Author Topic: Some minor problems with keyboard (SOLVED)  (Read 1240 times)

Offline travis82

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Some minor problems with keyboard (SOLVED)
« on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:23 am »
I have some minor problems with my keyboard and I'm not sure wheter it is a hardware issue or software bug.
I can't use context key on lxterminal. Also, I can't assign new shortcuts to packages or change existing ones graphically. For odd reasons, Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Ins and Super keys don't work in Peppermint control center and clicking on their buttons doesn't show anything in "Enter a valid character" feild.
As I said first issue is not important and for second I can edit xbindkeys.conf and xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml files. But, reporting is harmless.  :)

PS: Dear PCNetSpec, it seems that this forum doesn't support spell checking. Is there a way to activate it?

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: hosein-K45VM Kernel: 4.4.0-45-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Seven
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K45VM v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 234 date: 11/25/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3610QM (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1223 MHz 2: 1998 MHz 3: 1812 MHz
           4: 1237 MHz 5: 1265 MHz 6: 2103 MHz 7: 1381 MHz 8: 1246 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 630M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-45-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1007.9GB (1.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 7.7GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 27G used: 4.4G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda10
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda9
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 224 Uptime: 51 min Memory: 782.8/5846.5MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:18:06 am by travis82 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Some minor problems with keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:23 am »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fzthen copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)

Note - Please rest assured there is nothing in the output from that command that could be construed as a 'security risk', the '-z' option makes sure of that by filtering out your MAC address.

If you're not sure how to run the above command or how to post the output back here, please see the video tutorial at the link below:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4546.0.html
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Some minor problems with keyboard
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:25:09 am »
I have some minor problems with my keyboard and I'm not sure wheter it is a hardware issue or software bug.
I can't use context key on lxterminal. Also, I can't assign new shortcuts to packages or change existing ones graphically. For odd reasons, Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Ins and Super keys don't work in Peppermint control center and clicking on their buttons doesn't show anything in "Enter a valid character" feild.
As I said first issue is not important and for second I can edit xbindkeys.conf and xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml files. But, reporting is harmless.  :)

Hi travis82,

I'm not sure what you mean about the "context key on lxterminal" but I can tell you that when using the Peppermint Control Center to set shortcut key combinations, the keys Alt, Ctrl, Shift and Super do not show in the text field but they are recorded (there is no button for the Ins key -- at least not on my installation).

So, for example, to set the key combination <Ctrl><Shift><x> you first click the button for the Ctrl key, then (even though you see nothing in the text field) go ahead and click the button for Shift, then click in the text field and press  the x key. Finally click on the Apply button and you will see that all keys have been recorded (they appear somewhere near the top of the list, as I recall).

Whether the non-appearance of the Ctrl, Shift, Alt and/or Super keys (within the text box) is intentional or an oversight, I do not know. But each button that you click becomes a little darker and stays that way (probably supposed to be visual feedback that takes the place of showing them in the text field).

Regards,

-- Slim

Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline travis82

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:31:44 am »
Hi travis82,

I'm not sure what you mean about the "context key on lxterminal" but I can tell you that when using the Peppermint Control Center to set shortcut key combinations, the keys Alt, Ctrl, Shift and Super do not show in the text field but they are recorded (there is no button for the Ins key -- at least not on my installation).
and
So, for example, to set the key combination <Ctrl><Shift><x> you first click the button for the Ctrl key, then (even though you see nothing in the text field) go ahead and click the button for Shift, then click in the text field and press  the x key. Finally click on the Apply button and you will see that all keys have been recorded (they appear somewhere near the top of the list, as I recall).

Whether the non-appearance of the Ctrl, Shift, Alt and/or Super keys (within the text box) is intentional or an oversight, I do not know. But each button that you click becomes a little darker and stays that way (probably supposed to be visual feedback that takes the place of showing them in the text field).

Regards,

-- Slim

You are right. I am not familiar with configuring keyboard shortcuts in LXDE. Sorry and thanks.
Regarding context menu key. I use it instead right click in terminal. But, It doesn't work here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:14:15 am by PCNetSpec »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:01 am »
PS: Dear PCNetSpec, it seems that this forum doesn't support spell checking. Is there a way to activate it?

No, but you can add a dictionary to Firefox then Firefox will do the spellchecking for you in the forum editor box ;)

Or more accurately - I **could** install the pspell libs and configure php to use it on the Peppermint server then SMF could do spell checking, but I see this as better handled in the web browser.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:22:19 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 10:56:37 am »
You are right. I am not familiar with configuring keyboard shortcuts in LXDE. Sorry and thanks.
Regarding context menu key. I use it instead right click in terminal. But, It doesn't work here.

Hi travis82,

No need to be sorry. It confused me too the first several times I tried it.  ;D

By the way, I may be wrong but I believe that the component used for setting up the keyboard shortcuts is from XFCE rather than LXDE.

So, I'm glad to hear that the problem seems to be solved. If you are satisfied that it is solved could you please return to your first message in this topic, click on the Modify button and add (SOLVED) at the end of the Subject: line?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome