Choose style:

Author Topic: Conky freezes, won't autostart (SOLVED)  (Read 5215 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Conky freezes, won't autostart
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 11:28:10 am »
Hi WaltH, I was just struck with an idea that may help you out  ;)CrunchBang Linux was famous for its Conky community.  They literally turned writing Conky scripts into an art form.  Sadly, CrunchBang is consigned to the pages of history.  The old community have resurrected it in the form of bunsenlabs.  They also appear to kept their Conky cravings unsulied: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewforum.php?id=9.  Perhaps, asking there will yield the answers you're looking for.  The Crunchies were a great bunch, so it can't hurt asking the bunsenlabs crowd  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 11:48:43 am »
Hi WaltH, I was just struck with an idea that may help you out  ;)CrunchBang Linux was famous for its Conky community.  They literally turned writing Conky scripts into an art form.  Sadly, CrunchBang is consigned to the pages of history.  The old community have resurrected it in the form of bunsenlabs.  They also appear to kept their Conky cravings unsulied: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewforum.php?id=9.  Perhaps, asking there will yield the answers you're looking for.  The Crunchies were a great bunch, so it can't hurt asking the bunsenlabs crowd  ;).
I went through the 47 pages of Conky tips on the old CrunchBang forums and looked through the BunsenLabs forum as well. I have posted my issue there to see whether they have come across such behavior and have any ideas. Thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 12:30:33 pm »
I wasn't saying you definitely won't get help here, or that you shouldn't ask .. it was more a suggestion you should ALSO ask elsewhere ;)

AFAIK there's nothing peculiar to Peppermint 7 that should make conky behave any differently than in any other Ubuntu 16.04 based distro .. is your script tested as working in another distro ?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:38:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 01:17:28 pm »
More than likely, the problem is Conky 1.10.x itself.  If you install Conky 1.9.x the problems will probably evaporate.

LINK (picked at random):  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/conky

The only reason I'm using Conky 1.10.x is because I like breakage -- it's the challenge to get it working that's fun, you know ?  And, once it works, I'll be bored with it.   8)

Nobody really knows that much about Conky 1.10.x because it's such a radical departure from previous versions.  Plus, 1.10.x is a moving target and the binaries change daily.  If you want a stable version, you're going to need to compile it from source, and roast your own build.

The best place to research Conky 1.10.x problems is Git-Hub:  https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/issues

That's the location of the 'Conky Borg' hive , but the 'Collective' is mostly devs, so it might not be of much help.

Really, Conky users are stuck between a rock n' a hard spot, right now.  Truthfully, I don't know if Conky et. al. will survive v. 1.10.x.

There's a movement, out there, to fork Conky -- ppl are that angry about the changes.  Who knows where it will end up ?!?!?

As long as we're discussing this, I might add, Conky coding requires 'fuzzy logic'.  That's one of the reason there are so many 'if-then' variables in it. 

The problem is, most coders don't think that way, like if A=A1, then B=B1, else if A1=A2, then B=B2, else ifend, and so forth.  LoL  :D

Most coders are completely confused by Conky coding, and it takes years to get that 'fuzzy logic' AND Lua under your belt, and feel comfortable with it.

My suggestion is to downgrade Conky to version 1.9.x and go back to your original script -- unless you feel like beating your head against the wall, like me.   8)

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 05:19:01 pm »
More than likely, the problem is Conky 1.10.x itself.  If you install Conky 1.9.x the problems will probably evaporate.

LINK (picked at random):  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/conky

The only reason I'm using Conky 1.10.x is because I like breakage -- it's the challenge to get it working that's fun, you know ?  And, once it works, I'll be bored with it.   8)

Nobody really knows that much about Conky 1.10.x because it's such a radical departure from previous versions.  Plus, 1.10.x is a moving target and the binaries change daily.  If you want a stable version, you're going to need to compile it from source, and roast your own build.

The best place to research Conky 1.10.x problems is Git-Hub:  https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/issues

That's the location of the 'Conky Borg' hive , but the 'Collective' is mostly devs, so it might not be of much help.

Really, Conky users are stuck between a rock n' a hard spot, right now.  Truthfully, I don't know if Conky et. al. will survive v. 1.10.x.

There's a movement, out there, to fork Conky -- ppl are that angry about the changes.  Who knows where it will end up ?!?!?

As long as we're discussing this, I might add, Conky coding requires 'fuzzy logic'.  That's one of the reason there are so many 'if-then' variables in it. 

The problem is, most coders don't think that way, like if A=A1, then B=B1, else if A1=A2, then B=B2, else ifend, and so forth.  LoL  :D

Most coders are completely confused by Conky coding, and it takes years to get that 'fuzzy logic' AND Lua under your belt, and feel comfortable with it.

My suggestion is to downgrade Conky to version 1.9.x and go back to your original script -- unless you feel like beating your head against the wall, like me.   8)
Well, I've come this far, so I might as well see if the folks at Bunsen Labs can help me get up and running. They've given me some suggested corrections to my .conkyrc file, so we'll see what effect those have. Thanks.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 07:35:50 pm »
Well, I've come this far, so I might as well see if the folks at Bunsen Labs can help me get up and running. They've given me some suggested corrections to my .conkyrc file, so we'll see what effect those have. Thanks.

Word to the wise ...

Don't mention my name over there, or they'll hang you from the yardarm.   ;)

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 10:00:47 pm »

Word to the wise ...

Don't mention my name over there, or they'll hang you from the yardarm.   ;)
Actually, Sector11 says you're welcome there any time you want to come over. He says the coffee is always on.  :)

Now, for a stupid question regard the Conky 1.9 link. I'm a bit out of practice building from source, though I know I can find instructions for doing so. Should I decide to revert to the 1.9 series, would you recommend going to the 1.9.0-6build1 or the 1.9.0-4 version? I also assume I need all three files listed in each directory?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 10:21:33 pm »
it seems the conky 1.9 packages from trusty (14.04) will install in 16.04
https://coreygoldberg.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/what-heck-happened-to-conky-im-rolling-back.html
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 10:27:25 pm »
Yeah, they should work, but I always install 'conky-all'.  That's got the whole shebang.   ;)

conky-all highly configurable system monitor (all features enabled)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 10:33:40 pm »
Actually, Sector11 says you're welcome there any time you want to come over. He says the coffee is always on.  :)

Hrm ... Maybe I'll do that.

Coffee is a lovely drug !    8)

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 10:37:21 pm »

Hrm ... Maybe I'll do that.

Coffee is a lovely drug !    8)
It's one of my favorites, along with a good red wine or a nice dark porter or stout.  :)

Regarding the conky-all (which is what I installed in version 1.10) is there a .deb package I can get should I decide to roll back? I'm not sure I trust my BUILD/MAKE skills. Either way, I think I'll mark this as solved since the folks at BunsenLabs gave me some suggestions and advice, and my Conky hasn't frozen in more than four hours, a new record for me in PM 7. Thanks to everyone for trying to help and for being patient.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Conky freezes, won't autostart (SOLVED)
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 10:43:31 pm »
All the guys I hang with drink Chianti.  LoL  !

Glad you got it sorted !   ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 11:22:44 pm »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 11:27:04 pm »
You can search for any Ubuntu package for any version here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec