Choose style:

Author Topic: Only Samsung Can Save Android From iPhone Domination  (Read 5411 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Only Samsung Can Save Android From iPhone Domination
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2017, 07:55:46 pm »
Sommats wrong .. I'm invisible to my missus and she hasn't even got a smartphone.

Then again, if I weren't, I'd probably now get her one :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2017, 08:37:33 pm »
Sommats wrong .. I'm invisible to my missus and she hasn't even got a smartphone.

Then again, if I weren't, I'd probably now get her one :D

That's right!  Say, by some improbable accident, she renews her interest in you, but you decide that you actually liked being invisible as you were before, you'll now know what to get her.  Those smartphones really do work like a charm!! :D
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2017, 08:54:22 pm »
I think my wallet's safe there perknh :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2017, 03:45:16 am »
PCNetSpec, I'm only speaking from my own observations here, but I see these things everywhere I go, and over and over again.  During courtship the human male can't seem to do anything wrong.  Then, fast forward years into a marriage, and the same poor bugger can't seem to do anything right.  This appears to be a universal law of Mother Nature.  It's as if the existence of the human male is only to fulfill a few certain functions, and then he's to be put out to pasture. :o

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2017, 04:43:43 am »
There are plenty of phones out there, other than Samsung, to give the iPhone a run for it's money

The One+ 5 works for me - it's the Best Smart phone I have bought to date.  Blisteringly fast.   ;D

people just have to get over their fears of China snooping

I believe JosephD has one too.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2017, 05:10:55 am »
Android phone sales already SMASH sales of iPhones (particularly outside the US .. and remember, the US is a small market when compared to global sales), but that's not the same as saying any Android phone manufacturer (or Google) makes anywhere near as much as Apple from phones.

Because they control harddware, OS, and marketplace Apple are still making WAY WAY WAY more from phones than any other single manufacturer .. the only exception **may** be Google who don't make any money directly from Android (or much from their own brand phones) but probably equal or exceed Apples income via advertising services installed on all Android devices.

Two completely different income models, both of which are working well.

Is one "better" than the other ? .. should either hold the power they do ? .. should ether dominate the market ? .. are either ethical ? .. those are tougher questions.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:13:42 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2017, 09:00:38 am »
Android phone sales already SMASH sales of iPhones (particularly outside the US .. and remember, the US is a small market when compared to global sales), but that's not the same as saying any Android phone manufacturer (or Google) makes anywhere near as much as Apple from phones.

What I can't get over is the price range of smartphones and smartphone services.  Some smartphones here cost $600 or more, and monthly unlimited data plans can cost over a thousand dollars a year.  And that's just for one phone with service! :o  On the other hand, at least here in the US, if a person is willing to go with a budget phone with a limited monthly data plan, smartphones and services can be very inexpensive.  So inexpensive in fact that they now put the home phone market to shame. (For instance, although my smartphone was given to me, my dated, but new "other" 3G smartphone cost only $40, and I pay $30-$30.75 or $27 --$27.75 a month for service.  That is if I'm willing to see an ad when I unlock my phone --kinda like the Kindle.) 

So what a difference we now have in the range of prices.  The smartphone market, locally and globally, is really quite interesting to observe.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2017, 09:25:35 am »
Mobile phones finally made the landline providers ditch the "per call" method of charging over here.

Flat rate phone bills were something I remember in the US from the late 60's early 70's .. that didn't appear over here until the mid to late 90's ::)
(I'm betting older Brits still remember "party lines" .. where you shared a phone line with a neighbour, which was a royal PITA )
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:27:33 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2017, 12:09:28 pm »
So I take it that most people in the UK still have a landline.  Lots of people here, including us, have decided to ditch their landlines.  The straw on the camel's back for us was when I had to call our landline provider with our cell phone in order to report that our service had stopped due to an ice storm.  This happened a couple of times to us.  I finally asked my wife one day, "What are doing keeping this landline?"  So far, knock on wood, we gotten by without a landline just fine.  Now my wife has her phone, and I have mine.

PCNetSpec, I vaguely remember party lines as a kid when my mom and I visited family out in the country.  Yeah, the ring pattern told you which family on the party line the call was for.  Those party lines were also how everyone learned everybody else's business too. ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2017, 01:43:56 pm »
Landlines are a dying breed over here too now .. now that everyone has a mobile anyway they're kinda superfluous, and only kept for the broadband.

The party lines I remember from over here had divided ringing by the time we moved back from the states in 74, so they didn't both ring at the same time, but if you picked up the phone whilst the other party was in the middle of a call you could listen in on the conversation.

Most houses were either semi-detached or terraced so you often had a common wall dividing you from the property you shared the line with .. so you could often hear their phone ring, rush to yours and pick up only when you heard the ringing stop (so they didn't hear the click as you picked up) .. it was all a game :)
( a game that could cause serious friction when you were in a rush to make an important call and they wouldn't stop blabbering on to someone about their ****ing petunias)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:57:56 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
Mobile phones finally made the landline providers ditch the "per call" method of charging over here.

For the sake of discussion, like I said, I carry 2 flip phones - used to carry 3, mostly for posturing at board meetings.

Why haven't I upgraded ?  The flip phones are grandfathered on $0.20/min USD plans.  You need to 'reboost' them every 3 months - minimum $10 USD. 

Effectively, each phone is costing me $3.33/month USD.  And, I use my Dell lappy for everything else.  LoL !    :D

I'm sure, some day, my carrier is going to say enough is enough, and I'll need to upgrade.  But, until then ...

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2017, 04:04:53 pm »
Those party lines were also how everyone learned everybody else's business too. ::)

Heh !  Now, we listen to their phone calls with our police scanners - out of band, first harmonic ...  8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »

For the sake of discussion, like I said, I carry 2 flip phones - used to carry 3, mostly for posturing at board meetings.

Why haven't I upgraded ?  The flip phones are grandfathered on $0.20/min USD plans.  You need to 'reboost' them every 3 months - minimum $10 USD. 

Effectively, each phone is costing me $3.33/month USD.  And, I use my Dell lappy for everything else.  LoL !    :D

I'm sure, some day, my carrier is going to say enough is enough, and I'll need to upgrade.  But, until then ...

Oh we still have pay-as-you-go mobile SIM cards too (heck you can leave them years between topups before they eventually pull the plug on the SIM), or are you describing something else ?

I'd figured that was what American TV refers to as "burners" ? .. though I now understand (thanks to perknh) SIM's aren't so big over there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:16:00 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2017, 04:30:31 pm »
I'd figured that was what American TV refers to as "burners" ? .. though I now understand (thanks to perknh) SIM's aren't so big over there.

My 'burners' have the SIM built it, probably soldered in - never dissected one.  Basically, you buy a box of flip phones and self-auth them when you want do your drug deal or whatevs.  Afterward, you 'burn' or smash the phone, and sell the battery on eBay.

Most 'legitimate' phones have removable SIMs in them.  My wife's LG Stylo 3 has a removable SIM, for instance.  And, if you're traveling in foreign countries, you need to carry a pocket full of SIMs, just like in Europe.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2017, 04:34:09 pm »
The EU is supposed to be free roaming now, if you get one EU SIM then you can use it anywhere in the EU for the same rate, in theory.