Choose style:

Author Topic: Opera Browser with Free VPN  (Read 5427 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Opera Browser with Free VPN
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 05:42:46 pm »
I never ever clicked 3 times on something in my life .  8)

On a laptop I do this all the time (triple touchpad tap), it's the fastest way to highlight an entire line.

And I also quite often copy commands, then paste them into the terminal planning on then editing the command 'in situ' prior to running it .. you can imaging how much trouble you could get into with say a 'dd' or 'rm' command under these circumstances when using a chromium based browser :o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:49:01 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 08:18:54 pm »
Well, PCNetSpec, you never stop surprising me.  I've been using Chrome/Chromium/Opera for years, and even Yandex off and on, but not until today did I learn about a triple-click highlighting method within Chromium-based browsers.  Never knew a thing about it.

Great tip --thank you!  :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »
NOT a great idea with commands in chromium based browsers perkhn if you're planning on copy/pasting into the terminal .. in fact downright dangerous ;)
(it works as it should in FF, but for some reason chromium/chrome based browsers add a space and carriage return)

THIS right here is my #1 gripe about chromium/chrome .. there are plenty of others (screwy fonts/odd formatting/memory leaks every other release, to name a few), but this one drives me up the wall with a vengeance because it's dangerous >:(
(maybe now you'll understand why I'm so harsh on chromium/chrome)

BTW, triple clicking to select an entire line isn't just a browser thing .. it's a system wide default behaviour, so it also works in say pluma/libreoffice/nemo location bar/icon names during editing/etc. .. in fact 'pretty much' anywhere you can insert a cursor into text.
(and not an added space and carriage return anywhere in sight with anything but chromium based browsers, including chrome)

Double-click = Select the word the cursor is hovering over.
Triple-click = Select the entire line the cursor is hovering over.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:05:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 08:15:34 pm »
Is there any way to make Opera obey the hosts file blocking while also using its VPN/proxy feature? I'm thinking probably not but you never know...

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 12:15:17 pm »
Well, it was fun while it lasted  ;D

Changes to Opera’s VPN service
by Martin Brinkmann on December 10, 2017

The free VPN service has become horribly slow, in my neck of the woods. When it does connect, it rolls at 56-gay speeds - 144p on YouTube, etc.

I first noticed the change on the Opera trunk release, last week - figured they were just toying with the idea. This week, it hit stable.  ::)

Unless they change things up, I'll need to move to a real VPN service - or start using Tor for secure connections.

Opera Software decided to create its own service from scratch and integrate it into the Opera browser.

We'll see how clever the Chicoms are. Maybe it'll become a real VPN service, not just a proxy, but I'm not holding my breath ...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:28:28 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 12:09:11 pm »
Might be getting some action on the Opera VPN slowness/country blockage probs.

I was reading their forums, last night, and everyone is bitching about the VPN changes.

Just downloaded an updated trunk release. We'll see if there's any improvement.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 12:59:24 pm »
Let us know please VinDSL.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 01:19:42 pm »
I read there are all sorts of problems with Opera's VPN.

Opera browser’s VPN is just a proxy, here’s how it works

By Mirko Zorz

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2016/04/22/opera-browser-vpn-proxy/

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 02:31:16 pm »
Yeah, it's always been a proxy, not a true VPN, but that's good enough for me. And, the SurfEasy proxy/VPN service was quick as a whip.

Since they moved the service to their own Opera servers, it's crawling at 45k-115k, e.g. useless for streaming videos, and most other things users do on the web.

To make the situation worse, the connections to their servers motorboat up n' down, and causes sites to throw codes while trying to load even large graphics. So, one gets the text but missing pictures, and intermittent connection failure notifications on some sites.

We'll see what happens. They've got their tit in the wringing over this. Something's gotta give ... 8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 02:32:45 pm »
I think they'd be in trouble if they provided a proper tunnelled VPN
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/11/china-moves-to-block-internet-vpns-from-2018
and in some areas of China individuals have been imprisoned for using VPN's
https://www.travelchinacheaper.com/is-it-legal-to-use-a-vpn-in-china

So I'm not sure their Govt would approve of Opera doing a 'proper' VPN :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:36:12 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 02:49:50 pm »
Proxies are good enough. It's not like we're trying to give away state secrets.

Back in the day, I'd bounce off 2-3 open proxies, like Arizona =>  1) Russia 2) Pakistan 3) Brazil => destination

Of course, that was then, and this is now. The NSA is injecting code into the stream as traffic passes through their routers, so it's easier for them to sort fly shiz out of pepper grounds these days. That's how they know (for instance) if leaked data has gone over the web, or been copied locally onto USB sticks, or whatevs.

Anyway, I'll watch n' wait.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »
I agree, a proxy is fine for what I use it for in Opera.

Anything I'd need a proper VPN tunnel to conceal I probably wouldn't trust a free service piggybacking on a Chinese browser with.

That said, they **should** call it what it is .. though they're FAR from the first to misleadingly call a proxy service a VPN.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:02:24 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »
These are all good points. 

Now even though a Chinese consortium bought this browser (transaction completed November 2016), the browser still seems to be subject to Norwegian data-security laws as a Norwegian company.  This is part of a very recent statement from Opera Software AS;

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Terms of Service
Last updated: December 5, 2017

Opera Software AS and its affiliates offer a number of different services through their respective websites and software. The terms of this document govern your use of those services. Please read this document carefully.

1. This is a contract.

a. These Terms of Service (“Terms”), along with Opera’s Privacy Statement, form a legally-binding contract between you and Opera Software AS a Norwegian company whose principal place of business is Gjerdrumsvei 19, 0484, Oslo, Norway, as well as its affiliates (“Opera” and “we,” “us” and “our”). By using the Services (as defined below), you are agreeing to be legally bound by these Terms. If you don’t agree with these Terms, you must discontinue using the Services.
[close]
Now, is my online life, as an American citizen, more private using Opera or is it more private using Chrome?  I FEEL, because of Norwegian law and power user settings found only within Opera, that my online life is more private using Opera.

Funny, but when I want privacy, I feel more comfortable using Opera (with a few added privacy-focused extensions), and, when I want security, I feel more secure using either Chromium or Chrome (with the same privacy-focused extensions too).  I say this because Opera is, in some ways, piggybacking off of Chromium's open source project, and Chromium or Chrome are, at least in theory, slightly more"secure" browsers than Opera because security updates and patches would most likely begin within Chromium first.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 07:05:15 am »
I'd feel safer in Firefox :)
(even with their recent idiotic faux pas)

And 57 is kick *ss fast :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 12:12:48 pm »
Speaking of Fx, I don't know if you ran across this recent article, but ...

Microsoft's Edge browser is in serious trouble - winders users prefer Fx to IE and MS Edge ...  :)

Microsoft's Edge browser is less popular with Windows 10 users than earlier thought, if revised data from a U.S. analytics vendor can be believed. According to Net Applications of Aliso Viejo, Calif., Edge has been designated the primary browser by fewer than one in six Windows 10 users for more than a year and a half. That's a significant downgrading of Edge's user share statistics from the browser's portrayal before this month...

By comparing Edge's old and new shares, it was evident that as much as half of the earlier Edge traffic had been faked by bots. The portion of Edge's share credited to bots fluctuated month to month, but fell below 30% in only 4 of the 19 months for which Net Applications provided data... Microsoft's legacy browser, Internet Explorer (IE) also was revealed as a Potemkin village. Under the old data regime, which included bots, IE's user share was overblown, at times more than double the no-bots reality. Take May 2016 as an example. With bots, Net Applications pegged IE at 33.7%; without bots, IE's user share dwindled to just 14.9%. Together, IE and Edge - in other words, Microsoft's browsers - accounted for only 16.3% of the global user share last month using Net Applications' new calculations... In fact, the combined IE and Edge now face a once unthinkable fate: falling beneath Mozilla's Firefox.

Bottom Line: Once the bots are removed from the equation, StatCounter's stats on browser usage shows more people have already been using Firefox on winders 10 than both of Microsoft's browsers combined -- in 12 out of the last 13 months.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:20:55 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »