Choose style:

Author Topic: The Peppermint Twist Is Still Cool - LinuxInsider  (Read 1692 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
The Peppermint Twist Is Still Cool - LinuxInsider
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:45:28 pm »
Jack M. Germain of LinuxInsider reviews Peppermint 7

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83846.html
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: The Peppermint Twist Is Still Cool - LinuxInsider
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:40 pm »
First thing I noticed -- he got the logo right.  YaY !

Second thing -- "[Peppermint 7] shows considerable growth since our review of Peppermint 5."

I still use Peppermint 5 and I can attest to that.

I'll keep reading.  So far, so good !

EDIT

'Peppermint' link, in the first sentence, is rekt.  One demerit ... LoL !   :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:17:26 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Update »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:29:25 am »
A pretty decent review coming from a heavyweight devotee.  It's a shame about the dud link to the Peppermint home page  :(.  Who cares about animations, bell, whistles and such.  They serve little purpose in a lightweight distro.  This should be viewed as his personal criticism of lightweight distros in general.  The lack of pre-installed user packages should be seen as a double plus.  Firstly, it provides the user with the freedom to create their own unique Peppermint installation.  It's not like there's a lack of easy to use tools to download and install software.  Secondly, the lack of user packages, will be a familiar and inviting paradigm for Windows refugees  ;D.  It's been said before a few times.  "It's the only thing Windows got right".  All in all, a positive but a somewhat dry review  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:44:06 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 05:09:39 am »
If you follow the link to their Peppermint 5 review you'll see the PM7 review is a bit lot of a rehash .. but overall I'm happy with it :)

As has been said, the lack of pre-installed apps is one of our differentiators .. you'll either like it or you won't, but it's the Peppermint way and I have no intention of changing it .. at least they "get" Ice, which is more than can be said for some :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:01:38 am »
If you follow the link to their Peppermint 5 review you'll see the PM7 review is a bit lot of a rehash .. but overall I'm happy with it :)

As has been said, the lack of pre-installed apps is one of our differentiators .. you'll either like it or you won't, but it's the Peppermint way and I have no intention of changing it .. at least they "get" Ice, which is more than can be said for some :)
Yeah, it is a bit of a cut and paste job.  Funnily, the Peppermint home page link in the Peppermint Five review works - go figure  :-\.  I'm  glad to hear you're not going to be influenced by the, "everything including the kitchen sink" brigade.  The lack of pre-installed user packages is what attracts so many people to Peppermint.  As I said in my previous post, it's a double plus. 

Why is it so many people don't get Ice and how useful it is?  I hear them moaning about the Cloud and then go and open YouTube, Netflix or ask about online banking etc.  I really think a lot of people don't know what the Cloud is.  They also don't realize that it's here to stay.  It's better to embrace it, or at least understand it before berating it.  It was a good summary of Ice in this review though.  I'm interested to see what comments there'll be.  Especially from the Arch/Manjaro drones.  They're generally good for a chuckle or two ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 06:09:49 am »
LOL, yeah .. funny they always seem to put down Ice but they were one of the first to include it in their AUR ???

One thing is for sure, Ice is being included in more and more distros so it can't be that bad .. personally (and on many levels) I think it was Kendall and Shane's "stroke of genius" moment ;)

[EDIT]

Ice only ADDS functionality / possibilities / choice, it detracts NOTHING so why would anyone knock it :-\
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:14:03 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:01:50 am »

Ice only ADDS functionality / possibilities / choice, it detracts NOTHING so why would anyone knock it :-\

Simply put... they don't understand it.  As you or Andy said previously they see "The Cloud" and immediately think airy fairy and don't stop to think of the extra layer of choice it gives.

That and it was NOT invented by someone from "Arch" ergo it must be rubbish   lol

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:35:39 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:18:13 am »
Distorted screenshots, a bad link, a rehashed article and when opening the page...

What could be the motive for this article?  ::)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:24:59 am »
UblockOrigin is now blocking 30

My guess is they are affiliate links as this article is making the rounds all over the web.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec