Author Topic: is it possible to switch back to 64-bit? (Solved)  (Read 2165 times)

Offline TechyGirl

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Seven
is it possible to switch back to 64-bit? (Solved)
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:12:45 am »
When i purchased my computer i was running Windows 7. I eventualy switched to Windows 10 and then Linux. While running Windows, my pc was 64-bit, now that im using Linux, its 32-bit. Could someone explain this, and also if i can go back to 64-bit, how?  :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:07:17 pm by TechyGirl »
--Techy Girl

Im dainty, but i can hang with the big dowgs

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
is it possible to switch back to 64-bit os?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:12:45 am »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fzthen copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline TechyGirl

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible to switch back to 64-bit os?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:19:57 am »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
inxi -Fzthen copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)

$ inxi -Fz
System:    Host: TechyGirl Kernel: 4.4.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: 520-1020 v: 1.04
           Mobo: PEGATRON model: 2AC3 v: 1.04
           Bios: AMI v: 7.08 date: 11/30/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium G620 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 1994 MHz 2: 1937 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT5392 PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rt2800pci
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp7s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (3.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3500413AS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 14G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 180 Uptime: 1:19 Memory: 872.4/3946.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
--Techy Girl

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:25:14 am »
Sure you can install Peppermint 7 64bit, but there's no way to do it as an 'update', it will require a FULL reinstall.

Just be sure to download the 64bit ISO this time around ;)

Direct link to the Peppermint 7 64bit ISO image:
https://peppermintos.com/iso/Peppermint-7-20160616-amd64.iso
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline TechyGirl

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:32:40 am »
Sure you can install Peppermint 7 64bit, but there's no way to do it as an 'update', it will require a FULL reinstall.

Just be sure to download the 64bit ISO this time around ;)

Direct link to the Peppermint 7 64bit ISO image:
https://peppermintos.com/iso/Peppermint-7-20160616-amd64.iso

thanks... also, would i lose all of my info that i have saved?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:34:26 am by TechyGirl »
--Techy Girl

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
Re: is it possible to switch back to 64-bit?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »
You need to backup your info/files on a flashdrive or whatever before 64bit installation.
Better safe than sorry.. ;)

Offline TechyGirl

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible to switch back to 64-bit?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 12:06:39 pm »
You need to backup your info/files on a flashdrive or whatever before 64bit installation.
Better safe than sorry.. ;)

Thnks!
--Techy Girl

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 12:36:56 pm »
would i lose all of my info that i have saved?

YES, you will loose everything because you're going to need to do a FULL reinstall .. so as acer say's, backup any user files to an externl source first.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline TechyGirl

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 03:50:47 pm »
would i lose all of my info that i have saved?

YES, you will loose everything because you're going to need to do a FULL reinstall .. so as acer say's, backup any user files to an externl source first.

Okay ive backed everything up, and ive downloaded the 64 bit version, but now im at a standstill. Im not sure how to get the instillation started. I guess i assumed that it would start automatically once i clicked on the finished download. I appreciate any advice... Thanks
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:53:15 pm by TechyGirl »
--Techy Girl

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: is it possible to switch back to 64-bit? (Solved)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 05:29:58 pm »
Hi TechyGirl, how's it going?  With the 64-bit Peppermint 7 ISO you just downloaded, you'll have to make a LiveUSB/DVD.  The LiveUSB stick option is the most popular method, so that's the way I'll explain things. 

Format a USB thumb drive with Peppermint's own USB Stick Formatter.  An 8GB one is plenty big enough, even a 4GB if you're lucky enough to still have one of those, is just fine.  This can be found by navigating to:
  • menu > System Tools > USB Stick Formatter
From the Format list, select your USB drive.  Select the FAT32 file system.  Label it something if you want.  Select: Format and enter your user password when asked.  It'll take a few moments to complete.  Now to install your Peppermint 7 64-bit ISO.  Navigate to:
  • menu > System Tools > USB Image Writer
From: Write image, select your Peppermint 7 64-bit ISO.  It'll probably be in your Downloads folder.  In the next field, select the USB Stick you've just formatted.  Select and click on: Write.  Enter your user password when asked.  This process will take a few minutes to complete, so go and grab a cup of coffee  :).

Now that's complete, shutdown your machine and boot into your newly created LiveUSB Stick, (it maybe necessary to enter your BIOS and adjust the boot order).  After Peppermint 7 has booted up, make sure your computer has an internet connection, either by attaching your ethernet cable or by accessing your WiFi.  Double click on the desktop icon to launch the Ubiquity Installer

CheckHave you backed up all of your critical data?  Installing Peppermint 7 64-bit over your existing Peppermint 7 32-bit will erase all data on this partition.

If this is a straightforward installation with no dual booting with Windows, or any other operating system.  Go through the simple installation procedure, step by step.  If you are dual booting and need assistance, please let us know.  I hope this is helpful for you  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline TechyGirl

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 05:50:11 pm »
Hi TechyGirl, how's it going?  With the 64-bit Peppermint 7 ISO you just downloaded, you'll have to make a LiveUSB/DVD.  The LiveUSB stick option is the most popular method, so that's the way I'll explain things. 

Format a USB thumb drive with Peppermint's own USB Stick Formatter.  An 8GB one is plenty big enough, even a 4GB if you're lucky enough to still have one of those, is just fine.  This can be found by navigating to:
  • menu > System Tools > USB Stick Formatter
From the Format list, select your USB drive.  Select the FAT32 file system.  Label it something if you want.  Select: Format and enter your user password when asked.  It'll take a few moments to complete.  Now to install your Peppermint 7 64-bit ISO.  Navigate to:
  • menu > System Tools > USB Image Writer
From: Write image, select your Peppermint 7 64-bit ISO.  It'll probably be in your Downloads folder.  In the next field, select the USB Stick you've just formatted.  Select and click on: Write.  Enter your user password when asked.  This process will take a few minutes to complete, so go and grab a cup of coffee  :).

Now that's complete, shutdown your machine and boot into your newly created LiveUSB Stick, (it maybe necessary to enter your BIOS and adjust the boot order).  After Peppermint 7 has booted up, make sure your computer has an internet connection, either by attaching your ethernet cable or by accessing your WiFi.  Double click on the desktop icon to launch the Ubiquity Installer

CheckHave you backed up all of your critical data?  Installing Peppermint 7 64-bit over your existing Peppermint 7 32-bit will erase all data on this partition.

If this is a straightforward installation with no dual booting with Windows, or any other operating system.  Go through the simple installation procedure, step by step.  If you are dual booting and need assistance, please let us know.  I hope this is helpful for you  ;).

Hey AndyInMokum, thank you soooooo much for your reply. Im about to get started and i'll be back (hopefully on my 64bit version) to let you know how smooth it went.... lol I appreciate all of the help
  :D
--Techy Girl

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 12:22:26 am »
Hi TechyGirl,

After getting your important personal data backed up, you should also read this tutorial and try to get it set up on your new installation. It is very easy to make new installations or to back up personal data when the tutorial has been followed. If you need any help with it, ask back here on the forum.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 04:35:59 am »
Hi TechyGirl,

After getting your important personal data backed up, you should also read this tutorial and try to get it set up on your new installation. It is very easy to make new installations or to back up personal data when the tutorial has been followed. If you need any help with it, ask back here on the forum.

Regards,

-- Slim
I wholeheartedly agree with Slim-Fatz.  Setting up a /DATA partition will simplify future distro upgrades immensely.  You're in a ideal position to do this too.  I should have mentioned it  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.