Author Topic: Peppermint is my new Windows  (Read 1269 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Peppermint is my new Windows
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:22:59 pm »
Hi
A rather suprising change has occured in my computer usage over the last 6 months. I guess it really started in 2009 when I first installed Ubuntu via the wubi installer. This allowed for quick and easy deletion as it acted just like a windows program in that sense.

Linux was not easy back then (not to me, anyway) It broke, it refused to boot and just getting it to work as I wanted it to was a real chore. I guess I used it 5% of the time.

I have ALWAYS been a windows user. Win 1 through to Win 10 (Beta tester too) - I even defended Vista as it ran perfectly well on my machine once you tamed the Eye Candy.

Jump forward to June of 2015 and by now Linux was much more user friendly and there were a number of Distro's that just worked. I found Peppermint 6 and not only did it just work but it was damned good at it too.  Fast, stable and IF things did go array there was this GREAT forum to turn to for help.

I was now using Linux 50% of the time when sat at the keyboard.

Along came Peppermint 7 and with it Nirvana...

Peppermint 7 is my new Windows and I say this with all honesty and seriousness. I now use Peppermint 98% of the time I am at the keyboard. Sure I still like to play around looking at other Distro's. It's a way of reminding myself just how good Peppermint really is. There are others that still just work but none work as well as Peppermint.  I have a few installed, I am a perpetual fiddler, it's how I learn. I follow Solus and have it installed because like our very own PCNetSpec, I am truly astounded and in awe at the depth of knowledge that Ikey and PCNetSpec possess. Astonishing minds. I can use Linux when other people show me how, but to develop and program and debug... It's beyond me.

I have Windows 10 installed on my main machine, simply because I sometimes need it for work. I also have a lot of data within Outlook and until I find a suitable replacement (and trust me I have tried looking and tried them all - nearly) I will need to keep Windows installed on one of my machines to access outlook.

Getting back on topic, Peppermint 7 is now my main operating system of choice, it is my new windows. It is the one I always suggest to people wanting to try Linux. Firstly because it just works and it has great hardware support. Secondly, there is a truly GREAT forum to offer help and guidance.

Thank you to the Peppermint Team for an outstanding OS.

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:46:51 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Peppermint is my new Windows
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 04:23:55 am »
Nice testimony !

I need Outlook for work, too.  I'm an IMAP user -- haven't used POP3 in years.  Basically, I leave everything on the mail server(s).

Thunderbird works fine for Outlook.  I access my Outlook via IMAP, through the Microsoft Office 365 servers (smtp.office365.com).

I have mail accounts at numerous organizations, which I need to monitor 24/7.  Thunderbird easily handles everything I need to do, personally and professionally.

Speaking of which, I need to run.  BBL   ;D

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:30:11 am by VinDSL »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:54:07 am »
Thanks Zeb, this is the kind of feedback that makes it all worthwhile :)

I'd tried Linux for the first time around 1995 (Redhat 4.1 IIRC, but could be wrong), good god that was hard work .. I tried it a few times in the intervening years but finally found it workable at Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), by 10.04 I'd gone Linux full time and things only improved at 10.10 before (what I saw as) the downhill slide that became known as Unity which sent me looking for a replacement for Ubuntu.

Since I now had a year and a half invested in learning Ubuntu (and in particular the apt tools) I wanted something else Debian/Ubuntu based. At the time I'd just acquired a netbook with a 4GB SSD so went looking for something light, that ended up being LXDE so I very nearly went with Lubuntu before discovering Peppermint 2 which was not only better looking but also more "cloud" oriented so a better fit for a netbook.

I liked the way Peppermint didn't preload local application software, mainly because of the limited 4GB SSD I had at the time but later decide it was a bonus no matter what the hardware as I spent less time removing stuff I didn't want (which is always harder than installing what I do), from my point of view I'd found the perfect distro so set about making the forum my new home.

A couple of years helping out around here got me in with the Peppermint devs (Shane & Kendall), and they started taking onboard some of my suggestions for improvement (basically the start of incorporating some Xfce components) for Peppermint 4. Peppermint 5 saw the Xfce stuff more front and centre with MUCH improved integration via the Peppermint Control Center.

Kendall dropped out at this point because of other commitments, so I took over development of Peppermint 6, Shane stuck around for a while to help me pick up the reins of the non-development side of things but dropped out just prior to the release of Peppermint 7.

So basically I found Peppermint at version 2 and ended up creating (with input from Shane and Kendall) Peppermint 6, and have run the show entirely since then.

It's been one heck of a journey, an honour to have met (and continue to meet) some great people, and something that couldn't have happened anywhere other that the open source world .. from user to owner in 5 years, who says you can't advance yourself eh!!

Couldn't have done it without the other guys .. forum mods, trusted users, beta testers, and other contributors.

Watch out for me running for President next term :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:35:51 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline JimmyTango

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:39:53 am »
Amen.

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:27:18 am »
zebedeeboss +1  8)

Fantastic story!
The only way forward is Linux and Open Source. And just like you, I think Peppermint OS and TEAM is special!

Thank you to the Peppermint Team for an outstanding OS.

Greets!
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 06:32:18 am »
My first PC was a Dragon32 (UK Tandy TRS80 Clone) in the 80's then onto an AMStrad IBM PC with dual floppy drives!! IIRC
Thereafter it was all versions of MSDOS, Win 3.11 thru to  Win 7 (still have the disks and CD's) and two weeks on Win 10 (the most frustrating 2 weeks of my computing digital life!  >:()
I had PM5 on the netbook for a year and a half (now on PM7) and have now converted 3/4 devices to PM7.
Peppermint has rejuvinated my love for PC's
We wholeheartedly agree with Zeb and so do our devices, they have never worked better for us.  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 06:39:23 am »
If Peppermint is my new Windows, then it's my new XP. (with much better theme options)  Because, I settled with Win 7 even though it was just OK and I never used 8 or 10 much, fortunately.  And, I'm just not even going to discuss Vista, other than to say it's what drove me to Linux in the first place.  XP is the last version of Windows that I really liked.  So, since I love Peppermint, it can only be comparable to XP for me.  (or maybe Win 98SE, which was a damn good OS)

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:30:39 pm »
My foray into Linux began with Ubuntu mainly out of curiosity, that was around October 2010 at that time I was running Windows XP, I liked Ubuntu everything just worked out of the box there was a learning curve but it was fun and I still had Windows XP to fall back on so no risk, so I  decided to try and see if I could use Ubuntu full time, although there were a few applications I couldn't find replacements for I discovered other ways of doing things it wasn't all about finding like for like applications Linux offered ways around things, it was just a question of adapting and thinking differently.

It was during that time I learned about the concept of free software and why it's important and the more i learned the more determined i became to rid myself of Windows or any proprietary code so it became a crusade a crusade I haven't won yet but still fighting

I almost give up on Linux after a bad upgrade ending in Unity which i hated with a passion, as a last resort I tried Mint which renewed my faith In Linux and eventually led me to Peppermint and I've never looked back, since then I've been fortunate to be entrusted as a part of the project in my own small way thanks to our lord and master Mark to whom I'm eternally grateful

It's not always been an easy ride and life possibly would have been much easier if I just stuck with Windows but the best things in life never come easy

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation