Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED) OEM Install with Peppermint 7?  (Read 996 times)

Offline gpfromnc

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 and 9
(SOLVED) OEM Install with Peppermint 7?
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:07:20 am »
I have an old Dell Dimension with a Pentium 4 processor that I am going to donate to the local thrift shop.  I would like to load Peppermint 7 in "OEM" mode such as one can do using Mint or Ubuntu.   This will allow whoever gets it to be able to enter their name, password, language etc. and make this machine "their computer" as opposed to using what ever username and password I would set for the root account.  Doing it this way has the added benefit of allowing someone coming to linux from a windows background to be able to log on and start using the computer while learning to use a linux based system.  So here's my question.  Is there a way to install Peppermint 7 as oem?
Peppermint is such a great distro.  It combines great performance, especially on an older machine, with a very nice looking and highly configurable desktop.   It will be so great if I can offer this to someone else.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:25:58 am by gpfromnc »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
OEM Install with Peppermint 7?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:07:20 am »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
then copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: OEM Install with Peppermint 7?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:09:09 am »
Hi, this is being considered for the future but is not possible at the moment. It's a good idea, I think.

Offline gpfromnc

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 and 9
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:24:18 am »
Thank you for the quick reply.   Just one more thing I love about Peppermint - the community is great!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 12:35:33 pm »
Thank you for the quick reply.   Just one more thing I love about Peppermint - the community is great!

+1

Amen to that .. we've been very lucky to have attracted some terrific, friendly, and helpful types .. The Peppermint community rocks, and we're SUPER proud of you all :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: (SOLVED) OEM Install with Peppermint 7?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »
+2

I might add, unlike many support sites, this community isn't filled with a bunch of stiff-necked geeks, trying to outdo one another.

Nobody knows everything, i.e. there is no such thing as a 'computer expert'.  There is no competition going on here.

We all have a piece of the puzzle, and freely exchange information.  That's what's so special about this place IMO.   8)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 RC1 / P9 Respin
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 02:41:38 pm »
+3
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 RC1 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 04:16:56 pm »
Hi gpfromnc, you're a Super Star with your donation  8).  We're all very proud of the magnificent community we have here.  We always try to make people comfortable with their system ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 06:42:22 pm »
Actually there **is** a way to set it up as "OEM" (so on the next boot the user is prompted to create an account), but first you need to install Peppermint then install some software .. BUT .. without us modifying the ISO the original account that you used to install will be left behind when the new account is created on first boot by the new owner.

So it kinda **can** be done, but it's not ideal .. the new user may wonder why there's 2 accounts and worry that you've left a backdoor.

As murraymint says, in either the respin or PM8 we'll be adding proper support for OEM installations to the ISO image .. the initial temporary account will then be deleted when the new account is created.

Whether you could remove the initial account via a chroot environment and it still work I'm not sure .. I guess I could test it if you want, but at least for now it's gonna mean some CLI work, which should only be undertaken if you feel comfortable in the CLI (specifically chrooting from a LiveUSB) ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:47:13 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec