Author Topic: apt-get update "errors" ? SOLVED  (Read 907 times)

Offline ColonelPanic

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
    • Linux Linx 2016
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
apt-get update "errors" ? SOLVED
« on: October 01, 2016, 07:49:24 am »
Did not expect that I would be asking a n00b question minutes after installing v.7 but...
When I ran sudo apt-get update for the first time, everything appeared OK except that these "errors" were listed at the end -
Code: [Select]
Reading package lists... Done
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list:57
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:55 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
Further information:
The line:
is BS - because the additional-repositories.list is a file I just created and contains only 2 lines:
deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main
deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main
So, to tell me it is "configured multiple times" is nonsense.
Any idea why these (false) error messages are generated?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:42:01 am by ColonelPanic »
AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
apt-get update "errors" ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:49:24 am »
To help us help you, ALL new requests for technical support should include basic system information.

If you haven't already done so, please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fzthen copy what was returned in the terminal and post it back here.

This was an automated response but please don't ignore it, providing this information now is highly likely to save time for both you and any prospective respondents and aid in the diagnosis of your problem  .. Thanks in advance :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline ColonelPanic

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
    • Linux Linx 2016
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: apt-get update "errors" ?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 07:59:12 am »
Got it fixed. I manually edited  gksudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list and found ONE duplicate. Now sudo apt-get update runs without error. Thanks, and have a wonderful day  ::)
AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 08:01:20 am »
Glad you got it sorted .. and welcome to the forum by the way :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 08:06:11 am »
Welcome to the forum ColonelPanic and hope you enjoy Peppermint 7 as much as I and others do  ;D

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:42:49 am »
Got it fixed. I manually edited  gksudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list and found ONE duplicate. Now sudo apt-get update runs without error. Thanks, and have a wonderful day  ::)

Hi ColonelPanic

Glad to see you got it fixed and Welcome aboard.

Can you pop back to the first post and click "Modify" and append  [SOLVED]  to the Subject line so that people with a similar problem can search and find how you fixed it.

Thanks and Regards

Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k