Choose style:

Author Topic: Best way to install Adobe Flash player [SOLVED]  (Read 2441 times)

Offline agiyorks

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 Respin; 64bit
Best way to install Adobe Flash player [SOLVED]
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:03:51 pm »
Hi, my first post is about these 2 queries. Firstly details about my computer below, then would appreciate your advice as I can't do my favourite site's jigsaw puzzles without Flash player! Also a minor irritant is right clicking my mouse after copying text to see the words 'Copy' etc be quickly replaced by a black triangle, which makes life interesting. Thank you in advance.

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: agiyorks-System-Product-Name Kernel: 3.16.0-77-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Six
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5Q-PRO version: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 1613 date: 12/03/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2003.00 MHz 2: 2003.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G73 [GeForce 7600 GT]
           X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@75.1hz, 1024x768@75.1hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV4B GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.16.0-77-generic
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet driver: ATL1E
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 223.0GB (5.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3160811AS size: 160.0GB
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 62.9GB
Partition: ID: / size: 143G used: 11G (9%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 27.0C mobo: 24.0C gpu: 62.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2410 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0
Info:      Processes: 148 Uptime: 15:02 Memory: 816.2/4046.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:00:53 pm by agiyorks, Reason: Encapsulating output with [code »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Best way to install Adobe Flash player & right click shows black rectangle
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:03:51 pm »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
inxi -Fz
then copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Best way to install Adobe Flash player
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:33:45 pm »
Hi agiyorks, welcome to the Peppermint Forum  8).  Can you please restrict each new thread to one topic.  This is to save confusion for future visitors who are looking for a specific solution.  We'll continue to investigate your Flash issue in this thread.  For the graphics on the mouse issue, please start a new thread with a Subject: Text on right mouse click disappears.  I'm modifying the subject line of this thread - many thanks  ;).

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:36:39 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hi agiyorks, how's it going?  What browser are you using?   I ask because Firefox already has Flash.  Have you updated and upgraded your Peppermint7 installation?  If not, open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Copy and paste the following commands in sequence into the terminal window:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
Hit enter and follow the on screen instructions.  Continue with:
sudo apt dist-upgrade
It's very important you reboot your machine as there maybe kernel updates.

Tip: To paste a command into the terminal window, use the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Shift+v  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Flashplayer for Firefox should already be installed .. is it a flash "version" issue ? .. can you give us a link to a site where flash isn't working for you so we can see for ourselves and test solutions ?

As for the right-click context menu issue .. does this happen EVERYWHERE, or just in certain applications ? .. and is it the ENTIRE context menu that goes black or just the "Copy" selection ?

Do right-click context menus work if you login in a Guest session ?

If not, have you tried enabling/disabling desktop effects in the Peppermint Control  Center ?

If that STILL doesn't help, maybe we should try switching from the open source nouveau graphics drivers to the proprietary nvidia ones (?)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:41:32 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline agiyorks

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi, & thank you for the welcome; sorry about asking 2 questions. In answer to your replies about the Flash issue:

I'm using Peppermint 6 which I chose from 5 other distros after getting fed up with Windows & am a complete Linux novice hoping to learn.

The problem occurs with both Chromium & Firefox.

The site is www.jigidi.com.

After selecting a puzzle, when I click on 'Solve Puzzle I get a greyed out screen & the words 'Nothing happening? You probably need the Flash Player'.

Should I upgrade to Peppermint 7, would that help?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Okay for Firefox, try
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
then  close and reopen firefox

There is no longer a flashplayer for 32bit Chromium .. Google dropped support.

If that still doesn't work in Firefox, post the output from:
locate libflashplayer.so

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hi agiyorks, upgrading to Peppermint 7 is really up to you.  Peppermint Six is also a very fine distro.  Peppermint Six is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Long Term Support).  It'll receive support through April 2019Peppermint 7 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  It'll receive support through April 2021.  Both distros have 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  I see you've opted for the 32-bit version.  Your machine will support 64-bit.  This is something to consider, if you wish to use the Chromium Browser or Google Chrome.  All the current Peppermint releases should run very well on your machine  ;).  As I said, the choice is yours.  I personally think Peppermint 7 is a big improvement on the very fine Peppermint Six  ;).

Don't worry about being a newbie; we've all been there  :)Peppermint is an excellent distro to learn about Linux.  Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.  Remember, we're here to help you.  Do this and you'll very quickly be up to speed and probably helping other people  ;)Linux isn't difficult, it's just different to what you're used to  ;).

Offline agiyorks

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Thank you for the info as I had no idea I could use a 64bit version which is a good thing for future support. I will probably upgrade to Peppermint 7 shortly.

I am unable to follow your instructions for the Flash installer with the Firefox browser (with apologies if this should be a new post, but it is about Flash) as I have had to type the sudo apt-get instruction into the terminal as after selecting this I was neither able to right click & paste nor use the keyboard shortcut to achieve the same, then was unable to type in my password when prompted. I checked I could type this password in the text editor, but then couldn't copy & paste this into the terminal either.

I have tried rebooting & trying again twice with no joy.....help!!

Offline agiyorks

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Sorry, forgot to say I can do jigsaws now at www.jigidi.com using the HTML5 option, but this needs to be clicked on for each new jigsaw after viewing the greyed out screen, so not ideal. Still need your help with Flash. Didn't spend much time on a jigsaw.......honest.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Best way to install Adobe Flash player & right click shows black rectangle
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 06:45:47 pm »
Ctrl+C will copy highlighted text in the browser
and
Ctrl+Shift+V will paste into the terminal (once it's the active window)

Typing in your password .. when entering your password in a terminal, the terminal will NOT echo anything to screen (not even ****) but it IS going in, so just type the password then hit enter.

To copy from the terminal - Ctrl+Shift+C

To paste into the browser - Ctrl+V

as you can see, the terminal shortcuts are the same as everywhere else, but also requires the shift key.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:48:15 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline agiyorks

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to install Adobe Flash player & right click shows black rectangle
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 07:59:10 pm »
Thank you, I now have the Flash plugin installed!

I had guessed my password might not show, & had 'typed' it in before hitting Enter. Nothing was working for me......now I've learnt some more keyboard shortcuts & been reminded to clear my browser's cache... which seemed to do the trick.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Best way to install Adobe Flash player [SOLVED]
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:39 pm »
Great stuff .. did clearing the browser cache also fix the right-click context menu issue ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline agiyorks

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to install Adobe Flash player [SOLVED]
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 04:40:31 pm »
The right click mouse problem remains (further reply in my other post.....this one's just about Flash !!!  ;D)