Choose style:

Author Topic: Lenovo Loves Linux (MS now in the clear)  (Read 1672 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 RC1 / P9 Respin
Re: Lenovo Loves Linux (MS now in the clear)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 07:34:53 am »
This just goes to prove - do your homework before buying a machine you want to put Linux on.  Be it Raid Drivers, Wi-Fi Drivers or the latest oki koki thingymajig...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 RC1 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 09:22:55 am »
This just goes to prove - do your homework before buying a machine you want to put Linux on.  Be it Raid Drivers, Wi-Fi Drivers or the latest oki koki thingymajig...

Or just buy a computer with Linux on it already.  Then you know it will work.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 10:14:14 am »
I'm yet to see an announcement from either party that clearly says there was NOT a deal .. and I'm having to ask  myself why ???

It would be SOOOOO simple to put this to bed yet they're manoeuvring AROUND the question :-\

And Lenovo have NOT explained why they modified the BIOS to proacatively remove the option in the first place.

But, there again, I'm not sure of how a Windows 10 installation under 'Raid' mode would adapt/react to 'AHCI' mode post installation though? Anyone..?

I'd suspect it wouldn't boot unless you either switch back, or reinstall Windows in AHCI mode .. but the same can be said of GPT/AHCI and other BIOS implemented techs, but you usually have the CHOICE .. and they've not explained ANY benefit in switching to a weird proprietary RAID driver (not even supported out of the box in Windows) in the fist place, let alone why they disable the option to switch back.

It's one thing to DESIGN the system in the first place to be RAID (though there's zero benefit in a laptop) .. it's quite another to disable an option that actually DOES exist in the BIOS .. WHY ?

And why choose a RAID tech that's unsupported in both Windows and Linux .. there are plenty of RAID technologies that already work in both  :-\

I can see ZERO reason they did this .. heck it even makes it difficult for their Windows customers should they need to reinstall .. and if you believe them, ALL FOR NOTHING

So their argument is .. we proactively (and at a cost to us) made it difficult for Windows users, and currently impossible for Linux users for NO BENEFIT, to follow a non existent trend .. and they expect us to swallow that ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:20:51 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 07:41:51 pm »
Update

Quote from: cio.com
After protest, Lenovo brings Linux compatibility to Yoga 900 and 900S
Lenovo has issued a BIOS update so users can load Linux on Yoga 900, 900S and Ideapad 710 laptops

http://www.cio.com/article/3139807/laptop-computers/after-protest-lenovo-brings-linux-compatibility-to-yoga-900-and-900s.html

Hopefully you'll not make the same mistake again in the first place, but well done Lenovo for listening to customer criticism and acting :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:47:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec