Author Topic: DVDs Refuse to play on Toshiba Satellite (C) (SOLVED)  (Read 1653 times)

Offline andrew01777

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
DVDs Refuse to play on Toshiba Satellite (C) (SOLVED)
« on: August 09, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »
Hi guys, I am new to Peppermint but managed to install from USB fine, exactly as per the DL instructions on this site.  I have had no issues whatsoever until now.  I had to put a DVD in for the kids to watch and nothing. i downloaded the up to date version about 3 weeks ago but have never needed to use the DVD drive untill now. i cant find any links to help on this site or the Toshiba Linux help site, so im guessing this is the first time or.......im an idiot and this is so common nobody ever asks.  Please Help!!!!!!

I have tested other DVDs Nothing and I have tested the DVDs in another device and they work. they are all region coded 2 as i am in the UK.

Thanks

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:03:51 pm by andrew01777 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: DVDs Refuse to play on Toshiba Satellite (C)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 02:03:45 pm »
Stick the DVD in the drive, then open the file manager (Files) and click on the DVD in the left hand column to mount the DVD

Now see if you can play the disk in VLC
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 02:05:46 pm »
Hi andrew01777, welcome to the Peppemint Forum 8).  Could you let us have some more information about your computer?  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command, (copy and paste) into the terminal window:
Code: [Select]
inxi -FHit enter and post the output back to the forum  ;).

As this is a new installation.  Have you run a post-installation system upgrade?  If you haven't done this, we highly recommend you do so. 

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.  Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window.

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function.  This is located above the command on the far left side.  Use the right mouse button and select: Copy.  Paste the contents into the terminal by clicking the right mouse button and selecting: Paste.   If you’re using the, Chromium Browser or Google Chrome.  You can click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There’s NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you’re trying to execute.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgradeHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.  After that has completed, continue with:
sudo apt dist-upgradeHit enter and enter your user password if asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.

After the upgrade has completed, it’s very important to reboot your machine.  It’s highly likely that there’ll be a kernel upgrade.

Are you now able to play DVDs?  If you're still unable to play DVDs, have you installed the restricted extras packages?  If not, please enter the following command, (copy and paste) into a terminal window:
sudo apt install lubuntu-restricted-extras ubuntu-restricted-extrasHit enter and follow the on screen instructions.  You'll be presented with a EULA.  You're required to accept it to continue with the installation.  Use the tab key to navigate around the EULA and the spacebar or the enter key to complete the process.  Are you now able to play DVDs?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:43:51 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline andrew01777

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:51:31 am »
Thanks for such a rapid response !  I have installed the upgrades / Updates and tried all suggestions . No change. here is the requested  details and thanks again for your time guys, your help is really appreciated.

Andrew

System:    Host: SATELLITE-L50D-C Kernel: 4.4.0-34-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Peppermint Seven
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: SATELLITE L50D-C v: PSKXNE-01S03PEN
           Mobo: FF50 model: 06F7
           Bios: Insyde v: 5.10 date: 07/27/2015
CPU:       Quad core AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 1300 MHz
           2: 1300 MHz 3: 1300 MHz
           4: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.0-34-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp1s0 state: down
           mac: 2c:60:0c:e9:94:59
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8723be
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up
           mac: 4c:bb:58:ad:99:50
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (2.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-1: / size: 913G used: 22G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 473M used: 186M (42%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 3.72GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.8C mobo: N/A gpu: 42.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 196 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 776.5/3407.2MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:17:02 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline andrew01777

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: DVDs Refuse to play on Toshiba Satellite (C) (SOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 12:01:44 pm »
Yay, So i followed all advice, from the first response to the last and now the DVDs play in VLC. even the menus work. thank you so much for all your help.

Andrew

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: DVDs Refuse to play on Toshiba Satellite (C) (SOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:22:49 pm »
Yay, So i followed all advice, from the first response to the last and now the DVDs play in VLC. even the menus work. thank you so much for all your help.

Andrew
It's our pleasure  :).  We're happy the DVD drive is now working.  If you have any other questions or queries, don't hesitate to use the forum.  Thanks for marking the topic as [SOLVED]  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.