Author Topic: Second day brand new Peppermint7 install - second day Ethernet disconnects  (Read 922 times)

Offline Skara Brae

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
Hi to all "Pepperminters",

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, however I am finding it unlikely: This is my second day in Peppermint 7 (32-bit), and everything looks and works just fine - except, perhaps, wired internet.

Just a few minutes ago, I was disconnected from my home network connection. I checked my PC's uptime, which was a bit over 3  hours. I checked my network connection (by clicking on the network icon at the bottom right in the taskbar), and it said under "IPv4/IP Address, Broadcast Address, Subnet Mask: Unknown."

There also was/is an IPv6 address (which I have now put on "Ignored" - I remember having read, somewhere, some time, IPv4 and IPv6 together might cause problems(?) - and which is probably not an issue).

I disconnected (via aforementioned icon in taskbar), reconnected, and I am back online (obviously).

This particular PC is also (still) running XP Home, and Debian 8.2 "jessie", and both have never gotten disconnected from the Internet.

Why, two days in a row, did Peppermint 7 get disconnected? Yesterday (while I was on the forum, too, and logged in), I assumed it was just a coincidence - but twice in two days (evenings)?

"inxi" information:

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: Conroe Kernel: 4.4.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Peppermint Seven
Machine:   System: product: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5B-MX-GB-VP-SI v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0214 date: 07/06/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E4700 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82946GZ/GL Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 946GZ x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: enp1s2 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 138G used: 5.2G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.92GB used: 0.09GB (2%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 28.0C mobo: 32.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 950 sys-1: 0
Info:      Processes: 170 Uptime: 3:19 Memory: 464.0/2005.6MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

I am running Linux Mint 17.3 on my "main" computer, after having used Ubuntu for several years since 2007, with which I want to say that I am no n00b (but also not an expert). It is therefore that I am starting a thread about this two-days-in-a-row Ethernet disconnection "issue". I find it very strange.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is there something wrong with Peppermint 7?
Registered Linux User #495429

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Second day brand new Peppermint7 install - second day Ethernet disconnects
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 01:09:09 pm »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fzthen copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Skara Brae

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
To reply to my own posting: I am reading in this thread: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4395.0.html and seeing message #9 by AndyInMokum, in which he says:

In your network manager, try setting IPv6 to Ignore.  If that alone doesn't work, try deleting the default ethernet connection.  With some people, (myself included) systemd gets confused which setting to use at boot.  So it tries to use all of them and it doesn't work.  Trimming down the options, seems to clear things up.

I did so. Perhaps I should just wait and see what happens in the next week or so?

But if..., if this keeps/on happening/again, I will give up on Peppermint and try one of my "backup plans" for the Peppermint partition (those being Fedora, Xubuntu, or perhaps BSD). That would be a pity, because I already like Peppermint.
Registered Linux User #495429

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Hi Skara Brae

Instead of giving up on Peppermint - why not provide the information asked for by PCNetSpec so it's there, if your following the other topic doesn't work.

Then let PCNetSpec try and diagnose  the problem with you to fix it.  Not all problems are the same and what doesn't work on one PC may well on another

Either way - good luck

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
There is absolutely nothing different between the networking in Peppermint 7 and anything *ubuntu 16.04 ... so you might wanna give Xubuntu 16.04 a miss.

Maybe try giving your PC a static IP if it's loosing the netmask for some reason.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec