Choose style:

Author Topic: Where to get Linux Games?  (Read 559 times)

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Where to get Linux Games?
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:17 am »
Free and legal games outside Peppermint’s Software Repositories.
(No steam and other games companies). Torrents...Yes.  :D
Thanks.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
Re: Where to get Linux Games?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:58:10 am »
I know you said not them, but both Steam and GOG have free offerings.  So does Desura.  Other than that, check out what is in the repositories.  There are a lot of games in there, all 100% free and legal.

I won't suggest anything that's all out illegal like torrents of commercial games, but you can check out this site:

http://www.abandonia.com/

Games on there are "abandonware," meaning the copyright owners either just stopped caring about them or went under and there's a question as to who actually owns the rights.  Technically, this is a gray area of legality, but most are games that the copyright holders don't care enough to do anything about.  If there is a challenge or a new company (such as NightDive studios) acquires the rights, they remove the download links.  So, it's a site for people who just want to play games.  Most are older, many require DOSBox, which is in the repositories, some will require WINE.

There are also some free Linux games on here, a site for Indie developers:

http://www.reloaded.org/

Other than those suggestions, check for sites with browser based games.  I don't know any, but I know they exist, so you'll have to do a web search.  They usually work in many operating systems because they run in the browser, usually using Flash.  If you want illegal torrents, you'll have to find them yourself or get someone else to help.

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Where to get Linux Games? (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:20:40 pm »
Great! Thanks.
Solved.