Choose style:

Author Topic: Recommended reading: EFF article on Windows 10 privacy and choice attacks  (Read 1217 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Recommended reading: EFF article on Windows 10 privacy and choice attacks
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 07:12:41 pm »
If re-activation is ever required, download and use this http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/ and backup before it's too late.
Worked for me

Interesting !

I'm multi-booting PM7, in UEFI-mode, with winders 10 and openSUSE 42.x (KDE).

I really don't care about winders and openSUSE.  I wanted to see if they would peacefully co-exist on disparate partitons, on the same SSD.  And, they do.  The only problem I've experienced is the way Linux and winders differ, in the handling of the RTC clock.

Luckily, when I upgraded to winders 10, PCNetSpec reminded me about Belarc Advisor.  I hadn't used Belarc in years.  It's a very handy utility for winders users.  It allowed me to retrieve my winders 10 product key, which (it turned out)  I needed sooner than I thought.

While I was monkeying around with the RTC clock mysteriously resetting itself to UTC after every boot, I incorrectly deduced that the clock chip was bad, and swapped out the mobo.  The new mobo did the same thing, plus it triggered having to re-activate my winders 10 install.  Gotta love winders ! 

Dell parts are dirt cheap on eBay, so no harm, no foul.  Well, no harm but yes, Microsoft threw me a curve ball ...

Without the winders 10 product key, I suppose I would have had to jump through hoops trying to get it re-activated, since I haxored the installation, Linux-style.  Evidently, there is no direct upgrade path for winders 7 pro=> winders 10 pro, for Dell owners.  They said I had to contact Dell, and have them handle it, because it required numerous proprietary drivers.  And, if the correct propritary drivers weren't installed, it could damage my machine and void the OEM warranty, blah, blah, blah.  I simply did some research, downloaded the correct drivers from Dell and roasted my own build.  LoL !   :D

Anyway, yes, if you care about winders, retrieve your product key(s) and store them in a safe place.  Those little cert stickers that they glue on your PC case evidently don't mean jack !
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:19:37 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »