Choose style:

Author Topic: Only Samsung Can Save Android From iPhone Domination  (Read 6080 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Only Samsung Can Save Android From iPhone Domination
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 05:47:26 am »
<bump>

Well, I "hate" it that Samsung (and Apple, and Microsoft, and Intel, and Putin, and the NSA, and, and, and...) is so big in the smartphone market.

My first smartphone is the Samsung Galaxy S. I still have it, although I don't really use it anymore.

Hi Skara Brae,

My first smartphone was the Samsung Galaxy S too, but I don't use mine any longer as a phone.  In fact, after realizing I was working more for my phone than my phone was working for me, I ditched it as a phone and went back to a dumb phone.  My old dumb phone, a Sanyo Innuendo by Kyocera,  is more than sufficient for my needs.  I actually like the dumb phone better.  The monthly bill is less expensive, fewer people pay any attention to it, the call quality is better, it collects less data, and it's easier to tote around.  I've had it with smart phones --three months of using a smart phone was enough for me.

That said, I still update the Galaxy S every once in a while.  If my computer ever goes down, I have the Samsung Galaxy to back me up as long as I have access to Wi-Fi.  But, no --no more smartphone for me for everyday use.  A smartphone really is a PITA.  I don't miss using it at all.  :o

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 11:58:29 am »
+1 .. Go perknh!!!
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 12:36:07 pm »
Smartphones are going to be the downfall of society.  It amazes me just how many people are totally dependent on them where I work.  Employees, customers, too many people can't be away from the things for more than two seconds, despite the thousands of years of human history up to their invention.  The world never ended.  Granted, it took longer to figure some stuff out, but it was still possible.  I literally have to avoid people all the time who are in the way on those damn things when I pull freight out to the sales floor, either to work or for someone else to work.  I seriously think the Terminator franchise got it right, the machines are taking over.  They're just not doing it in quite the same manor.  ::)

On the flip side, I use one when I'm shopping quite often.  If I want to buy something and I'm not sure if it's any good, I can pull my phone out of my pocket and look up product reviews. (off to the side, not in the middle of a well traveled aisle) The calculator function also keeps me from paying too much for stuff.  And, I've even used it once to provide customer assistance because I couldn't find what a customer was looking for, so I went to our website to see if we even carried it in the store, which we don't.  However, I can spend long amounts of time without even looking at or thinking of my phone.  I can certainly avoid walking into traffic or having a major accident because I just have to reply to that text.  ::)  (whatever it is, it will wait)  Sometimes, when I'm working, my phone gives me a little alert sound.  However, unlike some people, I can wait until I have a break to pull it out and see what it is.  Usually, it's just an e-mail alert or text anyway.  The people who text me know my work schedule, so they understand when I don't get back to them right away.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:38:19 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 06:17:16 am »
Maybe I'm just an odd case (Mrs says so) .. I work with computers all day so have no need for the distraction of yet another one constantly demanding my attention.

I want a phone for phone calls .. thassit.

That said I do have a cheap smartphone simply because they're now just as cheap as dumb phones .. I just never uuse it for anything except calls (not even set up email, etc.) .. sometimes I wish I hadn't though, battery life sucks compared to my old dumb phones.

I've come to the conclusion they're badly named .. smartphones seem to be making people dumber, in a "I aint gotta lern nuffink, I got Siri/Google" kinda way :))
(Google being one of the few word kids seem to be able to spell these days)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:19:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 06:31:19 am »
It's handy being able to tether through them if your broadband ever goes down. I've got no time for figuring out the apps and I mostly use mine as an alarm clock though :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 06:41:09 am »
Got a pre-paid dongle for that and it doesn't need to be kept charged :)

Sh*te battery life for a simple alarm clock wouldn't you agree ;)
(and IIRC most dumb phones could do alarms)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 07:21:21 am »
The battery lasts a couple of weeks since i don't make phone calls very often. Depends how quick I turn off the alarm though ;)

The phone would charge while it was tethering anyway, I think, even if it was flat.

I keep seeing guides to get Linux running on a smartphone and I've tried following a couple but couldn't get any to work for me. There wouldn't be much use to it but I'd just like to see it working as a proof of concept.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:28:45 am by murraymint »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 08:03:53 am »
since the demise of 2g is occurring January 1st, 2017 I was finally forced to buy new phones for me my wife and my mom, well guess what I found 3g and 4g capable nokia flip phones, so I guess I can avoid the smart phone for another several years or so....  I got a nice peppermint red nokia cheap on ebay...  :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 09:10:10 am »
I guess I can avoid the smart phone for another several years or so....  I got a nice peppermint red nokia cheap on ebay...  :P

Good move, rjm65.  ;) 

As far as I'm concerned, smartphones ________. *

perknh

*Feel free to fill in the blank.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 12:32:10 pm »
Price was right also, they were refurbs, all new covers and screens and keypads...  $21.95 free shipping, got a black one for the wife and the red one for myself model 6555... 
Picked up a nice used but in perfect shape nokia 6350 world phone for mom, that guy selling it was nuts, but i bought it from him anyway for $4.50, 3 bucks shipping....  that phone goes on ebay for 40 to 60 dollars, why he sold it for under 5 bucks is beyond me, it works great and has a clean imei.... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 01:29:38 pm »
The price is right!  ;) 

If you average out the prices, you scored big time with the three phones --somewhere around $11-$12 per phone.  Good for you, rjm65.  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 01:34:47 pm »
I started this topic nearly a year ago, and Samsung has NOT saved Android from iPhone domination in the US.  The same can be said for LG and Motorola too.  They haven't saved Android here either.  On the other hand, according to the article below, Android is faring much better in Europe and China.

I know I'm seeing more and more people here in Northern New England with iPhones --including younger people.  I suspect that once there are lots and lots of younger people within the iPhone ecosystem, it will be very hard to get them shift to Linux-based Android.

The top three Android phone makers lost ground in the US – Kantar

By Bogdan Petrovan, European Managing Editor of Android Authority.

http://www.androidauthority.com/top-three-android-phone-makers-lost-ground-us-kantar-780084/

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 01:47:38 pm »
Really the title should be "Only Google could save against iPhone domination" .. and in some way they have.

Really if you want well integrated hardware/software Apple are the only one doing it "right" .. if Google pushed their phones more that would be another story.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 06:00:14 pm »
.. if Google pushed their phones more that would be another story.

You're saying, if Google pushed their phones more like their Pixel, this would be a different story.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 06:32:46 pm »
Only Google can control both hardware and OS in the same way Apple do.

Every other Android device manufacturer Samsung included are building their phones to Googles tune not their own.

Have a great idea and know how to implement the hardware side of things .. great .. now we have to ask Google if they'll do the software side of things, cross our fingers and wait.

18 months later .. "thanks Google for implementing the changes we wanted, but we need a small tweak".....
(oh, and BTW, thanks for giving our idea to all our competitors too)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec