Author Topic: Google Has Quietly Dropped Ban on Personally Identifiable Web Tracking  (Read 2014 times)

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
Google Has Quietly Dropped Ban on Personally Identifiable Web Tracking
The practical result of the change is that the DoubleClick ads that follow people around on the web may now be customized to them based on the keywords they used in their Gmail. It also means that Google could now, if it wished to, build a complete portrait of a user by name, based on everything they write in email, every website they visit and the searches they conduct.

Simple answer: uBlock Origin  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Google Has Quietly Dropped Ban on Personally Identifiable Web Tracking
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:32 am »
Google Has Quietly Dropped Ban on Personally Identifiable Web Tracking
The practical result of the change is that the DoubleClick ads that follow people around on the web may now be customized to them based on the keywords they used in their Gmail. It also means that Google could now, if it wished to, build a complete portrait of a user by name, based on everything they write in email, every website they visit and the searches they conduct.

Simple answer: uBlock Origin  ;)

or use an alternative search engine
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:52:56 am »
DuckDuck Go FTW!

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:00:31 am »
It's not really a surprise.  Predictive algorithms make people see ads related to products they like, increasing the odds that they will like the products they see advertised, thereby increasing Google's profits.  It became evident years ago that all Google cares about anymore is money.  I remember when they first started Gmail and you had to be invited to join.  That showed they actually cared about providing a decent e-mail service once.  Not anymore.

By the way, don't think uBlock Origin will stop them from building a profile on you.  All it will do is ensure that you can't see the ads.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 05:20:09 pm »
Predictive algorithms make people see ads related to products they like, increasing the odds that they will like the products they see advertised [...]

I responded, earlier this week, to an ad for a 24-roll pack of Charmin toilet tissue @ Staples for USD $7.99, with free shipping to the store.

They didn't make much money on that purchase.  Maybe they thought I'd buy a HP LaserJet printer, or something, while I was in the store.

Two questions:
  • Why do they sell toilet paper in an office supply store ?
  • How does a predictive algo know when you're about out of butt wipes ?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 05:40:50 pm »
Cute fluffy ninja spy Koalas .. obviously!! ::)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:42:50 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:13:00 pm »
Predictive algorithms make people see ads related to products they like, increasing the odds that they will like the products they see advertised [...]

I responded, earlier this week, to an ad for a 24-roll pack of Charmin toilet tissue @ Staples for USD $7.99, with free shipping to the store.

They didn't make much money on that purchase.  Maybe they thought I'd buy a HP LaserJet printer, or something, while I was in the store.

Two questions:
Maybe in an attempt to increase productivity, the Chinese are introducing the commode workstation :))!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 11:40:36 pm »

Two questions:
Maybe in an attempt to increase productivity, the Chinese are introducing the commode workstation :))!

they already have them it seems  :o
https://goo.gl/aU2JPC
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:39:19 am »

Two questions:

Answer to #1: For offices with Win10 installations.  >:( :-X :D

Answer to #2: Through analysis of your previous purchases and browsing history (e.g. did you purchase products to relieve, or research about, constipation or diarrhea? If not then you probably dump your loads at the statistically most likely intervals that have been medically listed as "normal defecation frequency". Otherwise adjust interval estimates up or down accordingly ...  :D )

Regards,

-- Dr. Feelgood  8)
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 06:48:10 am »

The Shadow knows!  :P

Kidding, of course.  I think Slim summed it up.  (the part about previous history)  Recently, I've been looking at stuff on Walmart to see if we had certain things.  So, I'm looking at a Walmart ad on the top of this page right now.  ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 09:04:52 am »
So, I'm looking at a Walmart ad on the top of this page right now.  ;)

Heh !  I did a fresh install of Ubu 16.10, yesterday, in preparation for 17.04 -- no blockers, no nothing -- virgin OOTB install.

The first order of business; since it was on my mind, was to open Fx and search for a HP45 ink cartridge online.

After checking prices on a few sites, I decided to kick back and do a little mindless web surfing. 

OMG !!! Almost every ad on every site was for HP ink cartridges, and I'm not exaggerating.

Doing a 'ctrl-shift-delete > everything'  got rid of them, but still, it was an eye-opener !   :o

Offline Pikolo

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 07:09:21 pm »
By the way, don't think uBlock Origin will stop them from building a profile on you.  All it will do is ensure that you can't see the ads.
But Privacy Bager +  NoScript, blocking XSS, will.
On top of that, Firefox is also testing tracker blocking outside private mode, which should allow me to ditch Privacy Badger and make my Firefox a bit faster(on my ancient android phone, it takes 6s to load the first site....): https://testpilot.firefox.com/experiments/tracking-protection

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 08:02:50 pm »
So, I'm looking at a Walmart ad on the top of this page right now.  ;)

Heh !  I did a fresh install of Ubu 16.10, yesterday, in preparation for 17.04 -- no blockers, no nothing -- virgin OOTB install.

The first order of business; since it was on my mind, was to open Fx and search for a HP45 ink cartridge online.

After checking prices on a few sites, I decided to kick back and do a little mindless web surfing. 

OMG !!! Almost every ad on every site was for HP ink cartridges, and I'm not exaggerating.

Doing a 'ctrl-shift-delete > everything'  got rid of them, but still, it was an eye-opener !   :o

Opening a private browser window to search would take care of that, as it saves nothing.  Still, you shouldn't have to resort to such methods to get a little privacy.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:27 am »
Googles perspective seems to be that they're doing you a SERVICE .. my own take is if that if it's your interests they have at heart it'd at least be possible to opt-out (though really it should be opt-in).

To me a "service" is something you CHOOSE, it's foisted upon you it's not a service.

Googles motto - Do no evil

or maybe more accurately

Do no evil, just offer it as a service (and make sure we're the ones defining 'service')
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:52:49 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 09:00:08 am »
Right, service.  Helping you.  Just like reporting user statistics back to the company that makes the software "helps" it run better.  (and provides a handy source of income, should the software manufacturer decide to sell said information)  I guarantee you, no matter what they say, Google is doing this for money.  It's not inherently evil, but it goes back to that thing I said earlier about showing people ads for stuff they may find interesting, thereby increasing their odds of clicking on said ad and ordering stuff, increasing Google's profits from said ads.