Choose style:

Author Topic: Nokia's Z Launcher & Launcher<3  (Read 779 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Nokia's Z Launcher & Launcher<3
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:43 pm »
Hello Peppermint!

I know I'm late to the game of Android, and, honestly, I've done all I could to avoid having an Android phone as long as was reasonably possible.  But after seeing that we've finally arrived at the point where we can run Android phones as inexpensively as the so-called dumb phones, I finally took the plunge and started to use an Andorid phone.  First I looked at Cyanogen, as a way to update and modify my phone, but the more I read about Cyanogen, the less comfortable I felt with installing CyanogenMod to my phone.  So, after that investigation, I began looking at launchers.

Well, one launcher has caught my eye as being particularly interesting.  It's called Z Launcher Beta in the Google Play Store, and it's from Nokia (Nokia Apps Distribution LLC.).  This launcher is VERY minimalist.  But it is quite remarkable, really. You can scribble a letter or number on screen with your finger, and it then does a pretty good job of finding what you're looking for in your phone (apps or contacts), or online.   Now, this launcher is still in beta, so the Product Improvement Program is enabled by default.  However, I've used this launcher with both the Product Improvement Program enabled and disabled, and the launcher works fine both ways.  For me, since I like beta testing, I am participating with the beta testing of the launcher, but anyone can always uncheck the box and opt out.  You can also reset your data as if your were a new user too.

Anyway, in case somebody here didn't know about this interesting launcher, I wanted to give it a shout out.  I know this launcher certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea, but, for me, it's been a game changer.  I don't know why, but I just don't like looking at a screen full of apps, so this launcher has finally made my phone considerably more user-friendly for me.  :)

Now this launcher has gone from alpha to beta, so the video below is as close to what I've been seeing occur when using my old Samsung Galaxy S3 phone right now--which is running KitKat.  I know from personal experience that this launcher won't run on Gingerbread.  I've tried installing it on my wife's phone (a Samsung Galaxy 2), but I can't.  I wonder if anyone here can guess what I'll be getting mrs.perknh for Christmas?

Anyway, if you've got the time, check out the video below.  This launcher really is quite interesting.  ;)

[EDIT]

Correction:

According to Josh Lowensohn, writing for The Verge, "The idea behind Z Launcher, which is named after a gesture that lets you write out letters right on the screen instead of typing on a keyboard, is to give you a running list of apps and contacts that changes based on where you are and what you're doing. You can also scribble out a letter in the middle of your homescreen to search what's installed on your phone, or things on the internet through Google suggest." 

I had mentioned, when I first wrote this post, that the Z in Z Launcher stood for Zen, but apparently this is not so.

Source:

The Nokia team Microsoft didnít buy has made an Android launcher

By Josh Lowensohn

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/19/5822336/nokia-team-creates-z-launcher-android

Hands on and reviewing Nokia's Z Launcher

By WiseAPPreviews

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 04:15:31 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline Skara Brae

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
Re: Hands on and reviewing Nokia's Z Launcher
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 04:25:42 am »
<bump> ;D

I have tried a few different launchers a couple of times, back with my Galaxy S, but I didn't know much about launchers and I never felt quite comfortable about it. ("This really ain't gonna wreck my Galaxy, will it?")

I have two HTC smartphones, and I see no reason to use another launcher. HTC and their "Sense" are quite nice.
Registered Linux User #495429

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Hands on and reviewing Nokia's Z Launcher
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:18:35 am »
Hello Skara Brae,

The nice thing about Nokia's Z Launcher is its minimalism.  There's only a list of six of your last most recent calls or inquiries on the screen.  And, below those, four icons of your most used apps of your choosing.  That's it --not a full screen of apps and apps.

If you want to look something up, all you need to do is trace a letter of two on the phone's screen with your finger --and, presto, it appears!  The launcher is quite amazing.  It's great if you want to keep things simple.  ;)

perknh
-- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Nokia's Z Launcher & Launcher<3
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 04:47:56 pm »
Also, there is now another launcher in Google's Play that's seemingly geared more to us embracing the open source philosophy of Linux.  The name of the launcher is called Launcher<3.  And it is developed by a fellow named Jason Kung.  This launcher is also minimalist, but in a different way:  in this case Launcher<3 mimics the new Google Pixel.  Its app drawer, or app tray, is very well designed, and with the flick of a finger you can find all your apps in a jiffy.  You don't have to go page after page looking for an application --just one flick of a finger up or down and you've found it! ;)

But, perhaps even better than Launcher<3's minimalism is the location of Launcher<3's source code and its privacy policy.  Its source code is found on GitHub, and its privacy policy says this:

[Privacy Policy]
Launcher<3 Does not collect or transfer any data to us or to any third party.

This is by far the best privacy policy I've ever seen concerning any Android launcher.:)

Thank you, Jason Kung!

Source:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jasonkung.launcher3
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:13:59 pm by perknh »
-- AndyInMokum