Choose style:

Author Topic: Chris Were Reviews Peppermint (again)  (Read 1843 times)

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
Re: Chris Were Reviews Peppermint (again)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 03:59:33 pm »
Aesthetically speaking, they're very much in-sync with each other. The panels, XFWM4. Most people I know are fond of XFCE, so it makes for a good selling point.
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 05:02:42 pm »
Yep, Xfce has some great components .. it why we make heavy use of them :)

In fact if we were to use just one, it'd be a coin toss between LXDE and Xfce .. luckily they're both very modular, so we don't have to.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 05:29:29 pm »
In a pick-n-choose scenario between the two, I'd have cling onto XFCE. The panel, plugins, and Whisker Menu can't be matched by what LXDE offers imo.
On the other hand, LXDE is the king of session management.

XFCE 4.12 (compliments MX 17 VM. awesome distro):

Peppermint/LXDE:

Maybe some would find XFCE more useful in that regard, but the lack of program entries in 'Preferred Applications' really burns me.
Both fall short as far as file managers are concerned. That's why I like Peppermint so much. Where one falls flat, the other picks up  :)
(old nautilus 4 life)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:34:45 pm by 11ryanc »
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 06:30:34 pm »
In a pick-n-choose scenario between the two, I'd have cling onto XFCE. The panel, plugins, and Whisker Menu can't be matched by what LXDE offers imo.
On the other hand, LXDE is the king of session management.

This what defines Peppermint and makes it stand out in the crowd  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 07:04:41 pm »
I knew joining this cult was a good idea

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 05:54:15 am »
I like XFce and i'm glad to see Peppermint is putting effort into creating something quite unique and efficient by using software's modularity.
That's what i like about Pmint, standing out of the crowd  while still offering a Fast, light & enjoyable distribution (i think that's what every distro should try to do, since they can do it on Linux ) .

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 08:09:13 am »
i think that's what every distro should try to do, since they can do it on Linux

Couldn't agree more Ly, code (and entire application) reuse in new and imaginative ways via modularity is/was a MAJOR strength of open source. It seems to be declining with the recent all inclusive DE's (and other software) that don't lend themselves to modularity or component 'borrowing' without using the entire thing .. I think it's sad to see.

Let's take for example the the Brisk menu - if you want it you need to use the panel it was designed for, that isn't a problem in and of itself (so does the whiskermenu), but unlike the xfce4-panel installing the mate-panel wants to bring in the entire mate-desktop as a dependency. I just don't understand why these design (and packaging) decisions are made :-\ .. what ever happened to modularity and making it easy to use elsewhere (by "easy" I mean 'by users' and not requiring a rewrite by a coder).

I'm not "picking on" the brisk menu or mate-panel in particular (there are PLENTY of far worse examples), it's just a creeping and pervasive change of mindset in the way open source is developed,  with modularity taking a back seat (outside code snippet availability) .. people would be outraged if say the "ls" command could no longer be piped to the "grep" command because the author of "ls" wrote his own search tool and tied "ls" to it.

I'm a BIG fan of stuff being "pluggable" .. it's precisely how Linux developed in the first place, in a "I'll make it as standalone and pluggable as possible so others can easily take my code and plug it into someone else's equally pluggable code in a way I didn't think of" fashion .. as I said, modularity was a  once a cornerstone of how the Linux ecosystem worked and I'm a BIG fan of it .. sadly it seems to be on the decline with a more holistic approach creeping in.
Often promoted by the same people who say things like "there should be only one" (package type/desktop environment/Xfce distro/init system/etc.).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:18:25 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec