Choose style:

Author Topic: WTF? Windows 10 now actually losing market share  (Read 2791 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: WTF? Windows 10 now actually losing market share
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 11:36:41 am »
That would depend on the hardware perknh .. probably Xubuntu or Mint Xfce .. light(ish) but fully featured.
(my respect for Xfce is growing daily .. as VinDSL put it 'it has a lot of hidden gems, that just keep giving')

But its not my decision .. Xfce might not suit either the hardware or grandparents ;)

[EDIT]

And NO, don't anyone read too much into that .. we already have most of the best bits from Xfce in Peppermint.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:39:47 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 12:01:38 pm »
I'm guessing that Ubuntu probably would have Pikolo's grandparents language needs covered.  For ease of use, I still think that Ubuntu's Unity is as simple as simple can be right out of the box.

I thought Steam OS was going to be the bridge to better gaming in Linux.  This sure is a bummer reading what you and Pikolo have to say about gaming in Linux.  I say this because gamers are often on the cutting edge of computing.  I don't want to see Windows monopolizing anything, including gaming.

I used to play 2 games: World of Tanks and War Thunder.
 WoT released an official tutorial, how to run it with Wine... 2 years ago. I tried following it with the updated components, and failed. I tried with Play on Linux, failed again and gave up. After all, it's games that should seek after players, right?
 WT on the other hand is heavily focused on being portable. They support 7 types of hardware, including SteamOS, Steam ran on Linux and a standalone Linux version, except it's not a .deb file, no that would be too much to ask for ;) It runs on minimal settings, similarly to it's Windows performance(thx Intel HD! No irony here, GJ for making it work so well), but that's just because my laptop isn't meant for games.
If you follow OMG Ubuntu, new games are releasing Linux versions daily, and newer games usually have them right from full release(alpha/beta releases on Linux are something I've yet to see). They usually have 40% lower performance compared to DirectX implementations, and this is especially relevant on machines that have to choose between 30 FPS and medium settings

My grandparents are Polish, and I know the language is available on Ubuntu. They even have a polish portal(http://ubuntu.pl/), albeit the language on it is very... stiff? formal? artificially sounding for sure. But correct and understandable. Unfortunately, I don't know how well is the system translated.
Some programs are translated better than the others, for example Open Office(haven't bothered to upgrade it to since before the LO fork) has a beautiful translation.
I tried using Peppermint in Polish and gave up quickly. The translation is half-done and leads to a lot of confusion. Translation is something that Linux has catching up to do, or at least so I though. My Vista is 100% in Polish. My grandparents Windows 7 is a mix, and if not for Team Viewer, they would need to seek a local professional. But if Windows continues to degrade, that will make the barrier of entry ever lower.
BTW, if you need help with the translation PCNetSpec, I should be able to help. I'm on the first year cybersecurity, so I should get the basics of OS inner workings by winter

The DE performance doesn't matter that much, though I'd probably try to get them Cinnamon as it looks similar to what they consider a desktop. Unless I'm missing something, the default XFCE layout mirrors the OSX shell
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:22:29 pm by Pikolo »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 12:38:50 pm »
Default in Xubuntu may mirror OS X as far as having a dockbar and panel at the top .. Mint Xfce on the other hand, well see for yourself in this screenshot tour ;)
http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mint-17-3-rosa-xfce-screenshot-tour-498731.shtml#sgal_0

That said Cinnamon is a good DE too, if a little heavy.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:42:47 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 02:23:17 pm »
Hi Pikolo

If you're looking for a Polish language distro Sparky Linux might be worth a look, it's Polish in origin although I've never used it myself but it seems to get good reviews and as far as I understand do LXDE, OpenBox, E17 & MATE, versions

http://sparkylinux.org/

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 11:22:24 pm »
That may even be what Steam are waiting for (?)

@scifidude79

I thought Steam OS was going to be the bridge to better gaming in Linux.  This sure is a bummer reading what you and Pikolo have to say about gaming in Linux.  I say this because gamers are often on the cutting edge of computing.  I don't want to see Windows monopolizing anything, including gaming.

Unfortunately, there seems to be more of an anti-Linux vibe at Steam these days.  Steam has a mechanic built into it where it's supposed to only show you games in the OS of your choice.  It doesn't work.  Indeed, it even has really frustrating things it does.  For example, if I choose to look at New Releases, it automatically has Windows and Mac OS filters activated, making me deactivate them and choose the Linux filter.  And, this happens when running the Steam client on Linux.  Similarly, we used to be able to filter our Discovery Queues to show us only games in our OS of choice, they did away with that.  Anymore, mine is full of mainly Windows games.  ::)  Many of us have pointed out these flaws, but Valve doesn't care enough to do anything about it.  That plus their treatment of Steam OS makes me doubt their commitment to Linux.

