Offline punksnotdead83

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Hello
« on: January 07, 2017, 04:57:08 pm »
Hello.
 I am new to Peppermint and so far I like what I see :) It just seems to work and I like that.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 05:38:49 pm »
Hi punksnotdead83, welcome to the Peppermint Forum  8).  It's good to know you're liking Peppermint 7  :).  If you have any questions, or run into an issue.  Please don't hesitate to ask here.  There's always someone willing to help out  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:25:07 pm »
Hello, punksnotdead83,

I'm so happy to see you found us.  Believe me, punksnotdead83, things work a lot better over here than things do in Opera's forum!  So welcome to Peppermint, and welcome to our forum. :)

perknh

P.S.

By the way, punksnotdead83, you're right.  I know that Punk is NOT dead --nor should it be!  I'm always happy to listen to anyone who says it the way it is.  ;)  By the way,  punksnotdead83, if you'd like, here's a link to install Opera-beta from Peppermint's terminal:

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4802.msg47936.html#msg47936

But, remember, you're still going to have the same problems rendering dark themes here that you had with Mint Cinnamon Edition.  That rendering problem is from Opera and not fom of Mint.  Also, I have no idea why Opera is so slow in fixing that problem.  Believe me, reporting the problem over there won't help move things along at all.  I've tried two times now --and without any luck.  Also, punksnotdead83, if you want Opera Stable instead of Opera Beta, just take the command for Opera-beta and change it to Opera-stable (Sixth line down.)  That's all you'll need to do. 

Just remember Opera Stable, or Beta, is buggy.  Firefox, Chromium, Chrome, and Yandax-beta work better than Opera.  I hate saying that, but it's true. :(
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »
Hi punksnotdead83,

Welcome to Peppermint and I hope it continues to just work for you for a long time  :)

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline punksnotdead83

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 01:40:43 am »
Thank you, I can't believe I've never came across Peppermint OS before.. I have tried possibly 20+ different Distros. But have never been guided in this direction.
It will, from now on, be my go to Linux systems for installing and suggesting to people wishing to make the leap from "other" OSs... I have been testing it all day and have not came across one issue it's been a breeze to install and configure :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 02:27:23 am »
Great stuff, welcome punksnotdead83

I take it you're referencing proper British hard core punk ?
(and not that "pop punk" rubbish)

Our American friends do some great music, IMHO punk wasn't one of them (at least the mainstream stuff, though they did have a few decent subculture punk bands).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:01:24 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline punksnotdead83

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 03:25:38 am »
I take it you're referencing proper British hard core punk ?
(and not that "pop punk" rubbish)

Of course! :D

Thanks for the welcome guys, It's nice to be here.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:50:03 am »
Our American friends do some great music, IMHO punk wasn't one of them (at least the mainstream stuff, though they did have a few decent subculture punk bands).

I have such love for the audience, but, also, I’m like, I will eat you. --Thao Nguyen

Agreed!  I can't exactly call this Punk, but tiny little Thao Nguyen sure has the right attitude for it.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline punksnotdead83

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 08:20:04 am »
Agreed!  I can't exactly call this Punk, but tiny little Thao Nguyen sure has the right attitude for it.

Not a big fan of the genre but man, she is cute :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:01:23 am »

Not a big fan of the genre but man, she is cute :)

Yes, she sure is.  I don't know what that style of music is called.  I don't know how to define it. :-\

I remember, though, the 80s and the angry Punk scene.  Thao Nguyen appears to have harnessed some of that energy I remember from back then.  But, no, that style of music is not my type either.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 12:31:34 pm »
Welcome aboard, punksnotdead83 !

By the way, punksnotdead83, you're right.  I know that Punk is NOT dead --nor should it be!

Hmm ... well, it's pretty much dead, at least around these parts.

I listened to it in the day -- burned out every driver in a set  of 'New England' speakers.  Had to send them back to the factory to have them all replaced. 

I popped a tweeter in one of my Klipschorns too, but luckily I found a local guy with a rebuild kit.  He wanted to trade me a pair of brand-new ceramic magnet tweeters for my classic alnico magnet models, but I told him to bite me.

Most alt genres only last for 3-4 years, then every one moves on to the latest and greatest.

I've been listening to 'EDM' 24/7 for the past few years, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down -- it just keeps mutating.  LoL !   :D

LINK:  https://youngpeopleandglobalization.wordpress.com/all-edm-subgenres/

Anyway, punksnotdead83, have fun ! 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 12:48:46 pm »
We moved to the states in 69 because my dad was "big" in EDM R&D .. so was "head hunted".

Didn't know they were now making music with it though ???

And funnily enough we came back over here just prior to the rise of punk .. 74

Oh, and "real" punk will never die (though the same can't be said of "real" punks) .. like pretty much ANY original music genre it may fade, but there will always be an audience, definitely this side of the pond ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:58:20 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 01:08:06 pm »
Oh, and "real" punk will never die (though the same can't be said of "real" punks) .. like pretty much ANY original music genre it may fade, but there will always be an audience, definitely this side of the pond ;)

Right !  I should have said, "dead to me".  I like music that's a 1 to 10 days old.

Anything over a year old is pretty much dead to me ...

Takes around 14 days to go through my playlist.  After that, rip, you know ?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 01:29:27 pm »
Old rockers never die, we just fade away in a cloud of rich pungent smoke.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 01:43:25 pm »

Doc Martens are still sold in the US, proving the spirit of Punk is still alive --even if the shoe's original clientele is slightly older now and in need of orthotics inserts.  ;D

Old rockers never die, we just fade away in a cloud of rich pungent smoke.

PCNetSpec, I really like that image.  It would also make a beautiful ending to a movie.  :)