Choose style:

Author Topic: Antivirus and bad habits on internet (SOLVED)  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Antivirus and bad habits on internet (SOLVED)
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:57:26 am »
I download .deb files from unknown sources. (two or three games); and i use torrents a lot to get movies mostly and sometimes programs (programs to run on wine)
Do i need antivirus on linux?
Thanks.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:21:03 am by Bloch »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Antivirus and bad habits on internet
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:21:11 pm »
Hi Bloch

Simple answer in two phases
Phase one - Stop downloading dodgy .deb files - research first - there is always a more reliable source

Phase two - If you follow Phase one - NO

Regards Zeb...

ps please also read
Rick's Rants .. enjoy:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/?page=virus
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 12:24:54 pm »
Thanks, zebedeeboss
Bad habits on internet and on my own life...Life is short.... :D

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »
Nothing bad about torrents... just be selective

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »
They have yet to make a virus that can successfully infect a Linux machine due to the amount of security involved in the system, at least as far as we know.  So, while it's not the best practice to do what you're doing, the risk is still negligible.  I think you have to worry more about breaking your system than getting a virus.

Of course, whether or not you need antivirus is still up to you.  In my opinion, you don't.  However, if it gives you peace of mind to install antivirus, then do so.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:19:15 pm »
They have yet to make a virus that can successfully infect a Linux machine due to the amount of security involved in the system, at least as far as we know.  So, while it's not the best practice to do what you're doing, the risk is still negligible.

Agreed !

JavaScript is a much larger danger IMO. 

I'm extremely careful when toggling on Greasemonkey scripts ...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:01:02 pm »
Okay, this is a more complex question than it seems at first glance.

You have to keep in mind that there's a big difference between a virus and "malicious software" (malware)

For a virus attached to a Windows executable running in WINE to affect the Linux host OS it would need to
a) be cross platform (AFAIK there are non)
AND
b) to do any real damage to the Linux host it would need to be able to gain elevated privileges .. WINE apps are run in userspace so this isn't going to happen.

So even IF there were a cross platform virus it could only damage stuff in your home folder.

Now malicious software is another matter .. let's say for example you installed a version of Internet Explore in WINE that contained a keylogger that uploads keystrokes to a 'hacker', you then used that Internet Explorer to access your bank .. Linux will NOT protect you as it's not Linux that's broadcasting your keystrokes.

That said, AFAIK the Linux AV apps scan for (mainly) Windows VIRUSES, so probably wouldn't pick up on the keylogger anyway.

The upshot .. a Windows VIRUS in WINE isn't a risk to your Linux host

Malicious Windows software run in WINE absolutely **IS** a risk to your DATA, but only the data entered into the Windows app .. in other words, if you move window focus away from the Windows app to the Linux host you're safe again.

So if you're unsure of the Windows software's provenance don't enter anything into that Windows app in WINE you wouldn't want the world to see.

Do you need AV in Linux ? .. no, and I doubt if it'd protect you against malicious Windows "software" anyway.

A better method would be to dual boot, or run your Windows software in a Windows VM along with Windows AV and anti-malware apps.

did that make sense ?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:05:02 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 09:35:06 am »
^ That sums it up!
Just one thing to add: I think AV/AM software is highly overrated!  ;)
I'm on another typical (Windows orientated) Virus/Malware removal Forum and can say that nearly all infected machines we see there have an up to date AV/AM software running in real time...

Use the "recommended sources" or ask here for Linux programs and an AV/AM will be (and is) completely unnecessary!
For Wine you could scan the (downloaded) files online before you install them! VirusTotal and Jotti's malware scan should give you enough information...

One warning: Don't underestimate the devastating effect most Cryptolocker variants have when running from Wine, only a (hopefully recent) data-backup can help you recover from that... and your Linux-OS will still not be infected!

Wine is a security risk on and in its own but not necessarily for your Linux install!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:44:16 am »
Just one thing to add: I think AV/AM software is highly overrated!  ;)

On that, I can definitely agree.  In however many years I used Windows, I only had a couple of virus problems.  Neither could be handled by the "major" AV software, I had to download special tools to deal with them.  I was like, "What's the point of this crap if it doesn't even take care of the viruses?" ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:07:21 am »
The problem is AV  by its very nature is ALWAYS playing catchup.

This is where Linux and the repo system comes into its own .. it would be extremely difficult get the malicious code into the r epos in the first place, and where it was managed it would be quickly spotted.

In fact if Linux repos were somehow suddenly inundated with zero day malicious code, the "catch up" would happen at the repo end and come through as updates so local AV would have been useless anyway.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 11:58:19 am »
One warning: Don't underestimate the devastating effect most Cryptolocker variants have when running from Wine, only a (hopefully recent) data-backup can help you recover from that... and your Linux-OS will still not be infected!

and please remember that the backup device/location must not be permanently connected in any way to the computer.  Once backed up - disconnect until the next back or it will get infected as well.  I have personal experience of a friend losing 11 Tb of data and  1Tb of backed up important data - all lost.

Regards Zeb...

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Antivirus and bad habits on internet (SOLVED)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 11:37:04 am »
Thanks for the replies. Very informative and useful.