When they first brought out Steam for Linux and ported all of their games over, they were afraid that Steam wouldn't run on Win8.  However, it does and it runs on Win10.  So, I think their priorities have shifted.  Now all they seem to care about is VR. ::)

Windows 10 losing in the market share race may be a shot in the arm for Linux and Linux gaming, or it may not.  It's hard to say.  Win7 has support until 2020.  Plus, some people apparently don't care about that.  There are still people using XP. :o
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:26:02 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 10:00:36 am »
Hm, Valve appears to have fixed some of those issues.  That or it's a fluke.  My Discovery Queue today was full of only games available for Linux.  I also hit "New Releases" and it appropriately had the OS filter for SteamOS/Linux activated.  Maybe they do give a crap.  *shrugs*

Though, they broke at least one other thing on there, so...

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 06:09:51 am »
WTF? Windows 10 now actually losing market share

I know, I know ... Welcome to 2016; but I thought it was time to revisit this thread.  ;D

In my (principle) workplace, they're finally converting 10s of 1000s of W7P desktop machines to W10P.

Truthfully, and surprisingly, I haven't heard any complaints. I think '10' has finally come of age.

Personally, I'm beta testing 'Redstone 5' now. I don't know HOW it happened.

I've been on 'Fast Ring' since its inception, but during my last update, they skipped me ahead to 'Skip Ahead (Build 17604)'.

There are only so many seats available on the 'Skip Ahead' Buildfeed, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Basically, I'm running the Fall Edition now, with ‘Ultimate Performance’ mode for power users, ReFS, beta apps and all that.

Things are likely to get shaky, but that's okay. I really don't NEED winders for anything except the MS Office Suite.

Anyway, I judge '10' is here to stay. Peppermint OS + W10P (dual-booted) is a wicked combination. ...  8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:27:41 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 10:57:23 am »
Truthfully, and surprisingly, I haven't heard any complaints. I think '10' has finally come of age.

And yet I've had a plethora of calls this week from people who's audio has disappeared after an update .. Win10 routinely breaks stuf, or undoes user system settings on updates.
(sure the Windows audio troubleshooter fixes the issue .. but that's buried in the stupid new "settings" panel thingy)

I don't remember breakage and settings being reset being "the norm" in Win7.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 12:48:29 pm »
I'm not a winders user, so I can't really say. I just like to Toy with it, for something different to do.

The only machine I have to maintain is the missus', and usually it's a matter of PEBCAK.

I wouldn't want to depend on it for anything mission-critical.

Then, there's the anti-virus software ... LoL!

I was curious how I got moved to 'Skip Ahead' - that's all. Seems like an odd fluke; if it was a fluke.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:29:43 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 01:09:51 pm »
If it weren't for updates continually breaking things and undoing user settings I think Win10 would be a major "hit" with Windows users, and they;d MUCH prefer it over 7

But that's not what i'm seeing/hearing .. I'm constantly hearing "damn updates broke it again" .. and I can't even turn updates off.

If users are wanting to disable updates, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

I've come across people "living with" issues like no sound/touchpad/messed up screen resolution/etc. because they don't know how to fix the issues themselves and are fed up with having to pay someone to "fix" their PC every couple of weeks ::)
(and the people paid to fix the issue can't make it permanent even if they wanted to)

This is not me doing the anti-Microsoft/Windows dance (personally I couldn't care less) .. it's what I'm hearing and seeing from Windows users.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:13:59 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 01:57:21 pm »
Why are they switching back to winders 7  :-\

Because it has a regular desktop interface, not that stupid mobile crap.  Too bad they don't know how awesome Linux is.

They all use linux... but don't know it on all of their cellphones, almost none of my family and friends use anything but their cellphones anymore...
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 07:27:00 pm »
I'm constantly hearing "damn updates broke it again" .. and I can't even turn updates off.

I guess I live a blessed life  ;)

I have pretty much left winders 10 alone ... except for giving it a Peppermint Seven makeover.

'Redstone 5' Preview with Peppermint OS Seven Theme
[close]

'10' comes with more options OOTB than I'll ever need or use. And, Dell and Intel do a good job of updating the drivers/BIOS.

I've done numerous (what we call) distro-upgrades, and the only thing that 'breaks' is the ancient trackpad software that I prefer.

Peppermint and '10' are both running with UEFI and Secure Boot enabled, without any issues,et cetera.

Maybe that will all change now on the ''Skip Ahead' Buildfeed. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, here's to swimming with bow-legged women ...   8)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:15:21 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 07:46:04 pm »
They all use linux... but don't know it on all of their cellphones, almost none of my family and friends use anything but their cellphones anymore...

Funny you should mention cellphones.

This 'Redstone 5' build allows users to create and use a PIN to login, instead of a password, just like on cellphones.

Technically speaking, it's two factor auth, e.g.  both Username/Password + PIN, but who's counting?

Maybe this feature has always been there, and I didn't "know it", but now it asks if you want it enabled. I Did. LoL!  :D

I'll take a PIN over a password any day. Why? The same reason I use a PIN on my cellphone ...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:42:25 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 08:07:03 pm »
Why are they switching back to winders 7  :-\

Because it has a regular desktop interface, not that stupid mobile crap.  Too bad they don't know how awesome Linux is.

Unless they have an iPhone.  iOS is most definitely not Linux.