Author Topic: old netbook  (Read 2989 times)

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
old netbook
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:07:54 am »
Hi everybody,

I have an old netbook (acer aspire one - 32bit - 1gb RAM) running on W7 and I was wondering if P7 might give a new life to my old machine.  Should I install Peppermint or some other distro (not a fan of puppies...) ?

Any suggestions or experience on similar machines is welcomed :)

Pjotr

Re: old netbook
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 04:15:25 am »
I've just installed Peppermint 7 on two comparable old netbooks, and it runs great on both.  :-)

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 04:26:19 am »
thanks, gonna test it tomorrow  8)

Offline plumtreed

• Been using Peppermint since it's start-up
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 64bit
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 04:31:12 am »
To get some speed out of an old eeePC701 I use Slitaz.  It is small, very flexible and is adaptable for specific needs. The eeePC has only minimal RAM but runs well with Slitaz as long as you use cloud for storage.

Having said that, I use Peppermint 7 on my other PCs.

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 03:44:37 am »
Hi Cost,
Depending on which acer aspire you have, you can upgrade the memory to 2Gb using the crucial website at a low cost.
I did this with our Acer Aspire One 533 a couple of years ago and it made a big difference whilst making it more futureproof.

I'd highly recommend swapping out the hard disk for an SSD and installing PM7, it's well worth the effort.  ;)
Great little netbooks with excellent battery life.

Offline Sokretes

• Seasoned Beginner
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 11:39:22 pm »
I have an Acer Aspire One (model D270) too. Upgrading the memory is a good option. I have upgraded with a 4 meg DDR3 ram module. Not sure if Peppermint uses a PAE kernel (to allow addressing greater than the just over 3 meg limit for 32 bit systems) or not. If your model Aspire One doesn't accept DDR3 (different type of slot) .. get the fastest speed DDR2 you can.

I ditched its hard drive and installed an SSD. When I upgraded I searched Google and found Samsung 840 Pro SSD's to be one of the fastest (albeit several months ago). The problem with Netbooks is that the 'bottleneck' seems to be around the processor (amongst others).. so even though you will get good noticeable increase in boot/shutdown/load-speed..don't expect miracles.

Peppermint 7 is excellent (over my previous Linux distro). Lightweight, feature-packed and customise-able.

I have it dual - booting with Win7 (on a 120 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD) so you don't really miss the 320 gig HD (unless you specifically need that size I guess - but there is a tradeoff).

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:05:04 am »
Yes, you should install Peppermint Os in your netbook.
I have a atom netbook and runs great Peppermint Os.
So...No problem. Enjoy!

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 09:56:34 am »
If you really don't care for looks, and really, really, really REALLY feel like you need the most of your machine, as a begginer you could go Wattos, it's a *bit* faster, smaller and less ram-demanding, i would say something around 11-20% or so, it would be the best if what you're looking is just overall use the most of your machine, as you don't want puppy linux or it's derivatives.
Slitaz will be a bit of a pain, but it's going to make it seem like you're piloting a turbo car, or at least that's what i'm guessing, low ram cost, low disk size, huge speed.
Vsido/SparkyLXDE are a bit more difficult to install than watt/pepper, but they will be even lighter.
If you really want to go for the full light house you would need to either tweak pepper/watt/sli/vsi/spar quite a bit, as it would be easier than making a minimal Debian install. Hope this helps you.
Either way you choose, keep this forurm as a good place of learning, i learnt about Timeshift here, Fluxbox configurating, and those two were pretty helpful (really liking timeshift for all it's sheer power of making my tweakage a bit more safe).

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 04:35:03 am »
Thank you very much for your opinion guys!

I've finally decided to go for Manjaro Netbook and I'm absolutely happy with it. I like trying out new distros, so I keep P7 on my 4gb laptop and manjaro on my older netbook.

Will see if in the long term it's a good decision...

Puppy Linux: looking like  s***, and not even responsive (that's incredible, idk why; I didn't go for Slitaz since it's packaged with tons of applications I don't need on this machine, was just looking to surf the net).

With W7 this machine was actually dead, and wasn't responding at all.

I agree with those who have suggested a ram upgrade, even though just by using Pale Moon I'm quite happy with 1gb.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:36:53 am by cost »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 04:43:35 am »
Great stuff, glad to hear the netbook is now running well, even if it's not with Peppermint :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 12:33:46 am »
Right now switching to P7 for my old netbook. Since its just 1GB of RAM, should I go for the 32 bit iso?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 04:43:07 am »
Right now switching to P7 for my old netbook. Since its just 1GB of RAM, should I go for the 32 bit iso?

If it's the same netbook as you mentioned in the original post, yes because it's a 32-bit machine.  If it's not and your not sure of whether the machine is 32-bit of 64-bit.  Boot the netbook into a 32-bit Live session from a USB stick or DVD/CD.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter, (Copy & Paste) the following command into the terminal window:
Code: [Select]
inxi -FzHit Enter/Return and post the output back to the forum  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 07:45:46 am »

If it's the same netbook as you mentioned in the original post, yes because it's a 32-bit machine.

yes it is, dumb question sorry :P Already running P7

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:48:25 pm »
HAHAH :)), I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one having these kinds of moments  :D!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.