Choose style:

Author Topic: Annoying Hum and Feedback in new Asrock Motherboard(SOLVED)  (Read 877 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Annoying Hum and Feedback in new Asrock Motherboard(SOLVED)
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:48:54 am »
Hello Peppermint people. Although I have already solved this problem, I though this might be of interest to anyone who is experiencing a similar problem. Ever since I upgraded my motherboard from an old Intel to a new Asrock AM1-B board, I have had this extremely annoying hum and feedback. I thought I had fixed it by removing long extension cords I had hooking up my webcam and mic. but it came back. After reviewing ronaldo9's post on the same subject, and thinking about PCNetSpec's comment about feedback, I looked into the possibility of shielded cables as being a solution. I read a discussion here;  http://www.rane.com/note151.html  and the individual was talking about audio grounding and it got me to thinking. When I was installing the old Intel board, it wouldn't start up, just beeped. I googled troubleshooting "beeps and it turned out to be a timeout problem and the recommend repair was to insure the board wasn't grounded to the case. So I removed the board and placed black electrician's tape on the board at all the in use mount holes, front and back. That took care of that problem and the board worked well. So I decided to try the same thing with this Asrock motherboard and sure enough, all my noise problems are gone! YAY!  Hope this helps, it sure made me happy.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Annoying Hum and Feedback in new Asrock Motherboard(SOLVED)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 11:11:41 am »
Yeah motherboards and cases used to come with electrical isolation washers for the mounting risers .. wonder when they stopped doing that  ???

Nice one alynur .. thanks for the update and solution :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec