Choose style:

Author Topic: PM8 ideas?  (Read 3633 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: PM8 ideas?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 01:38:54 pm »
I tend to agree with travis82, lxtask is minimal but functional .. if users want something heavier (even if only a bit) they can install whatever they choose.

The Peppermint ethos dictates we don't make software choices for our users beyond what is necessary .. in fact I'd be more inclined to do away with a task manager altogether if I didn't consider it pretty necessary for the vast majority.

A few kilobytes may not sound like much, but if we did that with ALL packages.....

That said, show me a function of another task manager that the vast majority of users would consider "necessary" and I'll certainly consider it .. but you'll have to tell me the exact name of the package, "system monitor" doesn't tell me much ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »
I specifically mentioned gnome-system-monitor in my first post, and there is a package with that name in the repositories.

The part I find necessary is the network history graph. As far as I'm aware, lxtask has nothing like it. I've spent about 2 days looking for a way to monitor my transfer after first installing Peppermint (my first GNU/Linux distro ever actually).
First I looked for something inside XFCE, because I didn't want to pull dependencies(I probably had too much reading on KDE/Gnome incompatibility for my minuscule level of Linux experience). I accidentally discovered that Cinnamon/Unity/Gnome/XFCE/LXDE are built using GTK and quite cross compatible, and settled on gnome-system-monitor.

The application I wanted to substitute was Windows Task Manager, in it's Windows 8 incarnation:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:31:40 pm by Pikolo »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 06:54:01 pm »
I specifically mentioned gnome-task-monitor in my first post

Sorry I missed that :-[

The part I find necessary is the network history graph.

Yep, I can see the network graphing might be useful to a limited few .. but as I said our ethos doesn't generally allow us to load everyone with stuff only a few will use .. if on the other hand it's MORE functional and the same weight (give or take) I might be convinced, so I'll take a look.

I have a funny feeling though that I looked at gnome-system-monitor previously (as I did xfce4-taskmanager) and ruled it out .. but I can't for the life of me remember why :-\

Glad you found what you needed though :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:55:56 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

harishpathangay

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 06:06:12 am »
Will PM8 be a LTS Release? or Did I misunderstood about LTS releases?
Will I be able to upgrade from PM7 to PM8 without re-install?

thanks,
harish pathangay

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 09:27:08 am »
PM8 will be an LTS release, albeit a shorter-longterm one ;)
PM is built on Ubuntu LTS, specifically PM7 and PM8 is/will be built on Ubuntu 16.04. They will reach EndOfLife simultaneously in 2021.

I don't know if you'll be able to upgrade between them without reinstalling(ask PCNetSpec, it's up to him), but any upgrade would be minor and to PM specific packages only, as the rest of the OS is updated from the same Ubuntu Xenial repositories
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:29:46 am by Pikolo »

Offline mracz

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 04:24:05 am »
Some laptop users use their machine at home and in the office or at a favorite coffee shop that makes proxy settings relevant. At the moment I miss this feature in P7. Maybe I am wrong but you need to set environment, set apt and reboot (or logout at least) to have new proxy settings work. I do not know how other products solve this but I remember an old application in Windows XP that you could have different locations set and define proxy, default printer even default home page  in your default browser for each location.

I understand that this is not much a Peppermint issue, not even trivial. Just for the record, an application for automatic proxy setting application (e.g. depending on your IP address) might be useful for Peppermint users on the move.

Offline Fritz74

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 05:56:35 am »
Just a wish an an idea: It would be great to make the font rendering out of the box as good as possible and include some high quality fonts (if the licensing makes that possible). After all, text is what we are looking at most of the time.

The icons too: It would be great to have a nice icon set right after the installation. Maybe faenza?
http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228

I didn't really like the default background and the plymouth background in Peppermint 7. Maybe it would be possible to use something lighter in complementary colors. Something that includes a blue sky. ;)

Offline Peter

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 Respin
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 12:51:53 pm »
Hi, guys.
What about LXDE-components in PM8?
Will they be replaced by LXQt ones?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 02:00:48 pm »
There's really very few LXDE components left in Peppermint, that said AFAIK LXDE is not about to disappear any time soon .. so the plan is NO ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DARKBOW923

• Peppermint for the win!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit :D
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 05:39:24 pm »
There's really very few LXDE components left in Peppermint, that said AFAIK LXDE is not about to disappear any time soon .. so the plan is NO ;)
I think we can make the tottaly spanish (and the rest of languages) traduction of all peppermint 8.... )i can help traducting but no programming  :P :P :P i thinked this because not tottaly but are very apps, menus and similar on peppermint who don't have a launguage traduction..
Bye!
Peppermint 8 in toshiba satellite pro c50-a-1jm its simply fast B)

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2017, 06:30:43 pm »
This might be too hard to implement, but would definitely be useful:

introducing a per application notification cooldown

Doing it for the XFCE power manager would be enough. The current situation on my laptop, is as follows:
If I turn notifications off. I get no warning when my laptop is about to die due to being out of power.
If I turn notifications on. I get about 2 hours of "Fully charged"/"Charging" notifications in row when my laptop is charging the last few %.
I get no notifications on full screen apps(VLC watching a movie for example).

I'm proposing the cooldown, because the stream of "Charging"/"Not charging" notifications makes me want to turn them off... and when I do that, I forget to turn them on afterwards :-\

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 08:18:24 pm »
There is an Xfce update that adds this to the notifications settings:
https://simon.shimmerproject.org/2016/09/05/preview-per-application-settings-and-do-not-disturb-mode-in-xfce4-notifyd/

I've successfully compiled it in Peppermint 7 and it works well .. problem is, there's no way to get it to build without adding some dependencies not available in 16.04, so there's no way to get it to build as a package on launchpad for xenial and I don;'t want to add zesty packages to Peppermint 8 .. this means the only way I could get it into Peppermint 8 would be to manually add the pre-compiled binaries to the Peppermint 8 ISO image, something I'm not keen to do as people like access to the package source code.

I may have another go at seeing if it can be modified to work with existing dependencies, but I doubt it.

I could possibly build an "off repo" standalone package for you though after PM8 is released and give you a link .. or help you to compile/install it.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2017, 09:48:22 am »
With long term support for five years, it would be nice if Ubuntu would keep up with newer versions of a bit more of their software than they do.  Just saying.  This seems like something that would benefit XFCE users in a lot of Ubuntu-based distros, but there's the wait until next year for it to hit an Canonical repository for a stable release.  ::)

Offline Peter

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 Respin
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 12:34:48 pm »
Well, what about Nemo in PM8?
There is a version without cinnamon's dependencies.
Will it be included in realease?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 02:50:32 pm »
Peppermint has had Nemo as the default file manager since Peppermint 6 .. there are no plans to change that ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec