Choose style:

Author Topic: Successfully installed, can't boot [Solved]  (Read 3913 times)

Offline knight-lights

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Four
Successfully installed, can't boot [Solved]
« on: June 10, 2014, 05:54:50 am »
I'm new to Peppermint and Linux in general and just tried to install Peppermint 4 on my Asus-s500ca laptop. The installation completed without any errors and told me to restart. When I do, I end up looping back to the installation menu (with the preview and other options).

I can escape from that, but end up in the GRUB2 command line. I don't know what files I should be loading or how to load them, what I should set my root as, or how to find the path to the kernel.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:45:16 pm by knight-lights »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Successfully installed, can't boot
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:11:40 am »
Hi knight-lights, a big welcome to the forums.  Firstly, some more general system info would help.  Could you please boot into you live CD/DVD/USB.  Once it is loaded, open a  terminal window: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the code:
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
Press enter.  Copy the output and paste it to the forum using  the spoiler button: Sp.  Copy the output, click on Sp and then Ctrl+v.  Secondly, did you install PM4 from the boot screen or from the desktop install Peppermint icon?  Installing from the boot screen is probabilistic.  Thirdly, Peppermint OS Five is due to be released in a matter of days  8).  This will be effectively a Long Term Support release.  This in layman's terms,  means you can safely use PM5 for 5 years.  You may want to hold off installing until Peppermint OS Five is officially released.   In the mean time you may want to practice installing Lubuntu 14.04 LTS as this is what Peppermint OS Five is built on.  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu.  If Lubuntu 14.04 LTS installs, Peppermint OS Five should be fine.  I hope this helps.  Have fun  ;)!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:14:46 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:52:23 am »
If you're looping back to the "Installation" menu, where it offers to "Install Peppermint" or "Try Peppermint", then it MUST still be booting from the LiveCD/LiveUSB .. did you remove that ?

If the LiveCD/LiveUSB is NOT still inserted, can you explain what you mean by the "installation screen" .. and/or try give a better explanation of what's occurring when you turn on the PC
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline knight-lights

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:42:47 am »
Thanks, both of you!

AndyInMokum, here's the output:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-3537U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
           CPU Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts
           acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
           nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid
           sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm
           tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
[close]

I tried both the desktop icon and the boot menu - think my last try was with the boot menu. And cool, I'll give Lubuntu a shot if I can manage it. I think I only have this laptop and USB drive right now.   :-\

PCNetSpec: When I take it out, I get UEFI settings, but without any boot options. Leaving it in, I get the boot menu and can escape to GRUB2 prompt.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:13:17 am »
Mmm, it looks like its a UEFI issue.  There should be a toggle switch somewhere that turns this off and reverts back to the old legacy BIOS.  I am making a stab in the dark here but I imagine Peppermint OS Five 64bit will have UEFI support.  Ubuntu 14.04 64bit ,(the mother disto) does have it.  Having said that,  I know very little about UEFI, so I'll let someone else with more experience guide you through it.  Good luck  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:31:54 am »
If this is a laptop, can you give us the make/model .. if a desktop, the motherboard make/model.

UEFI isn't normally an issue in and of itself .. but secure boot IS.

Did this PC come with WIndows 8 preinstalled ?

As AndyInMokum suggests .. you'll want to select "Legacy BIOS" in the UEFI GUI and disable "Secure Boot".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:34:02 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline knight-lights

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 03:44:59 pm »
@PCNetSpec: It's an ASUS s500ca.

Turns out to have been a simple fix. I just shut down and then turned on my computer after trying to instll it again, and somehow that stuck when "restart" didn't. Happily running Peppermint now, thanks, all of you!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Successfully installed, can't boot [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:49:10 pm »
Great news .. thanks for marking the topic solved :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec