Choose style:

Author Topic: WTF? Windows 10 now actually losing market share  (Read 2880 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
WTF? Windows 10 now actually losing market share
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:56:59 pm »

By Wayne Williams

http://betanews.com/2016/10/01/wtf-windows-10-losing-share/

I can't say that I'm too surprised at this news.  Even though it was free, my short-lived experiment with Windows 10 wasn't particularly pleasant. 
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: WTF? Windows 10 now actually losing market share
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:00:00 pm »
Reposted on LinkedIn.

Thx !  ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:26:37 pm »
This was to be expected once the "free" copies stopped rolling out, whether or not people wanted them.  People are probably going back to Windows 7.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:22:38 pm »
I never saw winders 8/8.1 in the wild, but ...

Didn't ppl like that ?  Why are they switching back to winders 7  :-\

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:46:05 am »
I never saw winders 8/8.1 in the wild, but ...

Didn't ppl like that ?  Why are they switching back to winders 7  :-\

They hated the "Metro" interface of 8.0 and the mickey mouse menu of 8.1 did not satisfy them...

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 01:31:24 am »
Why are they switching back to winders 7  :-\

Because it has a regular desktop interface, not that stupid mobile crap.  Too bad they don't know how awesome Linux is.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 04:10:13 am »
I think we should thank M$ for Windows 10 and hope it's indeed their last OS...  :D

This was to be expected once the "free" copies stopped rolling out, whether or not people wanted them.  People are probably going back to Windows 7.
Like you say, after they stopped forcing it on their own consumers the growth stopped...

Why are they switching back to winders 7  :-\

Because it has a regular desktop interface, not that stupid mobile crap.  Too bad they don't know how awesome Linux is.
Some of them do know!  8)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64bit
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 05:07:19 am »
[Rant start]  >:(

As an MS OS user since windows for workgroups 3.11 on a 486DX2 66MHz CPU with 2Mb Ram  Good! Serves them right!

Considering that Win 8 was a transition period combining PC/Tablet interface to work in conjunction with mobile phones, and all beyond that MS has stuck with it, I'm not surprised a bit.
Karma is taking place at MS.  ;D

Win XP & Win7 will always be the best home-user OSes MS has produced but, the new rollout patch scheme starting this month will put an end to the Win7 legacy.
Their QA dept is non existant when it comes to windows update since the introduction of win 10.
MS stuck on belated mobile tech/interface that they were far too late to adopt again..(Googles domination of the search engine) MS missed that boat too.

I tried and hated Windows 10 malware for about a fortnight, an OS in a straight jacket!
So back to win7 and closed all the portals to GWX campaign and now windows updates.
I use the catalogue and download individual patches when and only if needed.

Note: I'm not an MS hater, just disillusioned with their ethics, resorting to corporate malware, virtually no QA dept and forced downgrades to Win 10
[Rant over]
Feel much better now  ;D

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:34 am »
I never switched I stayed with windows 7, it is the best windows they ever made...
With the problems my aunt is having with windows 10 upgrade right now, I don't think I will ever try it because it is not stable at all...  After 6 hours of trying to get it to connect to the internet I finally called Verizon DSL and they tested the modem, and they told me there is a device on the router that is causing the problem....  that device was the only device hooked to the router her tower with windows 10...  as soon as I unplugged the lan cable from the windows ten tower, the two laptops popped right online again....   The tech guy at verizon claimed the windows ten upgrade we did on the machine was the problem, and he suggested I download the full version of win 10 and do a clean install for her... However I am going to take my windows 7 disc along for the ride to my aunts house, in case she wants to go back to windows 7 again....   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 09:07:41 am »
I'd say that Spencer Rhodes' first couple of sentences, which can be found buried in the comment section below the article, pretty much summed up my experience with Windows 10.   

People asking their tech savvy friends what this Linux stuff is all about after win 10 updates and reboots at a very inopportune time or they get sick of Cortana constantly trying to be oh so helpful all the time. Or my favorite: they log on after an update and find all the dumb***[Edit mine] bloatware that they uninstalled has been reinstalled by windows updater, because of course you want Skype, you must've uninstalled it by mistake, not to worry friend we'll fix that for ya. --Spencer Rhodes

Really, who wants that experience?  In my case I wanted Skype --not Skype Preview-- so I had to uninstall Skype Preview and then install Skype from online.  But he's right; every time you go back to your programs, you see that new programs have been installed without your permission.  I suffer much less using Skype's 2014 version 4.3.0.37 in Linux than using Windows 10 with Skype's latest version.

Also, let's not forget that Windows 10 still needs an antivirus program too.  Yeah, it's included in the software, but that fact that you need one is disconcerting.  Its builtin firewall appears to have plenty of holes, or exceptions, too.  Speaking only for myself after using Linux for several years, my experience with Windows 10 felt a little bit creepy.

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 09:55:49 am »
I believe that we're seeing a dawn of Windows. Most people I know use it for 3 reasons:
a) that's what they know
b) that's where the games are
c) that's what the PC came with

Windows 8 broke part a. Steam and Vulkan are breaking b. C is the biggest problem for the forseeable future, one that got much more important with the rise of laptops.

