Choose style:

Author Topic: Thinking on adventuring on Slackware  (Read 2051 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Thinking on adventuring on Slackware
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 05:19:46 pm »
You're welcome :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline travis82

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 06:01:41 am »
Just my 2 cents.

I have been using Slackware for 3 years and it happily coexist with my new Peppermint on my Laptop. I don't think stability is the main strenght of Slackware. It could be as unstable as other distros if you don't know what are you doing with your system. Slackware is for those who want to know what happens under the hood and it's KISS approach make it a good OS to learn Unix. Using Slackware as a desktop OS means spending times to read docs, configure system and installing packages. Unlike Debian or Ubuntu, Slackware doesn't have big binary repository. So, you should compile your favourites manually or use Slackbuilds for automating the build process. Whilst there are many third party repos for Slackware, they are not endorsed by Slackware and you should always take them with a grain of salt.
Having said that, I like Slackware. It forces me to read and improve my knowledge. But, sometimes you need a stable, more ready to use system to do your daily works and focus on your main business. That's why I use Peppermint.

Sorry for my english 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 07:45:09 am »
Hey travis82, I have no idea why you're apologising for your English it's better than mine .. and I'm English :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec