Author Topic: Suggestions for next version  (Read 720 times)

Offline gonzo903

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): seven
Suggestions for next version
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:50:50 am »
Cosmetic or functional features that are missing or not easily installed:

Having the ability to create a second shortcut of the menu logout screen

Having the ability to create a trash and volume icon on the panel or desktop

Cannot easily discern (no check mark) when selecting items to install or UNinstall from the Synaptic Package Manager, unless you right click to actually see their status. If you do make any changes, consider color choices for color blind individuals like myself.

Cheers!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Suggestions for next version
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:50:07 pm »
Hi gonzo903 and welcome to the forum :)

If you mean adding one to the panel, it can be done and is covered on this forum but we 'intentionally' didn't add one as I see no benefit of duplicating function.

again, the Peppermint desktop is sparse on purpose .. but these can be added to the desktop via dconf-editor (already covered on the forum)

Cannot easily discern (no check mark) when selecting items to install or UNinstall from the Synaptic Package Manager, unless you right click to actually see their status

I don't know if you've switched themes, but the default looks pretty easy to discern to me (light grey tick boxes on a dark grey background) .. or am I misunderstanding ?

Items marked for installation *do* have a tick mark, and the line turns green
Items marked for removal have an X mark and the line turns red

(click image to enlarge)

Sure, not perfect for red/green colour blindness but isn't that where the ability to add custom themes comes into its own ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:59:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Suggestions for next version
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:57:21 pm »

Cannot easily discern (no check mark) when selecting items to install or UNinstall from the Synaptic Package Manager, unless you right click to actually see their status. If you do make any changes, consider color choices for color blind individuals like myself.

Cheers!

Hi gonzo903,

Greetings and welcome to the forum!  :)

For your first two points, and as PCNetSpec noted, you can find instructions about doing exactly these things right here in the forum. All you need to do is press on the button at the top of the screen with name Search and then enter appropriate key words in the Search function's text field (e.g. "trash icon desktop"). If you still need help with these then post back here on the forum describing your problem -- you should start a new thread for each separate problem with an appropriately descriptive title (such as "Cannot create logout shortcut") and telling us what you have tried and what the result was.

I can sympathise with your problems concerning colors. In the Synaptic package manager it is easy to change the colors to whatever you wish and can better perceive: open Synaptic, then at the top of its window click on the menu item Settings. Then select the item Preferences (that appears in the drop-down menu). In the new window that opens for the Preferences select the tab named Colors and make your changes. When finished click on the Apply button at the bottom of the window.

I hope that this helps.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome