Choose style:

Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 5429 times)

Offline VANWILDE

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 4 32bit
Netflix
« on: June 04, 2014, 05:12:33 pm »
Hi, i wonder if any one can help me, i am runnign the new peppermint and i want to watxh netflix, can it be done? i am quite ne to the terminal and peppermint so i am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Netflix
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:23:07 pm »
It can be done (or so I'm told) :)

See here:
http://pipelight.net/cms/install/installation-ubuntu.html
(follow the instructions for Ubuntu)

If you need help with that .. just ask :)

[EDIT]

You'll also probably want to use Firefox instead of Chromium.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:27:05 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ichy

• Newly Subscribed
  • Another Journey
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 64-bit
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:29:22 am »
I hope it's okay to be posting on this old thread.

I'm using PeppermintOS 7 and having no luck following the instructions given.
Source: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2697745/install-silverlight-alternative-pipelight-in-linux-mint-16.html
I know it says it's for Mint, but it looked like the same instructions as for another page I saw that was for Ubuntu. Plus, isn't Mint based off Ubuntu? If I screwed up there, .. oops. xD

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pipelight
sudo pipelight-plugin --update
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight

This is what I did. It seemed to be working fine, and upon putting in the last command, it says it's enabled, but Netflix still acts as though there's nothing; not playing videos. Have I done something wrong? I am using Firefox and I did restart Firefox in-case that was it.

It actually briefly showed that it was downloading and installing something (a smaller, separate window popped up) but nothing appeared to happen after it supposedly installed; did it crash on the last step? :\

Here is the source for what I mistook as the same instruction, but I realise there was a difference--oops indeed.
http://pipelight.net/cms/install/installation-ubuntu.html

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends pipelight-multi
sudo pipelight-plugin --update

It's fine until you get to the recommends line. Can I recover from this without making a mess?

UPDATE:

Attempted to sudo apt-get the install-recommends pipelight-multi thingy, which seemed successful, and I did re-enable it using the earlier command, but still nothing is playing on Netflix.
Restarted computer, made no difference.
I do however now see Silverlight Plug-In on the Firefox Add-ons Manager! If it's there, why's it not working?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:01:02 am by Ichy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:35:35 am »
Just install Google Chrome and use that to watch netflix .. Chrome has the requisite DRM built in.
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Download the ".deb" version, then just double-click it to install
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ichy

• Newly Subscribed
  • Another Journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:53:55 pm »
Thanks, but I use Firefox so I was kinda hoping to get it to work on Firefox. lol Is there a way, or is Linux Firefox just not able?  :-\ If I get no luck with Firefox though, I'll do as you suggested.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »
You're fighting a loosing battle with FF .. it *could* be done (in the past, dunno about now .. I don't think pipelight has been updated in ages, or is even active any more), but it never worked very well (jerky and prone to crashing).

Chrome is your best bet, even if you use it for nothing else .. maybe just install Chrome and create a Chrome Netflix SSB.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ichy

• Newly Subscribed
  • Another Journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 08:19:14 pm »
I wanted to update with a solution, in-case someone else stumbles across this thread:

I was able to get Netflix to work in Firefox. The reason it wasn't working--and no, it wasn't because of Java--was because Netflix isn't designed to natively pick up Linux, it seems. I had to install a browser extension called UAControl, in order to pretend Netflix is being used by Firefox running on an NT system. I've no clue why Netflix are so damn picky, but that's how it went down.

Two issues came up, but were easily solvable:

1) Using a dual monitor set up, as I am, meant I was unable to watch stuff on the right monitor while simultaneously doing stuff on the left monitor. Reason being, the background was showing through the player, thanks to Peppermint's default transparency on inactive windows. Not a problem! Not really. I just disabled the transparency. It'd be nice to have that on an app-to-app basis, and I don't doubt that's possible, but this is fine. I'm happy with it for the time being.

2) By default, on Windows, Silverlight (or in this case, Pipelight) doesn't keep the media as fullscreen when you click away on, for example, a different monitor. I was able to fix that by bringing up the old Silverlight options interface, or something along those lines, then to enable an option to keep it in fullscreen. Unfortunately, I can no longer remember how on Earth I discovered that menu. :( If I remember or stumble across it again, I'll hopefully remember to edit this thread with that info.

So far, Netflix is behaving. I did have one Firefox crash, but I think that was a result of UAControl, because Netflix wasn't working properly, but then I disabled it, and it continued to work. By Netflix, in this case, I'm referring to the little boxes denoting the various films and programmes, not the playback itself. Each one refused to expand showing more information. I managed to sort it by editing the UAControl setting for Netflix to the version of Firefox that I'm actually using, which is 49, whereas before it was something in the early 20s, I believe.

Funnily enough, I did try Chromium but it still didn't work, and from looking into it, it seems I would still have needed a Chromium-appropriate version of UAControl in order to get Netflix to work, which is why I decided to just persevere with Firefox.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 08:25:23 pm »
NETFLIX works natively with Google Chrome using Linux.  It won't work if you're using the Chromium Browser.   I use Google Chrome all the time.  Its NETFLIX compatibility is main reason I have it installed  ;).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:55:42 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Additional info. »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Ichy

• Newly Subscribed
  • Another Journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 11:39:20 am »
Hi. So at least Chrome works natively; that's cool, thanks. When someone mentioned Chrome beforehand, I thought they were referring to Chromium, as I didn't think Chrome was officially supported on Linux--oops.

Netflix actually apparently does work with Chromium, but, similar to Firefox needing UAControl, Chromium needs something called "User Agent Switcher" and then you'd need to select "Windows Firefox 15" from its preferences. I'm sure 15 would be incredibly outdated now, since Firefox is on 49.0.2 at least from what I can see, but no doubt selecting a more appropriate option would suffice.

I probably should've tried Chrome, but I guess it's moot now that I have it working on Firefox and am watching Fresh Meat on it right now. 8D Hopefully this'll help the OP as well.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 12:20:18 pm »
Great stuff Ichy, always good for people to have options .. specially when (like me) you can't stand Chrome/Chromium :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 12:53:09 pm »
I was able to get Netflix to work in Firefox. The reason it wasn't working--and no, it wasn't because of Java--was because Netflix isn't designed to natively pick up Linux, it seems. I had to install a browser extension called UAControl, in order to pretend Netflix is being used by Firefox running on an NT system. I've no clue why Netflix are so damn picky, but that's how it went down.

Yeah, Netflix has no support for Linux anymore and no desire to restore it, it seems.  They supported Linux at one point, but only for a short time.  They claime their DRM only works with Windblows, but I doubt that.  I suspect it's more of an agreement between them and Google.  They put in some DRM that most Linux browsers can't handle without a lot of modding, and Chrome magically comes to the "rescue" with the required DRM built in.  All you have to do is run Chrome. ::)

Crap like this is why I have a Roku.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 02:08:52 pm »
Quote from: scifidude79
Crap like this is why I have a Roku.

Carp like this is why I have a rod.

Sorry, couldn't resist :))
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:17:30 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec