Author Topic: computer freezes  (Read 842 times)

Offline juaninhoo17

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint os 7
computer freezes
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:33:42 pm »
hello so im new to the linux system but a friend recommended me peppermint because he said that i was gonna be really hapy with and so far i am, i only have 1 issue.
i have a hp 15 laptop but every single time that i close the lid and open it again my system freezes, so it seems like i never closed it, also whenever im trying to turn off my system i do it normally but it stays in the peppermint and never turns off...

any help?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: computer freezes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:21:50 pm »
Hi juaninhoo17, welcome to the Peppermint Forum   8).  Have you run a post-installation update and upgrade?  If you haven't done this, we highly recommend you do so.  This often resolves issues without the need for further intervention.

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.  Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window.

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function.  This is located above the command on the far left side.  Use the right mouse button and select: Copy.  Paste the contents into the terminal by clicking the right mouse button and selecting: Paste.   If you’re using the, Chromium Browser or Google Chrome.  You can click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There’s NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you’re trying to execute.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgradeHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.  After that has completed, continue with:
sudo apt dist-upgradeHit enter and enter your user password if asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.

After the upgrade has completed, it’s very important to reboot your machine.  It’s highly likely that there’ll be a kernel upgrade.  Has this resolved your issue?
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: computer freezes
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:42:35 am »
And can you also post the output from:
inxi -F
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec