Choose style:

Author Topic: Only Samsung Can Save Android From iPhone Domination  (Read 5442 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Only Samsung Can Save Android From iPhone Domination
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 07:16:02 pm »
Every other Android device manufacturer Samsung included are building their phones to Googles tune not their own. --PCNetSpec

So, for instance, when a guy like me uses a budget phone, but then gripes about not being able to update the kernel, this is actually because Google has told the manufacturer to produce a phone with these limitatations.  Google is the one that gives a thumbs up to this process. :o

18 months later .. "thanks Google for implementing the changes we wanted, but we need a small tweak".....
(oh, and BTW, thanks for giving our idea to all our competitors too) --PCNetSpec

This sure leaves the world of Android in a mess.  It's amazing our phones are as secure as they actually are.  That is, IF they are as secure as we imagine them to be. :-\

Note:

The way it works now, from what I can see, if have an older Android smartphone, is that the phone's kernel and firmware stops getting updated, but your apps from Google Play (Android's repository) continue to get updated. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:30:28 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 04:59:41 pm »
I don't care much for Android or IOS to be honest in fact I don't care much for smartphones in general, I have a wee Samsung Galaxy Ace bundled with a load of preinstalled apps I neither want or need nor can remove.

Same situation on Samsung, but at least the uninstallable apps can be hidden and force-stopped

My next phone is definitely gonna be an Ubuntu phone they may be lacking in choice of apps (at the moment) but at least the apps I will have on it will be of my choosing not chosen for me

If I thought I could get it to work on the AT&T network... i'd dive in on Ubuntu... i really use very few apps... trying to find a much cheaper route for our cell phones though, so AT&T may not be where we stay after this round of contracts are up...
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »
So, for instance, when a guy like me uses a budget phone, but then gripes about not being able to update the kernel, this is actually because Google has told the manufacturer to produce a phone with these limitatations.  Google is the one that gives a thumbs up to this process. :o

I'm not sure about that one. It's more a case of both Google and the phone maker abdicating responsibility for updating kernels, but not giving the user any viable option to do it for themselves either.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 05:22:40 pm »
I'm not sure about that one. It's more a case of both Google and the phone maker abdicating responsibility for updating kernels, but not giving the user any viable option to do it for themselves either.

After giving up on my old Palm Treo... I managed to convince AT&T to sell me the Palm Pre with data plan blocked... grandfathering in my 2002-2012 status of blocking the data plan, I had no use for it. I loved that little phone, it was handy, beautiful and did everything my long line of Palm PDAs and prior Palm phones did.

When HP killed the Pre line most folks wandered off to Samsung... but many kept their phones alive via Cyanogen mods....

when my pre gave up the ghost, I opted for Nokia 920 on WindowsMobile ... another phone that i loved and wish I still owned, when it got smashed up, I was given the 1020 a beautiful monster of a phone... that i never should have let go. But well WindowsMobile seems to have only been about killing off Nokia...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:25:47 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 05:45:28 pm »

That's not really what I meant, what I meant was Samsung/Sony/Motorola/HTC/etc. have little say in what Google release or don't release.

Unlike Apple who can tweak the OS however they see fit.

I'm not saying Google intentionally hold stuff back from the manufacturers, or tell them to hold stuff back from the public, I'm saying Google Add features either because they want to or because they've been requested, but the final say is theirs and they have little incentive to support old hardware (or really the hardware manufacturers) beyond getting ad revenue from the pre-installed Google services.

Lets face it, ALL "device" hardware is classed as disposable, which the manufacturers would be happier if they didn't have to support AT ALL.

Apple at least have a "name" to upkeep, so support their devices with updates for longer (but slowly make the updates slow older phones significantly enough to push you towards a new phone, rather than just dropping support altogether)  .. not because they want to, because they can't pass the buck .. total control of both hardware and software is a double edged sword.

IMHO, only Google could be a significant competitor to Apple, able to respond as quickly, and ship software totally tuned to the hardware (and vice versa) .. but they're too scared to step on Samsung/Sony/Motorola/HTC/etc's toes when their current business model is working and low risk.

[EDIT]

I **hate** to admit this, but iOS on an iPhone (at least with my granted very limited experience) feels more, erm .. I don't know how to put this .. 'built for purpose', or maybe 'better integrated', or maybe 'more at home on the hardware'.

I'm far from an experienced smartphone user .. but maybe, just maybe my having that (pretty abstract) impression say a LOT.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:04:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 07:26:47 pm »
I'm not saying Google intentionally hold stuff back from the manufacturers, or tell them to hold stuff back from the public, I'm saying Google Add features either because they want to or because they've been requested, but the final say is theirs and they have little incentive to support old hardware (or really the hardware manufacturers) beyond getting ad revenue from the pre-installed Google services.  --PCNetSpec

Thanks for giving me a few more insights into how this process works. 

I **hate** to admit this, but iOS on an iPhone (at least with my granted very limited experience) feels more, erm .. I don't know how to put this .. 'built for purpose', or maybe 'better integrated', or maybe 'more at home on the hardware'.

I'm far from an experienced smartphone user .. but maybe, just maybe my having that (pretty abstract) impression say a LOT. --PCNetSpec

Apple doesn't hold back on updates.  And I see A LOT of people here are using iPhones these days.  It sounds as if there's a synchronicity between the software and hardware of an iPhone that's currently lacking within the world of Android.  Yes, Google could do the same as Apple if it wanted.  I understand. ;)   

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 08:03:56 pm »
  Yes, Google could do the same as Apple if it wanted.  I understand. ;)
and for a short while they did with their Nexus line... which sold abysmally...
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2017, 08:19:18 pm »
Hi spence,

Perhaps Google is off to better start with its Pixel phones, but your point about the Nexus is also mentioned in this article.

Researchers Peg Google Pixel Sales at 1.8 Million

By Alexander Maxham for AH (Android Headlines)

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/06/researchers-peg-google-pixel-sales-1-8-million.html

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2017, 08:21:56 pm »
Google never "pushed" the Nexus phone line like they did the tablets (which did sell), for fear of  annoying with the other Android manufacturers.
Kinda in the same way Microsoft annoyed the OEM's with the Surface.

Google just want their services on as many phones as possible, they have no incentive to "compete" for the hardware market .. if anything Google saw the Nexus lines (which were actually very good, if overpriced so not to compete) as reference designs more than an honest attempt to break into hardware .. even though it's potentially a MUCH bigger market.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:23:43 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »

Kinda in the same way Microsoft annoyed the OEM's with the Surface.

Just as they shot them all in the feet with Win 8!  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2017, 08:27:16 pm »
Google only "toy" with hardware to keep the other OEM's on their toes .. it's not a serious attempt to compete which would be pointless, why take the risk if others are willing to take it for them.

Their core business is advertising on their services, it's MUCH better from their perspective if others assume the hardware risks .. their core services will be included anyway.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:11 pm »
Really the title should be "Only Google could save against iPhone domination" .. and in some way they have.

PCNetSpec, you hit the nail on the head! ;)

Warning:  This article include a popup video as its preamble.  The connection is NOT secure and "adult words" have been peeped out, so please don't click onto the link below if you don't want to experience any of that.  All that aside, this is one heck of a story in modern tech history.

How Android beat the iPhone to world domination

by Seth Fiegerman for CNN tech

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/28/technology/business/android-iphone-world-domination/index.html

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 04:22:36 pm »
Google only "toy" with hardware to keep the other OEM's on their toes ..

I am finally able to switch phones and am seriously pondering the Pixel line and flipping our service to https://fi.google.com/about/. We'll save about half on our monthly plans, our only hitch is coverage. We live in an outlying area which is surrounded by mountains and the closest towers are still only 3G capable.

Also, one of the phones I've been picking up to demo ship with Android 7... So I'm gonna dally as long as possible keeping my current Note 4 running. Part of me wants to ditch the expense of Samsung... part of me wants to ditch the contract, but no new phones are part of the pay as you go plans...

and No I'd never buy anything Apple...  >:(   

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 05:42:25 pm »
I'm far from an experienced smartphone user ...

Heh !  Brother thing again.  I carry 2 flip phones - business and pleasure.  They get 8-10 days on a charge, if that tells you how much I use them.  ;D

I know nothing about 'smart' phones except, when some dummy is using one, you become invisible to them, e.g. end of conversation.  It's like, you don't exist.  I just walk away, and they don't notice, and don't care.

In a way, it's a beautiful thing ...

That said, my wife decided she needed one, last week.  Some app, or another, that's not available for her winders PC.

I work with lots of people - most of them with electronic leashes in tow - so, I asked them what they own and why.

Based on their recommendation(s), I thought an Apple 6 would be the way to go, but my kids put the kibosh on that idea.  Basically, she'd be on her own, because they are hardened Android fanbois.  And, I'm willfully ignorant of smarties, so I would be of no help.

There's a LOT of power in not giving a shite, you know !?!?

Anyway, I told her to pick out whatever she likes.  I'll take care of setting up the account, transferring her number, and the kids can do the rest remotely.

Her choice was an LG Stylo™ 3.  Looks like a nice, big, bright phone.  A couple of ppl at work own Stylo 2s and they like them.  The Stylo 3 is mostly an improved Stylo 2 (why mess with success?) and it gets good reviews.

So, she's off to the races.  And, once again, I've become invisible.  LoL !   8)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »
Her choice was an LG Stylo™ 3.  Looks like a nice, big, bright phone.  A couple of ppl at work own Stylo 2s and they like them.  The Stylo 3 is mostly an improved Stylo 2 (why mess with success?) and it gets good reviews.

Mrs.VinDSL choose wisely.  The Stylo 3 is an excellent phone, and has added a couple added features to the Stylo 2.  In fact, I got Stylo 2 for mrs.perknh last Christmas.  It's an excellent phone, and she loves it.

The secret of using a smartphone like basic cell phone is to NOT have Wi-Fi or data enabled 24/7.  Then it's like having a basic cell phone most of the time, BUT you'll still have access to the benefits of a smartphone if or when you need them --say like for international calling, weather checks and warnings, a flashlight or a compass, or driving directions assistance if or when you're lost. 

As for myself, I don't need to use these smartphone goodies most of the time, so therefore I don't enable data or Wi-Fi most of the time either.  I don't like hearing tings and messages coming in all of the time.  Listening to those noises constantly drives me bonkers.

So, she's off to the races.  And, once again, I've become invisible.  LoL !   8) 

See, even smartphones have their virtues! ;)