always become available.

So I take it you've been luck so far eh perknh ? .. those dist-upgrades nearly always break for me (except where the GUI-less server edition is concerned which always seems to dist-upgrade flawlessly)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »
Not so with Yakkety Yak however --best to go back to Vervet (16.04) for nicer wallpapers.
Vivid Vervet was 15.04, 16.04 was Xenial Xerus .. typo ?

Yes, I meant Xenial Xerus,  Thank you.  ;)

But, these 9 month testing releases are automatically set to display other version updates when they become available, so you really don't have to worry about being caught with an unsupported release.  Newer version updates always become available.

So I take it you've been luck so far eh perknh ? .. those dist-upgrades nearly always break for me (except where the GUI-less server edition is concerned which always seems to dist-upgrade flawlessly)

I'm always wandering here and there with my secondary installations, but, yes, I think it was with Utopic Unicorn that I tried dist-upgrading, and I had no problems.  But, that said, I remember reading in our forum that most of the veterans here prefer clean installations to dist-upgrading.  But, knock on wood, with the little I've tried this, so far I've had no problems with the process myself.  :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 02:35:09 pm »
First time for everything I guess :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 03:32:41 pm »
I've had 2 experiences of dist-upgrading with Ubuntu based distros and both failed miserably, that said I've dist-upgraded 3 times with Openmediavault without a hitch.

when upgrading I just back up my entire home folder to a secondary drive and I wrote a script to install software and any ppa's and I'm up and running with a clean install in under a hour
to be honest I enjoy it :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 04:20:56 pm »
Openmediavault is much more like a "server edition", ie. it has no GUI DE beyond few small scripts.

It seems to be all the GUI DE stuff (apps / dependencies/ libs / configs / etc.) that cause all the problems with desktop editions .. including rolling releases eventually.

A desktop Linux is a MUCH more complex beast than a DE-less server edition.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:24:06 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline travis82

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 04:21:18 am »
Take a look at this review
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-yakkety-yak.html

Ubuntu is getting buggier version by version. Whilst I admit that non-LTS Ubuntu releases are mainly for testing purposes, they were more stable and more usable before. I think Distors like Slackware, Debian, OpenSUSE  have better releasing model. ie: A rolling release branch for testing and a stable branch for the main release. I don't understand whats the point of releasing a distro on fixed date when it's not ready yet.

Anyway, Thanks to PCNetSpec and Peppermint team we still have a nice and efficient OS based on Ubuntu.  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 04:33:17 am »
I kind of agree, that's why Peppermint don't set release dates .. it's ready when it's ready :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec