Choose style:

Author Topic: PM8 ideas?  (Read 8539 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: PM8 ideas?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 03:43:05 pm »
Yeah, draw my attetinon back to this topic after the respin is released and we'll try to figure something out :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 03:57:51 pm »
^ OK, going to put it in my special list... "How to keep PCNetSpec busy!"  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 03:59:49 pm »
LOL :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 04:16:32 pm »
I guess we could have a high contrast theme and larger cursor theme available, but what's wrong with the screen magnifier we already have (Alt+Scrollwheel) ?

When I mentioned magnification I was thinking more of a lens but the option of a high contrast theme and large cursor would be a great idea

Other than that we'd have to consider either kmag (with all its KDE dependencies) or the screen magnifier from Compiz (with all the weight that entails .. if I'm correct this is what Mint/Ubuntu/etc. use)

kmag downloads a ton of dependencies so I don't think we want to go down that route and Compiz is heavy and I think can bring a whole lot of other complications with it, xzoom caused weird behaviour  when I tried it and virtual magnifying glass http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/ just wouldn't install for me but that could have been something I was doing wrong.

What I was thinking was something like a Universal Access section in the Peppermint Control Panel with setting similar to what they have in Mint

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:04 am »
^ Maybe we could put this together in a separate "Peppermint pack"?

Seems like a good idea to have something like that!  ;)
Hi GNULINUX,

Now that is a super idea! It keeps Peppermint light and remains true to to our basic philosophy! After all, there is no need to create an alternate Knoppix distro -- although I have lost track of Knoppix, as I recall the original Knoppix had all sorts of (at the time) cutting edge apps for impaired users (and particularly the visually impaired).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline travis82

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 04:55:14 am »
Dear Mark
Modules of Peppermint Settings Panel are not navigable via keyboard. Although I can launch them individually through Whisker Menu, but it would be nice if they be able to select using tab or navigation keys in PSP too. IS it possible to add this feature to PM8?

Sorry for my english 

Offline OhThatGuy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 04:39:40 pm »
Hi All,

Great Distro!! I have been really enjoying it. I have a few ideas. Since the xfce4-panel is now default, I installed the xfce4-mailwatcher panel plugin (it would be great if this was included by default). This plugin provides notifications of when I have new mail. It also allows me to open my SSB Gmail webapp on click. For example, I have mailwatch to look at my gmail acount and open the webapp on click. the command that is run is send-notify to alert me of new messages.That being said ...

I would loved to see a few new "watcher" panel items just like mailwatch, but does the following:

1. xfce4-calendarwatch - watches google calendar and updates icon new event notification is executed. The panel icon opens a program on click and a command can be run when calendar notification is present.

2. xfce4-rsswatch - watches an rss feed for updates and updates the panel icon when a new article is present. The panel icon opens a program on click and a command can be run when a new rss article is present.

3. xfce4-hangoutwatch, xfce4-jitsiwatch, and/or xfce4-messengerwatch - watches google hangouts  and updates icon when a new message is received. The panel icon opens a program on click and a command can be run when a new message is present. (if this could support various IM programs that would be great too ... if not one for yahoo messenger and jitsi, etc would be awesome).

4. xfce4-socialwatch - watches social media accounts (google+, facebook, twitter, etc) and updates icon when a new message is received. The panel icon opens a program on click and a command can be run when a new message is present.

I am sure you get the idea. The could better incorporate "netbook-like" webapp features into the xfce panel. IMHO, these plugins fit perfectly in the ethos of Peppermint. Even if these plugins were not included by default, but available in repos ... they would still make a great addition to the distro.

Thanks!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 04:57:15 pm »
Hi OhThatGuy, and thanks for the suggestions...

2 problems though .. we currently have to concentrate our limited resources on stuff that will be included in Peppermint "by default", and our ethos (in a nutshell) is that NOTHING gets into Peppermint unless it can be shown to serve a function that would be of use to pretty much everyone (specially where it would consume system resources, which any kind of "watcher" would).

We decided long ago that Peppermint wouldn't come with pre-installed "applications"of OUR choice, anything of that sort is a USER specific decision .. a lot of our users are here specifically because they hate haveing to "remove" unwanted pre-installed stuff, removal always being harder that adding .. one man's "necessary app' is another man's bloat, so we don't make those decisions for our users if it's possible to avoid them, application choice is very user specific so should be left to them.

[EDIT]

It's a common misconception (specially by the press) that Peppermint is "web centric", that's not really what we're aiming for .. what we are trying to be is a MINIMALIST distro (yet fully functional out of the box via ICE and web apps) that hands choice to the USER .. YOU decide what you want Peppermint to  be, web-centric, local app centric, or any mix of the two YOU like :)

That ethos is one of the things that drew me to Peppermint in the first place .. this ethos has stood us in good stead and very effectively makes software choices really easy for the development team, when making these types of decision we live by "show it'd be useful to EVERYONE or it's a user choice and doesn't get in by default" :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:14:40 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline OhThatGuy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:14 pm »
Well in theory ... since they are panel plugins, they can be included by default, but just not activated. Just like the Applications Menu or the Directory Menu plugins are currently handled in Peppermint. That way they are there by default but not using system resources until the user chooses to activate the ones (and only the ones they choose) and use them in the panel. This is exactly how Xfce handles it. That way it is a win-win.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 06:47:19 pm »
Okay, let me rephrase that...

Unless they already exist (?) .. we currently have to concentrate our limited resources on stuff that will be included [and enabled] in Peppermint "by default".

Simply a matter of having to prioritise I'm afraid ;)

If I get time I'll look into it, but no promises.....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:03:40 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline OhThatGuy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 08:58:45 pm »
If I get time I'll look into it, but no promises.....

Thanks for discussing my suggestion and Thanks for looking into it. If these watcher applications get added, I am sure they will be well received.

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 05:00:11 pm »
I suggest replacing the system monitor PM comes with by default(the X-app version of the LXDE system monitor) with gnome-system-monitor. It's far more modern & functional. On top of that, it only takes a whooping 1,2 MB disc space!
The main functionality it adds is a network transfer graph.
 I might be unique in that regard, but I often use unstable network connections, and I need a way to check if the website is not loading because it's bloated, or because my transfer is dead again.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 08:39:51 pm »
When you say "system monitor", do you mean the task manager (lxtask) ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »
Yes. System monitor, task monitor, htop, top. Many names, same thing
I deleted lxtask after finding a useful replacement and couldn't remember it's name.

Offline travis82

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 06:05:41 am »
Yes. System monitor, task monitor, htop, top. Many names, same thing
I deleted lxtask after finding a useful replacement and couldn't remember it's name.

Respectfully, my vote goes for lxtask. Simple, lightweight and efficient.