Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 7 - Compiz  (Read 5139 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Peppermint 7 - Compiz
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:32:50 am »
For those that want the fancy compiz desktop effects, and don't mind the extra resource usage.
(may also be handy for those with screen tearing with the xfce4 compositor but if screen tearing is the ONLY reason you're considering compiz I'd instead suggest simply turning off desktop effects in the Peppermint Control Center, or switching to compton, or applying one of the many available graphics driver tweaks .. compiz is heavier than the other screen tearing fixes).

Installing and configuring Compiz in Peppermint 7

Open a terminal and run:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins compiz-plugins-extra compiz-plugins-main libmetacity-private3a metacity metacity-common
now open dconf-editor from the main menu (menu > System Tools > dconf Editor), and in the left-hand pane navigate to

org > gnome > metacity

In the right-hand pane select:-

theme

and change it from:-

Ambiance

to:-

Greybird

and exit dconf-editor.

Now fire up CompizConfig Settings Manager from the main menu (menu > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager) and enable at a minimum these  plugins

Composite
Gnome Compatibility
OpenGL
Window Decoration     <-- you MUST change a setting in this plugin (see below)
Move Window
Resize Window
Place Windows
Workarounds

(you **can** enable other compiz plugins, but you MUST have at least the ones above enabled)

Also, in the "Window Decoration" plugin change the Command from:

Command: /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator

to

Command: /usr/bin/metacity --replace

And now to test it all works .. in a terminal run:
compiz --replace ccp &
If everything works including windows decorations .. you can move on to setting your system to autostart with compiz/metacity as the window manager rather that xfwm4

If not, simply logging off/on will get you back to xfwm4

Autostarting with compiz/metacity as the window manager instead of xfwm4

Open:-
menu > Preferences > Default applications for LXSession

switch to the "Core applications" tab, and change

Window Manager: xfwm4

to

Window Manager: compiz --replace ccp &

Now log off/on to test.

Additional Info

If you want to change the window decoration theme, you'll now need to change it in the dconf-editor key:-

org > gnome > metacity > theme

(as described above) instead of the Peppermint Control Center.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:29:40 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline saltandpepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Peppermint 7 - Compiz
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:39:02 pm »
Hi,
Seems I can have Compiz or Window borders but not both. Tried about 3 different machines, same result. I just want the Cube with Expo and Peppermint Theming (love the peppermint theming). I have done fresh installs then update, install compiz both your instructions above and the one on youtube by Yonn Lopez. I loose theming and or window borders or no compiz effects (cube). Tried so many combinations of your instructions above but can't get it the way I want it, which is Peppermint OS 7 theme with Compiz cube. All testing was on full hardware installs, testing on VB now so I see what that does. Any ideas? Thanks

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:56:23 pm »
a) make sure you have you got metacity installed

b) In CompizConfig Settings Manager, select the "Windows Decoration" plugin andn set

Command: /usr/bin/metacity --replace

c) in  a terminal run:
compiz --replace ccp &
did the window titlebars still work ?

If not, does
metacity --replace
get you the windows titlebars ?

if not
xfwm4 --replace
should get you back to defaults
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:11:04 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline saltandpepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:50:51 pm »
Hi, I have done more testing.
On full hardware:
a)  metacity installed, yes, when I look in Synaptic Package manager it is green. If I am correct, your 'code' in your tutorial above should install this?

Soon as I change
b) In CompizConfig Settings Manager, select the "Windows Decoration" plugin and set
From /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator
to  /usr/bin/metacity --replace

I get borders back but the cube/expo stops working. If I change back to: /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator then Cube/Expo work but borders gone, no title bar or close restore minimize buttons. Can't drag window around.

Virtual Box:
In my virtual machine I have Cube/Expo working with borders but some theming seems different, the title bar is blue with 'thick' close-restore-minimize buttons. As best as I can tell with the same 'settings' as I am using on my full hardware installations.

Are other people getting similar results to mine following your tutorial above? Or is it all working ok for others?
I have some screenshots but don't know how/can't post them here.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:01:59 am by saltandpepper »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:34:35 am »
Hi saltandpepper, how's it going?  Compiz is pretty much an alien concept around here  ;D.  You're not going to find many, people who actually use it.  Those that do, are generally using it as a last resort for screen tearing issues.   Most people find it too memory hungry for practical purposes  ;).  It's kind of like having a Ferrari and using it to tow and eight berth caravan/camper  :o.

To post images to this site, you need to use an image hosting site, such as Imgur: imgur.com or Postimage.org: postimage.org.  It's a good idea to sign up for a free account.  You'll be able to organize your images etc.  Upload your image(s) to these sites.  These are Also good sites to make SSBs with the Ice tool for future use  ;).  You will find links to your images already formatted for different uses.  For Imgur, choose the one for BBCode (message boards & forums).  For Postimage.org, choose the one for Thumbnail for Forums (1) and copy the links.  Paste them into the forum editor.  You do not need to encapsulate these links or modify them.  I suggest you have a play around to familiarise yourself with the site's functions.  Use the Preview button in the forum editor to check how they look.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 04:12:01 am »
Are other people getting similar results to mine following your tutorial above? Or is it all working ok for others?

On Peppermint 6 I had the same inconsistency... I'm not saying that it doesn't work just that I was never able to get it working correct although it worked in a VM. Eventually I've given up and installed kwin which gives you most effects but is not going to help with screen tearing...
Do you have by any chance NVIDIA drivers/hardware?

I have some screenshots but don't know how/can't post them here.

Follow AndyInMokum's advice, if you need a more visual tutorial: How To Post an Image on the Forum: Imgur

Hope this helps!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline saltandpepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 07:48:37 am »
Hi saltandpepper, how's it going?  Compiz is pretty much an alien concept around here  ;D.  You're not going to find many, people who actually use it.  Those that do, are generally using it as a last resort for screen tearing issues.   Most people find it too memory hungry for practical purposes  ;).  It's kind of like having a Ferrari and using it to tow and eight berth caravan/camper  :o.

To post images to this site, you need to use an image hosting site, such as Imgur: imgur.com or Postimage.org: postimage.org.  It's a good idea to sign up for a free account.  You'll be able to organize your images etc.  Upload your image(s) to these sites.  These are Also good sites to make SSBs with the Ice tool for future use  ;).  You will find links to your images already formatted for different uses.  For Imgur, choose the one for BBCode (message boards & forums).  For Postimage.org, choose the one for Thumbnail for Forums (1) and copy the links.  Paste them into the forum editor.  You do not need to encapsulate these links or modify them.  I suggest you have a play around to familiarise yourself with the site's functions.  Use the Preview button in the forum editor to check how they look.  I hope this helps  ;).

Thanks AndyInMokum, thats is what I thought. This will save everyone a lot of headaches. I saw a youtube video and then the forum here about it and got all excited but I will just let it go for now. Cheers

GNULINUX, thanks also, same issues here also. Some machines with ATI some Nvidia but still all over the place inconsistent. Thanks for you advice also.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:05:57 am by saltandpepper »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 07:50:20 am »
The tutorial above shows that window decoration themeing now needs to be applied via dconf-editor .. and as you're now using metacity, will only work with themes that contain a metacity component.

Gimme a day or so, and I'll try to figure out the 'cube' thing (and adjust the tutorial if necessary) .. I never really tested that when doing the tutorial and don't really use compiz myself.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:00:38 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline saltandpepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 08:22:12 am »
The tutorial above shows that window decoration themeing now needs to be applied via dconf-editor .. and as you're using metacity, will only work with themes that contain a metacity component.

Gimme a day or so, and I'll try to figure out the 'cube' thing (and adjust the tutorial if necessary) .. I never really tested that when doing the tutorial and don't really use compiz myself.

Ok just don't stress to much if it gets to hard. I'll check back here in a few days, Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:39:42 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: fixed quote »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:02:15 pm »
Hi

Thought I would have a play and followed all the steps in the first post and I am pretty sure it's not working as Wobbly windows don't.

How to diagnose ?

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »
When you ran
compiz --replace ccp &
did the window decorations change ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 01:41:52 am »
Hi

Yes they did change.

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 06:28:55 am »
Is wobbly windows actually enabled ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 02:20:52 pm »
Sorry - been out all day - yes it is enabled

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092