Choose style:

Author Topic: PM8 ideas?  (Read 7935 times)

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64bit
PM8 ideas?
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:28:46 am »
Hi,

Just had a thought regarding the next Peppermint distro:

Can Conky be integrated into the distro so that it is shown on the desktop by default or just on the Live session or both?

Reason I ask is, we were all newbies to linux at some point and one of the things I found whilst learning my way around
on a USB Live session or the installed system, was the terminal commands.

What if basic terminal commands (chosen by you guys) were integrated into conky that readily showed up on your desktop.
Instead of the conky defaults or alongside some of the defaults in conky.

They don't do anything but, they are a visual display of what you want to do via the terminal and they are there all the time unless
the end-user decides to alter or remove.

i.e. inxi -Fz command to display system information

I'm sure a pre-configured conky may be beneficial, as well as not having to install conky post system installation.
There seems to be a growing trend in using this application. Why not help us to help newbies.
cheers
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:10:12 am by acer »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: PM8 idea
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:43:14 pm »
I'm sure a pre-configured conky may be beneficial, as well as not having to install conky post system installation.
There seems to be a growing trend in using this application. Why not help us to help newbies.
cheers

Sorry but his is highly unlikely to happen as it doesn't fit our ethos .. Peppermint is a minimalist distro by nature, we go to great lengths trying not to make "application" choices for the user, and don't locally install anything unless it serves a clear and necessary function for EVERYONE .. so no locally installed office suite, no dockbars, no GIMP, and no conky, these are all USER CHOICES.

If there's one thing that annoys me about most distros it's that they throw in everything including the kitchen sink .. and I have to spend HOURS removing the stuff I didn't want to begin with (including all the dependencies) .. this is Peppermints raison d'Ítre, not the "cloud" as most people seem to think .. ICE and the cloud are just means to that end (they allow us to have a fully functional distro without locally installed apps out of the box) ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:46:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:53:00 pm »
Gotta go with PCNetSpec on this.  The main thing that has always attracted me to this distro is that minimalistic approach.   I honestly don't give a damn about Ice or its ability to create SSBs.  What keeps me coming back version after version is that I start off with little of what I call post installation cleanup.  This is where I go into the terminal or Synaptic and start removing stuff I don't use.  (Ice even gets axed on my system)  In some distros, I have to remove a whole lot of software, but not here.  I personally don't use or see any use for Conky.  It was a big thing back in the early days and I tried it with Peppermint One.  It did nothing for me.  So, for me, adding it by default would add to my post installation cleanup, just as removing GIMP would for non artists.  And, even though I do use GIMP, I wouldn't want it preinstalled either simply because I know other users may not want it.

Offline acer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 12:57:14 pm »
Ok 100% with you there with regards to removing pre-installed stuff within distros.
Been there myself over the years, and come to think of it, that ethos is what attracted me to Peppermint in the first place.

Just a suggestion/ thought.  :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 01:19:49 pm »
Believe me the team have discussed these things before (including conky), but our ethos makes these 'discussions' MUCH easier to resolve .. we simply have one question that needs answering

Does it fulfil a necessary function (or one nearly everyone would consider necessary) ?

If not, it's for the user to decide whether to add it or not.

It also neatly sidesteps team decisions/arguments such as "which is better LibreOffice or OpenOfficec ?"

Sticking to our ethos makes these decisions VERY easy, by removing opinion (often mine) from the equation and leaving it in the users hands (where it belongs).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:42:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin x64
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »
But please Do not stop coming up with suggestions... it's impossible for one person or even one Team to think of everything.

It's what makes this Forum so good in my opinion and one of the main reasons I stayed around.

Ubuntu Mate works - Voyager xfce works, Manjaro xfce works (well) Mint works - but none have forums as good as Peppermint  :)

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9Respin x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline budman7

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 04:42:54 pm »
The one thing I would suggest, and that only for the Live version would be a welcome box that has some useful commands in it.
So many people get started in Linux and have no idea of the very basics.Maybe even a link to linux journey(one of the tutorials here)
would be great.
I have found that tutorial very enlightening.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 06:04:46 pm »
A welcome screen is something we're looking at .. what we're going to put on it is still up for discussion at some point so sure .. gimme your ideas :)

As zebedeeboss suggests, ideas are ALWAYS welcome, even if they are eventually discarded .. so 'keep em comin' :)

As for the welcome screen mentioning CLI commands I'm not sure that's a good idea .. a lot of Windows users are scared off by claims they've seen that Linux REQUIRES you know the CLI .. it doesn't.

Chucking commands on their face at first run (or worse pre-install) may send the wrong message .. though I suppose we could have something like an "if you want to learn more, check out these links" kind of thing (?)

Just thinking out loud here....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:09:46 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline acer

• View Profile
Re: PM8 ideas?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 06:13:52 am »
Is it possible to embed a link within ICE to Timeshift in the next distro?
or
Include Timeshift within the next distro? (in the repos size= 1mb, not sure about dependancies)

I know the minimalist ethos of peppermint forbids bloatware LOL but, this app/program is potentially another essential in the toolkit.
This also swings it for the non-techies in my book, knowing that if you bork it, you can restore it without too much distress  ;)

GNULINUX has submitted a great tutorial that is invaluable for the spectrum of peppermint users to use now.
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3908.0.html

regards
Acer

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 12:36:55 pm »
Theoretically running a timeshift backup on a small SSD could fill the disk and lock up the system .. so again I'd call this a "user discretion" app.

And when will the Timeshift author get around to letting you CHOOSE where the backup gets saved at the directory level .. I have a large NAS but there's no (easy) way to have Timeshift use it, fine with an external HDD but not a mounted NAS ::)

Some kind of compression to save space and preserve symlinks on external HDD's with a filesystem that doesn't support them wouldn't go amiss either.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:41:34 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »
As for the welcome screen mentioning CLI commands I'm not sure that's a good idea .. a lot of Windows users are scared off by claims they've seen that Linux REQUIRES you know the CLI .. it doesn't.

A sentence or two that clarifies and mentions what you wrote above; while files are being installed would have reassured me on my first go 'round... and might be helpful for first time linux folks who are playing with peppermintOS LiveCDs or LiveUSBs...
spence
PeppermintOS 9 installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 01:34:33 pm »
Assuming this is a general PM8 suggestions topic(if you prefer sticking to one issue per post, I can separate it), the biggest problem for me so far has been HDMI support.

You have to separately connect the display(and it struggles when the resolutions don't match) and the audio. It would be nice to be able to either connect to all outputs provided by the HDMI cable. The worst thing is that PM drops the settings the moment someone touches the HDMI cable and a slight disconnect occurs.
My proposal, if possible, is to make it work like bluetooth connections, showing a popup asking what you want it to do. After all, if you're plugging something into your machine, you'll probably want to use it

The popup should probably have 2 options:
1) Video connection
a) clone
b) expand screen
c) PC only
d) external display only

2) Resolution & placement (if both were selected in part 1)
A visual representation, showing screens to scale would be really appreciated, but it's not a prority

3) Audio connection
a) external device only
b) pc only
c) both

If this is covered by a program you don't wish to include in PM, that kindly tell me it's name and include it in the recommended list.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 01:19:10 pm »
Ahoy Shipmates

This is something I've never given any thought to before because although I don't have the best eyesight in the world and slowly deteriorating I can still see a computer screen clearly with the aid of glasses, but not everyone is so fortunate.

A few days ago I was given a laptop by an elderly neighbour whose eyesight is severely bad, she asked if I can make it so she can see the screen more clearly and specifically asked if there was any audible assistance to help her navigate the laptop 

What I've discovered is that Peppermint offers no help for partially sighted people at all and I think it would be a good idea to rectify that in PM8, I understand Peppermint is a minimalist distro and we don't make choices for our users but I would consider this basic functionality if not Orca at least a decent easy to use and configure screen magnifier such as they have in Mint and other distros

Graeme
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:23:39 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 04:55:04 pm »
I guess we could have a high contrast theme and larger cursor theme available, but what's wrong with the screen magnifier we already have (Alt+Scrollwheel) ?

Other than that we'd have to consider either kmag (with all its KDE dependencies) or the screen magnifier from Compiz (with all the weight that entails .. if I'm correct this is what Mint/Ubuntu/etc. use)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »
^ Maybe we could put this together in a separate "Peppermint pack"?

Seems like a good idea to have something like that!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!