Choose style:

Author Topic: Is there a roadmap for implementing LXQt?  (Read 2320 times)

Pjotr

Is there a roadmap for implementing LXQt?
« on: October 07, 2016, 04:31:47 pm »
Peppermint is an interesting mix of LXDE and Xfce. Is there a roadmap for implementing LXQt in some future Peppermint version, and will that affect the use of Xfce components? Or is it too early too tell?

One reason for my asking is, that I'm an upstream Dutch translator for LXQt. There's still a lot of translation work to be done, and I would like to know if there's any hurry from the Peppermint perspective.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Is there a roadmap for implementing LXQt?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:49:13 pm »
No hurry from our perspective as we've no plans on going down the LXQt route.

If you think about it, our component mix and LXQt probably wouldn't be a marriage made in heaven, requiring both gtk and qt dependencies.

As for what we'll do with the few remaining LXDE components when support stops, it's a little early to say at the moment ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Pjotr

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »
No hurry from our perspective as we've no plans on going down the LXQt route.

If you think about it, our component mix and LXQt probably wouldn't be a marriage made in heaven, requiring both gtk and qt dependencies.

As for what we'll do with the few remaining LXDE components when support stops, it's a little early to say at the moment ;)
LXDE has been completely abandoned by upstream.... Even the Pootle translation server for LXDE has been unusable for over a year.  :(

There's only some downstream maintenance at Ubuntu. This downstream Ubuntu support will end in 2019, as Lubuntu 16.04 promises "only" three years of LTS support, not five years: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes/Lubuntu

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:37:15 pm »
Still not a big deal for us .. there's only really lxsession and lxappearance left (as far as I can remember), both could be easily replaced or forked ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Pjotr

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 05:40:54 pm »
Still not a big deal for us .. there's only really lxsession and lxappearance left (as far as I can remember), both could be easily replaced or forked ;)
Sounds good... In my opinion, Peppermint fills a  real need in the market. Not only because of its cloud orientation, but also because of it being more lightweight than Xfce. It would be great if Peppermint would stick to GTK, and not switch to Qt like Lubuntu intends to do.  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »
Well that's the plan .. I'm not a fan of Qt :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline forumaccount

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • don't delay, join IRC chat today
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint-7-amd64
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:53:33 pm »
I was trying Manjaro with LXQT last week, it's pretty snazzy. Runs really fast on old hardware (I simulate this by only giving VMs one core and 1 gb of ram).

I think it runs about as fast, maybe faster than Lubuntu, but that's probably more of a Manjaro > Ubuntu thing than a DE thing. The most notable difference in the DE was that lxqt was more slick and feature-packed than lxde, while remaining fast.

As they say on their myth / FAQ page, QT may be bloated, but that doesn't mean things made in it have to be. ;)
IRC is like hanging out, without having to leave your house!
/join #linuxdistrocommunity on Freenode, or even #peppermint the ghost town
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#linuxdistrocommunity,#peppermint

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 07:17:11 pm »
Well that's the plan .. I'm not a fan of Qt :)

Me neither, it's basically KDE lite and I don't like using KDE.  Far too much faffing around involved for my liking :(.  I think our hybrid system neatly fills the gap between LXDE and Xfce.  It's in keeping with what Peppermint's all about.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 07:45:09 pm »
Qt just doesn't mesh with Peppermints use of Xfce / MATE / Cinnamon / Gnome components .. it would likely require us to have 2 lots of dependencies and 2 lots of config files, and the components (and fonts) would STILL render differently and look odd.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Pjotr

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:55:05 am »
Good news! It seems I was wrong about LXDE being dead....

I just heard from an LXDE developer, that the LXDE project is still alive and not abandoned. A new version of lxpanel is about to be released.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 01:16:06 pm »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 01:22:44 pm »
Yeah I was 'fairly' sure it was continuing in parallel .. nice to have confirmation though :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 01:32:20 pm »
Yup !

Judging by the flurry of current activity, it looks like they're getting prepared for a new release.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »
This is good and unexpected news.  Add me to the list of the people here who not big fans of LXQt.  Still, for the classically trained Linuxites in this forum, namely PCNetSpec and emegra, I'm more than game to see Peppermint one day do an updated version of Ubuntu 10.10 -- a Peppermint-style Maverick Meerkat redux.  But as PCNetSpec has already said, there's nothing to be gained by doing so at present.  Ubuntu MATE, with maybe the exception being Mint's MATE, has pretty much  already cornered the MATE market --which is quite an accomplishment, I would say.

As for mrsperknh and me, we're happy with Peppermint 7 just the way it is right now.  But didn't we say the same thing about Peppermint 6 before?   :-\   No matter.  My wife and I are very happy with Peppermint 7.  We started years ago installing Peppermint on our then one and only computer with an unsupported installation of Peppermint 4; and since then, EVERY version of Peppermint has put EVERY installation of Windows we have tried --from Vista to 10-- to shame. :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum