Choose style:

Author Topic: Lubuntu 14.04 LTS  (Read 4039 times)

Offline xfrank

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Lubuntu 14.04 LTS
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
Waiting for Peppermint 5, I've tried Lubuntu 14.04 LTS  in an old laptop (Pentium M 1.7ghz, 2gb ram). This is a very good release of Lubuntu! Polished, elegant and blazing fast. Except for a known bug (nm-applet is not activated by default), the OS is responsive and smooth.
Has anyone tried this release?

[about me, I was in the old forum with the same nickname]

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Re: Lubuntu 14.04 LTS
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:17:26 pm »
The nm-applet bug was a rather fun one to have to deal with. Don't worry, it's fixed for Peppermint Five. ;)
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:32 pm »
I tried it too,  It was light and fast, but, after checking it out, I came back to Peppermint 4.  Everything just works better here, and I much prefer Peppermint's Menu configuration, and compositing ability.

But if Lubuntu's speed is any indication of how fast we'll be Peppermint 5 -- well, I just can't imagine how fast we'll be.  Peppermint 5 is going to be amazing.

Right now I'm flying around here just using Peppermint 4.

:)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:43:43 pm »
I actually wrote PCNetSpec a rather strongly worded email on my thoughts about Lubuntu 14.04. I guess my biggest gripe is that it's too blue. I certainly don't mind having some blue in there, but it seems like Lubuntu's design team just defaults to blue no matter what. It drives me a little bit crazy to be perfectly honest. Functionally it performs adequately except for the nm-applet bug and in my installation Alt+F2 didn't open a run dialog by default so I had to fix that as well (also fixed in Peppermint Five).
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline xfrank

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:45:17 pm »
The nm-applet bug was a rather fun one to have to deal with. Don't worry, it's fixed for Peppermint Five. ;)
thanks, Kendall  ;D

Offline xfrank

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:51:10 pm »
I tried it too,  It was light and fast, but, after checking it out, I came back to Peppermint 4.  Everything just works better here, and I much prefer Peppermint's Menu configuration, and compositing ability.

But if Lubuntu's speed is any indication of how fast we'll be Peppermint 5 -- well, I just can't imagine how fast we'll be.  Peppermint 5 is going to be amazing.

Right now I'm flying around here just using Peppermint 4.

:)

perknh
I have still a Peppermint 3 system very well performing in my office PC at the University. Lubuntu is nice, but honestly, Peppermint is nicer and more user friendly. I'm  excited to see how Peppermint 5 will be. I'm sure will be an amazing release.   :)

Offline xfrank

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:58:33 pm »
I actually wrote PCNetSpec a rather strongly worded email on my thoughts about Lubuntu 14.04. I guess my biggest gripe is that it's too blue. I certainly don't mind having some blue in there, but it seems like Lubuntu's design team just defaults to blue no matter what. It drives me a little bit crazy to be perfectly honest. Functionally it performs adequately except for the nm-applet bug and in my installation Alt+F2 didn't open a run dialog by default so I had to fix that as well (also fixed in Peppermint Five).

Personally, I don't dislike the blueish theme of this release of Lbuntu. It's a matter of taste... Icon theme and all the default desktop appearance is pleasant.  Yes, there are some limitations, for example the lack of a light compositing preinstalled (I had to install xcompmgr). And the program selection is poor (no LibreOffice, no VLC). But anyway, Lubuntu has its reason to exist, and is quite good. In the end, I prefer more Peppermint. Among other reasons, for this friendly and useful forum  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:02:45 pm by xfrank »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 05:39:17 pm »
Hello Kendall & Xfrank,

I've heard this said before, and I believe it:  "Peppermint is what Lubuntu ought to be."

I don't like Lubuntu's themes.  Those blue-grey themes can be as dreary as a gloomy Winter's day in New England.  Also, I don't like that you'd have to fix the menu in Lubuntu, through lots of work and time, to have what we begin with here in Peppermint.   And I know Firefox browser is excellent, and open source, but I prefer our Chromium browser to Firefox.*

And I too wrote to PCNetSpec.  I wrote to him about the shock I had when I took a serious look at Ubuntu's forum.  You can get lost in that forum, and than get bad advice on top of getting lost there.

Yes, It is my opinion that Peppermint is superior to Lubuntu.  Our forum members are phenomenal.  xfrank, I'm a n00b too, no matter what it says below my name.  And I consider this forum to be my school for Linux.  Although I've gathered a few tidbits here and there, it is from within this entire forum that I have learned about Linux.

Peppermint OS, and Peppermint forum go together.  Peppermint OS is a superb OS to use.   And Peppermint forum, because of the members within it, make it an absolutely outstanding forum in which to be a member.

It just can't get better than this.

;)

perknh

Update, 14 August 2014:

*I've changed my opinion since late last May about browsers.  Since Firefox 30 has arrived on the scene we've switched from Chrome to Firefox here at my home.  I wouldn't be saddened if, in the next release of Peppermint, we were given the choice of a couple of open source browsers such as Firefox and Chromium.  Firefox is an old standby for Linux browsers, and it sure seems to be getting better all of the time.  Maybe it's time to give Firefox a fresh look again, but that's just my opinion.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:53:54 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum