Choose style:

Author Topic: Opera Browser with Free VPN  (Read 5401 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Opera Browser with Free VPN
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:11:06 am »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Opera Browser with Free VPN
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 11:30:01 am »
I've never been able on with Opera, though I haven't tried any of the more recent Blink versions.

I doubt if I'll ever feel at home in anything but Firefox after this many years.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:28:59 pm »
I've never been able on with Opera, though I haven't tried any of the more recent Blink versions.

I doubt if I'll ever feel at home in anything but Firefox after this many years.

I used it years ago when it first came out.   I even got myself an Opera ID so I could share photo's with my family etc.   Then I moved to Google Chrome (and the million variants out there) and various other "browsers" in search for the "perfect quick" browser and then Chromium when I got Linux and now Firefox....   I am happy with Firefox now but like to test things so when friends and family ask...  I have half an idea what they are asking about.

On Firefox I use the Browsec FREE VPN addon for when the British Government decide I cannot visit specific websites.

Regards Zeb...   

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:33:29 pm »
Did a quick test on Peppermint 7  :)

Installs without a problem from the .deb which I downloaded from their site.
The VPN feature is a real (browser) VPN and it doesn't leak anything. No IP, DNS or WebRTC leaks! Speeds with the VPN on were as fast as my real connection is.
The built-in ad-blocker doesn't block as many ads as uBlock Origin but you can add (local) lists to it...
It loads pages as fast/slow as any other browser I use (Chrome/Chromium/Firefox/Iron).

My initial thoughts:

Opera is "based" on Chromium (Blink Rendering Engine) but is more good looking and comes with a few extras... Seems pretty decent but their ad-blocker was slightly disappointing.
I personally prefer a more "bare bone" browser so I can add the features that I want...  ;)

EDIT about the VPN feature:  See this post!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:42:40 pm by GNULINUX »
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 12:58:54 pm »
ok just installed it as well and initial impression..... Damn but it's quick but does not follow standard forum posting like Firefox does.

I cannot highlight text and simply ctrl+b for bold  or underline ctrl+u (infact ctrl+u brings up a "view source" tab)

So will probably suffer the same silly sizing issue Chrome/Chromium and other browsers do

For that reason alone I won't use it - cos I can't be arsed bothered running two browsers

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 02:01:35 pm »
Opera is "based" on Chromium (Blink Rendering Engine) but is more good looking and comes with a few extras... Seems pretty decent but their ad-blocker was slightly disappointing.
I personally prefer a more "bare bone" browser so I can add the features that I want...  ;)

I believe Yandex wins when it comes to bare bones, but you can add from Chrome and Opera's stores if you'd like (although, from what I can tell, not themes).

And, it's based on Blink, Chromium, Opera Turbo...etc., but, as we can see, it has some Opera features in it!  ;)

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 02:09:16 pm »
ok just installed it as well and initial impression..... Damn but it's quick but does not follow standard forum posting like Firefox does.

I cannot highlight text and simply ctrl+b for bold  or underline ctrl+u (infact ctrl+u brings up a "view source" tab)

So will probably suffer the same silly sizing issue Chrome/Chromium and other browsers do

For that reason alone I won't use it - cos I can't be arsed bothered running two browsers

Regards Zeb...

THIS .. Egg Zactly this

Chrome (and other Blink browsers) just behaves incorrectly (and not just on this forum) and it drives me CRAZY >:(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64bit
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 02:11:25 pm »

Ditto, from olde Phoenix/Firebird days back in the late 90's early 2000's IIRC

I have tried it for the last hour or so and am beginning to (dare I say it), quite like it!!  ???

My Findings so far..

1. Settings is a must before use, tick the 'show advanced settings' box at the foot of the Privacy & Security Tab to reveal even more settings than the default and tweak to your hearts content.

2. Free VPN which leaves 3 ports open for the VPN operation. (BUT Mine are all closed  ;))

3. Bookmarking is a pain but, if you drag your bookmark to the Speed Dial section you end up with an array of all your bookmarks on one page (Handy indeed as a start page)

Still to look up an equivelant of the about:config in firefox for Opera to tweak and adjust more.

So far, so good.(as a secondary Browser)

:)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 02:23:18 pm »
Still to look up an equivelant of the about:config in firefox for Opera to tweak and adjust more.

Have you tried Chrome's equivalent
chrome:flags
or more correctly
chrome://flags

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 02:26:30 pm »
@acer

Might this help you, acer?

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/11/04/opera-19-developer-update-enable-operas-power-user-mode/

If it does, I do suggest enabling the Power User feature permanently.  This will save you a lot of grief over time.  ;)

@PCNetSpec

I think that's where acer wants to go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 02:29:50 pm by perknh »

Offline acer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »

Have you tried Chrome's equivalent
chrome:flags
or more correctly
chrome://flags

Yeh, tried that and tbh, there isn't much more in there to tweak.
Although switching OFF the 3 phase opera adblocker and using extensions Noscript and Disconnect, it seems snappier (read browser quicker)?!

After reading an article about Adblock somewhere, I kind of mistrust bundled adblockers and prefer to use my hybrid collection (Why Isn't there an EVIL emoticon when you need one)

@acer

Might this help you, acer?

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/11/04/opera-19-developer-update-enable-operas-power-user-mode/

If it does, I do suggest enabling the Power User feature permanently.  This will save you a lot of grief over time.  ;)

@PCNetSpec

I think that's where acer wants to go.

Yup, it did indeed but not that many more adjustments could be made tbh.
Power feature enabled permanently.   ;)

Prefer about:config, can do LOADS more with Firefox  :D

will persivere though..

Offline acer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 03:18:47 pm »
Got to laugh at the comments on my daily website..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/20/opera_desktop_browser_vpn/

:D

Offline acer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 03:55:47 pm »
Done a Cipher Security Check to compare FF v Opera browsers

Firefox:

Opera:

Well opera has certainly improved security over the last few years..yup, this could be a keeper as a secondary browser for me.
Although it does render some sites oddly and Images are not so sharp either.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 04:11:08 pm »
Yup, it did indeed but not that many more adjustments could be made tbh.
Power feature enabled permanently.   ;)

I have a feeling that you're an old hand at this, acer.  I've noticed for me, however, that when I used to go into Opera's Power User settings, there was often a b or an a in a little box above.  If I removed those letters, sometimes I'd see a list of more pages of settings which I could then modify.  Maybe, however, you've already discovered this already by yourself.

But, yeah, there are LOADS more of different things that can be modified in Firefox.  ;)

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 04:31:51 pm »
The VPN feature is a real (browser) VPN and it doesn't leak anything. No IP, DNS or WebRTC leaks!

Have to correct myself after more testing...  ;)

The VPN feature is a proxy but it doesn't leak anything. No IP, DNS or WebRTC leaks! It blocks unsupported UDP traffic.
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!