Choose style:

Author Topic: 8 best Linux disros for new users  (Read 2797 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: 8 best Linux disros for new users
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:30 am »
That's the second review I've seen suggesting Peppermint is some kinda wee brother to Linux Mint, I'm not sure that's a good thing in view of the amount of bad press Mint's been getting of late in spite of it being top of the list in this particular review

, I suppose it's understandable due to the similarity in names  in fact I used to think the same thing when I first got into Linux but I think it's something we perhaps should distance ourselves from

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:34:01 am »
Maybe the question should be asked of them.

"Why do you think we are in anyway affiliated with Linux Mint ?   The name ?  Where did you get your information from to come to that conclusion?

and then go on to explain what Peppermint OS is all about?.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:11:07 am »
Good points :)

I think a certain amount of this is inevitable .. people see a link because in some ways it *does* exist, we do use some of their stuff even though there's no affiliation or direct collaboration.

I get more frustrated at the "for older hardware" tag that gets rehashed over and over .. which leaves people with the impression that it's somehow lacking for new hardware.
It's not that it's an untrue statement it just could be presented better .. more like "benefits old and new hardware alike" or similar.

Luckily we seem to have shed some of the "it's a ChromeOS alike" bull lately :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »
Maybe the question should be asked of them.

"Why do you think we are in anyway affiliated with Linux Mint ?   The name ?  Where did you get your information from to come to that conclusion?

They probably picked up this up from the 'Nomenclature' section, on Wikipedia:

Peppermint's namesake is Linux Mint.[15] The developers originally wanted to make use of configuration and utilities sourced from Linux Mint coupled with an environment that was less demanding on resources and more focused on web integration. [...]

Following the reference link ([15] https://lwn.net/Articles/390510/ :

Peppermint is a fourth-generation Linux distribution. Peppermint is based on Linux Mint, which is in turn based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. [...] Aside from a different set of default applications, slight customization of Prism, and some pepperminty artwork, there's not a great deal of difference between Peppermint and Linux Mint's LXDE and Fluxbox editions.  That's not surprising, Peppermint Linux contributor Kendall Weaver also contributes to Linux Mint and Lubuntu. Shane Remington is responsible for the web development and marketing for Peppermint, and Nick Canupp handles the forums and bug tracking.

I can reword the 'Nomenclature' section on Wikipedia, but there's nothing I can do about the reference page, which was sourced from an interview with Peppermint OS, LLC owners and shakers.

I'm afraid you can't un-ring the bell, once it's rung, you know ?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:00:28 pm »
Nah I'm not really bothered where people **think** we came from .. rightly or wrongly it's irrelevant to where we are now.

[EDIT]

Unless of course they repeat that "Peppermint copied ChromeOS" rubbish.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 03:07:06 pm »
We could always rebase to G3 ...   8)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 11:20:17 pm »
Well, technically, Peppermint did kind of come from Mint.  However, the connection is small.  Back when there was an LXDE edition of Mint, Kendall Weaver was the programmer of that "spin."  However, he left to start Peppermint with Shane Remington and that ended Mint LXDE.  Peppermint One may have even been based on the code for Mint LXDE.  But, that's where the connection ends, as the distro obviously has moved in its own direction since then.

As for that list, move Peppermint to #1, remove everything else but Mint, and you have the two best distros for beginners.  I don't think much of Zorin, Elementary or Manjaro.  Ububtu went to $#!t several versions ago.  I've never actually used Linux Lite or Ubuntu Studio. (though, I'm not a fan of specialized distros like Ubuntu Studio)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:21:57 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 05:39:41 am »
Yep there's a very thin thread that runs back to Mint, but it's tenuous at best (I gather Kendalls LXDE Mint spin was always a "community edition" not an "official" Mint spin ?) .. that said I don't think the perceived association does us any harm.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 10:15:47 am »
Yep there's a very thin thread that runs back to Mint, but it's tenuous at best (I gather Kendalls LXDE Mint spin was always a "community edition" not an "official" Mint spin ?) .. that said I don't think the perceived association does us any harm.

I think it was official.  It used to appear on the same list of releases as their main release, XFCE and KDE.  Though, it was always released dead last, even after Mint KDE.  ::)  (that was in the days before they had two Gnome releases)  I just think that, after Kendall left, they couldn't find anyone to program it, so it fell by the wayside.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 02:15:08 pm »
Yep there's a very thin thread that runs back to Mint [...] that said I don't think the perceived association does us any harm.

True !  Mint has street creds.

If Peppermint was based on Puppy (say Peppypup) I don't think it would have survived a year  8)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 04:36:09 pm »
It could be worse.  We could be Pepuntu. :))

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 04:38:39 pm »
Bwahahahaha !   :D