Choose style:

Author Topic: Level 5 red updates to PM7?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline supercat

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Level 5 red updates to PM7?
« on: August 30, 2016, 03:57:30 am »
Just got some updates that are red level 5. As usual I don't know whether to install them - kernel things, quite small files. So I'm not going to install them just yet.

This level 5 debate has been endlessly discussed on the Mint forums - this thread even has a longish post from Clem:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=168782&start=60

Could the Peppermint devs please set out their stall on their position on level 5 updates, and whether they take the same position as Clem, or perhaps a slightly different viewpoint.

Thanks  ???

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Level 5 red updates to PM7?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 05:19:35 am »
Okay, we use the Mint updater, but we DO NOT follow their weird update policy of holding back certain updates .. by default we follow the Ubuntu update policy and we advise you do too.

That's why the updater is set to download ALL updates by default.

Mint have a great updater (why we use it), but I've never understood their policy of holding back things like kernel updates as "dangerous" .. it causes their users systems to progressively diverge from the upstream Ubuntu repositories that they rely heavily on, and could even be viewed as a security risk (though they do install things from the "security" repo).

Our advice is to stick to the default settings and install ALL updates .. that's why those are the default settings ;)

Mint seem to have gone with a "once installed and working, do not change anything that may break it" policy, whilst this **may** at first glance seem like a good idea it also denies improvement to hardware support and in some cases bug/security fixes.
In our (and upstream Ubuntu's) opinion kernel updates and the like are MUCH more likely to fix issues than create them, it also progressively adds support for new hardware and peripherals (as opposed to Mints "if it doesn't work out of the box, tough") .. and in the unlikely event of a kernel regression the old kernel is still present and can be chosen from the GRUB menu if necessary.

We (and Mint) are Ubuntu based and rely heavily on the upstream Ubuntu repos .. to our way of thinking it makes sense to track those repos as closely as possible, not to introduce a policy that causes slow divergence from them .. that said, we also like "choice", so if you prefer the Mint policy feel free to change the updatemanager defaults ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:37:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Level 5 red updates to PM7?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 06:46:11 am »
Hi supercat

From a user perspective running peppermint on 3 diff machines now for over a year, I have NEVER had a problem with any auto update carried out via the update manager.
i5 2008 desktop, all ok.  i5 2014 laptop all ok and now my new desktop i7 skylake machine all ok.

Trust the developers, they would never knowlingly steer you wrong and who knows Peppermnit better than they do  :)

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:29:21 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080