Choose style:

Author Topic: installation on powerbook G4  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Lance.lauren09

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
installation on powerbook G4
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:26 am »
Anyone have experience installing one of the peppermint versions on a powerbook G4?

I tried on both a CD and USB and I held the option key to choose which I would like to boot from but both the CD and the USB do not show up as possible choices.

it is probably because i didnt write the iso file to the usb correctly for a mac or something.

but could someone please help me out on this one.

thank you

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: installation on powerbook G4
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 04:03:16 am »
Hi Lance.lauren09, how's it going?  As far as I know, Peppermint has never been ported to PowerPC Macs.  The Intel Macs it is not a problem to install but the old PowerPC chip is another story.  I also have an old 15" G4 PowerBook - built like a tank  :D.  I ran Ubuntu 12.04 LTS PPC  until the hard drive died.  I selected to use the Classic GNOME shell instead of Unity. That worked really well and was easy to install. There was quite a bit of fiddling around after though.  Getting the network card to work, the sound ect.  There are limitations.  A lot of packages won't work because they are also not ported for PowerPC.  Flash isn't supported.  There are  work arounds for this - not good ones but they are work arounds.   Chrome is not supported so, I guess that also applies to Chromium too.  Not having these available makes a Peppermint PPC redundant before its even started.   Firefox worked well enough though. Silly stuff like having to use Synaptic instead of the "Ubuntu one Stop SuperStore" or what ever they call it.  Its not a problem but you do have to treat the old G4 as a bit of a geriatric.

The current PowerPC version is 14.04 Trusty Tahr PPC: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/trusty/release/ .  There are links there for Lubuntu 14.4 Trusy Tahr PPC too.  I could never get Lubuntu 12.04 to install.  The new one may be easier.  Lubuntu would be my first choice.  Debian also have a PowerPC version.  This is going to be supported for the foreseeable future too: http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/.  Apparently this one is rock solid.  The installation instructions are very detailed.   I now feel inspired to get a new HDD for my G4.  That should be fun because they are rare as chicken's teeth .  I hope this helps.  Have fun  ;)!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:47:39 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Lance.lauren09

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: installation on powerbook G4 (resolved)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:31:42 pm »
Thanks for the feedback on this one.
appreciate it.