As for me, I had Win XP on my first PC, in 2004. It worked, games worked, no problems. We got it upgraded to Vista, had some hardware upgrades. It still works, even though it chuggs a lot slower these days.
My laptop, in 2013, came with Windows 8 on it. I hated that thing with passion. Windows 8.1 upgrade made it much more acceptable, and I didn't really think there were alternatives. My father showed me Ubuntu in a VM, but none of my games were on it, so I just accepted the fate. SuperKey+X and a handful of shortcuts was what I used instead of Start menu(I only when to Metro interface by misclicks  ;D and the reader app. It had decent TTS integration).
Then 2015 brought along a "free" Windows 10 update. I finally tried it during winter break in 2016, hoping it would be back to things I respected. Vista for one, or Windows 7 which people praised, even though I've actually never had on my gear. Oh, boy this things was SLOOOOOOOOW. Seriously, I know that i3 and 4 GB RAM might not be that high end, but why would the system menus lag? This was unnacceptable, so I went back to Win8.
Before upgrading to Windows 10, I read a bit about it. for some reason, one of the articles mentioned a guy called RMS. I've been subscribed to his blog ever since. From Stallman, I ran into Distrowatch, where I lurked for 5 months, reading reviews and trying to understand what Linux was. I ran into Peppermint, and a bit as a detox after Win10 bloat, installed a lightweight system. And here I am, not going back.

I'm also NOT going to install windows to any of my grandpas&mas and grandmas who want to go digital, but I'm still not sure about the distribution they could work with. I'd put PeppermintOS for them, but the language barrier is too big(they don't speak English), and not enough parts of the OS are translated. Especially the settings screens are half translated and it's far from ideal. I'll probably give them Mint, or vanilla Ubuntu, as all they ever need is Firefox+LO+PDFviewer+photo viewer, none of which are hard to come by, and the automatic updates on Linux will significantly ease my maintenance time. I think they might even be taught to do that by themselves.

As for people my age(teens, early 20s), we'll see Windows start seriously loosing market share when Vulkan completely replaces DirectX. For now, going to Linux means giving up 75% of your games. When that's <30%, they'll switch. I can see that every time Windows update kicks into the middle of their session, they cringe. Step by step, they'll make the change happen.
And once it does, it will snowball.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:15:16 am by Pikolo »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 10:48:22 am »
Translations for the Peppermint 'parts' is something I'm planning, but I doubt if it'll happen in Peppermint 7 .. maybe 8 :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 11:17:09 am »
b) that's where the games are

Unfortunately, that is still mainly true.  Are there games for Linux?  Sure there are.  There are even some exceptional ones.  However, Valve was the main reason that a lot of big developers started looking at Linux.  First, they developed Steam for Linux, which is fantastic.  Then they even released their own Linux-based OS and their own "consoles."  (low profile PCs that look like game consoles and run SteamOS)  Unfortunately, SteamOS is based on Debian stable, which has issues, especially if you like current software, which isn't usually present in the stable releases, not even at the time of release.  Plus, SteamOS is a very specialized version of Debian, with a focus on gaming.  It runs Steam by default in Big Picture mode.  So, most people who run it will be ignorant of the other benefits of Linux.  However, if they had really continued development, SteamOS could have been great.

Unfortunately, Valve has the collective attention span of a gnat.  Since Steam runs on Win8/8.1 and Win10, (albeit not without issues, according to the massive amount of threads on the Steam forums) Valve has pretty much stopped pushing Linux.  Since their initial release last year, they've even stopped pushing their Steam Machines.  All they seem to be focused on right now is VR.  ::)  About 99.8% of all computer VR games are being developed for Windows only.

Another issue not in favor of gaming on Linux is the "most popular" distributions.  I see more people on the Steam forums having issues with games not running correctly in Mint and Ubuntu than anything else.  Of course, that could simply be because they are such popular distributions and more people are running them, or it could be something else.  If memory serves, I have had issues with Steam on Mint, but it's been ages since I tried to run it.  I have no issues at all with Steam on Peppermint.  However, people have these issues and think Linux isn't good for gaming, so they go back to Windows.  Others see all of the threads where people are having issues and (completely ignoring the 100x as many threads with people having issues on Windows) stay with Windows.

So, with no driving force behind them, most major game studios are still ignoring Linux.  Even indie developers, who would do well on Linux, don't seem to be paying much attention to Linux.  So, we still see the major trends in gaming staying the same:  Everyone develops for Windows.  Of those, a small percentage develop for Mac OS.  Even less develop for Linux.

It's a frustrating situation, but it's not like there aren't games for Linux.  I have many in my ever increasing Linux library.  The issue is, getting gamers to let go of that ability to buy and run any game that has been released.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:18:45 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 11:26:23 am »
Ah, but I think Pikolo's point was - If/when game houses start making games for Vulkan rather than DirectX, porting Windows games that leverage Vulkan to Linux / OS X should be trivial for the devs ;)

That may even be what Steam are waiting for (?)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:28:47 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 11:31:13 am »
Hi PCNetSpec,

Which distribution would you suggest for the language considerations of Pikolo's grandparents as well as their need for ease of use?

I'm guessing that Ubuntu probably would have Pikolo's grandparents language needs covered.  For ease of use, I still think that Ubuntu's Unity is as simple as simple can be right out of the box.  A lot of people like Mint's Cinnamon DE, but I don't believe it's easier to use than Ubuntu's default Unity UI --but Mint Cinnamon edition does look and feel more like Windows 7.

In rjm65's case, concerning ease of use for his aunt, I don't know about Windows 10.  I never tried Windows 10 with Cortana.  I don't know if Cortana makes computing easier or not.  :-\  It's an intrusive program, I know that for certain.  rjm65, if you're reading this, and if your aunt wants to continue using Windows, keep that Windows 7 disc nearby. ;)

perknh

@scifidude79

I thought Steam OS was going to be the bridge to better gaming in Linux.  This sure is a bummer reading what you and Pikolo have to say about gaming in Linux.  I say this because gamers are often on the cutting edge of computing.  I don't want to see Windows monopolizing anything, including gaming.