Choose style:

Author Topic: Why is microsoft windows so popular?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Why is microsoft windows so popular?
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:24:58 pm »
You get virus; expensive OS and privacy issues.
I don't understand.  :-\

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Why is microsoft windows so popular?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:04:06 am »
It's because it's pre-installed on nearly every new PC/laptop sold.  In the mind of the the public, Windows has become synonymous with what makes a PC/Laptop work.  Other operating systems, are merely poorman, difficult to use alternatives to "the real thing".  Something that only geeks, freaks and hackers use. 

The average Windows user is also not willing, or is too lazy to learn how their OS works. M$ have provided Joe Public with a system that requires little to no knowledge to use, (along with all the dangers computer ignorance carries).  As long as they can turn it on and email, Fekbook and watch newest cat video on YouTube.  That's all that matters.  M$ provides the mindless, idiot platform for these services.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:11:07 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:15:52 am »
It's because it's pre-installed on nearly every new PC/laptop sold.
+1

Most people I know don't have a clue how to format/install an OS so they use whatever is/was pre-installed...

Greets!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 05:52:48 am »

It's sad, Bloch, isn't it?   :(

AndyInMokum and GNULINUX, however, hit the nail on the head.  It's because Windows comes pre-installed on computers.

Here's what the man himself, Linus Torvalds, says about this issue:

Q&A session with Linus Torvalds: Why is Linux not competitive on desktop?

From the aaltouniversityace's channel.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:46:51 am »
My opinion: Windows only seems user friendly. Yes, it works out of the box. But then, it slows down over time until it's too annoying to use - and to prevent it, you need some advanced tricks, removing sh*t files from strange directories aetc. Also, you should know how to avoid threats - no anti-virus can protect the computer from users ignorance or lack of common sense.
For the average person to learn how to use Linux, it's not just that they have to learn Linux itself (which is in many ways like completely starting over), they also have to learn how to install and/or uninstall an operating system (most people don't seem to know how to do this), and/or learn how to build a computer.

I'm a ex windows 95; 98; ME; XP; 7 user. When i tried linux for first time (Fedora, 2013) i was WOOOOAAAAAh no need to download drivers? woooa everything is working? woooaa magic!
Fantastic...With Peppermint 7 everything works!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:50:42 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: modified profanity »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:00:44 am »
Mainly what Andy said.  Because Bill Gates is a genius.  Not for creating Windows, but for realizing that, if he got nearly every OEM to install Windows by default, users would come to love and depend on it.  Your average computer user doesn't ever change the operating system they use until they buy a new computer. (which is why M$ forced Win10 on them)  They just stick to whatever came preinstalled on there.  Most lack not only the tech ability to change but also the desire to.  To them, Windows works just fine, so why change?  Most aren't aware there are alternatives and don't care.

The other reason is software compatibility.  Tell most users who think about switching that X program may not work with Linux and that they will have to find an alternative and suddenly they won't want to change.  They would rather run a system with massive security holes, viruses and everything they do being reported back to M$ than not be able to run that software.  This is especially true of gamers.

Furthermore, let's not forget Microsoft's nearly two decade long FUD campaign against Linux and all things open source.  Since the late nineties, they have taken nearly every opportunity to bash open source and talk up their own overpriced and overrated software.

P.S. Windows only works out of the box on new computers where the OEM installed everything.  Installing it from a Windows DVD means spending quite some time afterwards installing drivers to make it work.  Also, let's not forget wonderful Windows Update, which is continental drift slow and all of the rebooting you have to do with Windows.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:07:33 am by scifidude79 »

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 10:02:38 am »
Scifidude79 +1

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 10:13:49 am »
My opinion: Windows only seems user friendly. Yes, it works out of the box.

Agreed, Windows is no more user friendly than Linux .. IMHO it's MUCH less so.

Ignoring the fact the Windows users who say it's "easier", only say so after 10 years Windows experience and 10 minutes on Linux .. well duh!!!

It would be hard to argue something is "more user friendly" when it constantly requires maintenance from it's user (or often a professional), does a really bad job of protecting their data (in fact no job at all without third party software), and pretty much requires you to buy a new PC every release.

And that's without even going into the "user friendliness" of stealing your keystrokes to sell/profit from .. I'm awaiting someone to come up with the next big idea only to find Microsoft have already copyrighted/patented the idea because at some point the inventor typed up the details or did some of the design work for their new idea on a Windows box prior to patenting it themselves.

When they did the initial Win 10 advert with the kids "the future starts now", my immediate thought was, poor kids they'll never have an idea Microsoft doesn't know about.

It most certainly does NOT work "out of the box" .. it requires you to install drivers, software (including AV), and 24 frikin hours plus of updates, by the end of which it's well on it's way to not working properly any more.

Unless you meant when you remove the new COMPUTER "out of the box" .. yep, it's the "Windows pre-installed" thing that does it for them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:21:53 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 10:26:34 am »
When they did the initial Win 10 advert with the kids "the future starts now", my immediate thought was, poor kids they'll never have an idea Microsoft doesn't know about.

:P :P :P :P

i laugh a lot.

Microsoft windows is a joke!

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 11:46:45 am »

It most certainly does NOT work "out of the box" .. it requires you to install drivers, software (including AV), and 24 frikin hours plus of updates, by the end of which it's well on it's way to not working properly any more.

I can vouch for that !

I'm dual-booting winders 10.  I had to do a fresh install from a winders ISO.  Why ?

Microsoft would not allow me to upgrade my OEM install the normal way -- a 'distro-upgrade', if you will.  Why ? 

Because Microsoft said winders 10 would break my system, and void my OEM warranty.  Why ?

Microsoft said Dell machines require a S...load of proprietary drivers.  And, they do !

It took ME half a day to install winders 10 from an ISO, with having to hunt down and install Dell drivers for this PARTICULAR rig.  Sometimes there were 10 drivers (such as network drivers) to choose from, depending on the build of this machine --  which BIOS version you are running, and so forth.  It all depended on the hardware config, when it left the Dell factory, and what you had upgraded since then.

After getting it to boot successfully, it took another day or two of tweaking to get everything working/updating correctly.

Everything is working fine, now, but for awhile, every time I booted into winders it required two or three hours of upgrading this or that -- each one requiring multiple restarts, which I couldn't do unattended, because my GRUB is setup to restart in Peppermint 7, not winders 10.

Anyway, it was a royal PITA !  LoL !   ;D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »
Yeah, I never have figured out why Windows takes so long to update.  It doesn't seem to matter your ISP speed or processing speed, or whatever, it just takes forever to update.  And, since they never do updated .iso files unless they do a "service pack" release, it takes longer and longer after a fresh install as time goes by.  ::)  Plus, with Win10, you apparently can't disable automatic updates and it will update and reboot whenever it feels like.  As someone who has done long animation renders, I can say this is definitely a less than ideal situation.  There's nothing like being in hour 36 of a 54 hour render and having your PC reboot.  >:(

Also, let's not forget the other joys of running Windows:  Registry cleanup, disk scans, disk defragmenting and the other wonderful crap you have to do periodically just to make sure your computer still works.  ::)

I'm sure glad I jumped ship.

Offline supercat

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 05:36:19 pm »
It's taken me about 8-9 years to transition to Linux from Windows. But I never switched to Linux, no burning my bridges, because I still use WinXP and Win7 in VirtualBox. For me personally, Windows has killer apps that run flawlessly in Windows - NeatImage (noise reduction in photos), Photoshop (sorry I still can't get on with GIMP for certain things), Adobe Fireworks (formerly Macromedia Fireworks) for graphics, and Nikon Capture NX2 for nef raw images. I wish all these apps could be ported to Linux and work fully and flawlessly, but that's simply not going to happen (some of it is old software anyway).

In my cosy setup, I can continue running my killer apps in Windows using VirtualBox for years to come - as long as VB continues to allow me to run old versions of Windows. If there is any sign that VB will no longer run XP and 7, then I will create massively redundant backups of all my vdi and vbox files to keep going for more years.

But one thing is certain - my base system, my host, will be Linux for the foreseeable future. But you will have to pry my Win killer apps out of my cold, dead hands  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 10:02:32 pm »
I started with Linux in 2009.  I finally destroyed my Windows discs (cut them in half) last month or so.  So, yeah, it took me a bit of time to completely transition as well.  ;)  I don't even run stuff in WINE, it's Linux compatible or bust.

But, now there's no going back and it's actually quite liberating.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 01:31:46 am »
But, now there's no going back and it's actually quite liberating.

It's hugely liberating

Ignorance and plain stupidity also play a huge part in Windows popularity

just last week my daughter phoned me and asked me if I knew of a way she could make labels on her Windows tablet (this is the same tablet I refused to help her set up 6 months ago when she first got it on the grounds I wouldn't help Microsoft spy on her)

I told her I know nothing about Windows or any applications she could use and even if there was some application I've no idea if it's possible to connect to a printer from the tablet but she has a laptop running PM6 download Glabels and use that but she was determined to use her tablet so I told her if she's determined to do it the hard way I can't help her

Afterwards my wife said to me " you could have been a bit more helpful" my answer to that was yes I could have been a bit more helpful but if she called me and said dad I want to start smoking cannabis because all my friends are doing it would you show me how to roll a fat one I would be equally unhelpful not because I don't want to help her because I don't want to harm her

DISCLAIMER
By the way I don't have a clue how to roll a fat one I've never done it in my life I was just using it as an analogy  :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 02:48:12 am »
...but she was determined to use her tablet so I told her if she's determined to do it the hard way I can't help her
Cruel to be kind eh  ;)!  I recently opened up a newly installed Windows 7.  It's on one of the laptops have waiting for a Peppermint 7 conversion, (I'm trying to hold off until the respin).  I have to admit, Windows 7 is one of the nicer versions M$ have released.  It still felt like I was wearing boxing gloves while navigating around it.  Peppermint 7 is infinitely faster and more responsive.  It's a far more intuitive OS than Windows 7.  All the drivers are ready to go, updates are fast and simple, installing software is ridiculously easy, security is built into system - what more do you want  8).

Windows users complain that Linux is difficult to use.  That's only because they over complicate it by trying to use Windows methods of operation.  Once they break that mindset, things start to become simple and logical.  This is the moment when the penny drops  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.