Author Topic: VPN services, KODI , Torrents and UFW firewall  (Read 8308 times)

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
VPN services, KODI , Torrents and UFW firewall
« on: August 08, 2016, 05:55:03 am »
Hi Guys,
            My first post here and new user to Linux. Please be gentle..lol.
After my XP Pentium 4 machine stopped working (possible windows corrupted and suspect Microsoft put a kill code in the very last update), I had a choice.. throw it out and harvest the hard drives or install Linux and Linux won.
I have wanted to install and learn about Linux for ages but never had the opportunity till know.
After reading up and watching you tube vids (English bob and Newell) .. I installed Peppermint 7, two days ago.

WOW.. very nice. So quick and it brought my box back to life and now I can learn about Linux.

I am pretty good with my other windows 7 PC and REFUSE to go to windows 10 after the complete disregard for user privacy.

Anyway, I wonder if you guys can help.

I want to run my Linux machine with KODI (formerly XBMC). Mainly as a Home theatre PC and a test machine for learning Linux, before loading Linux on a newer machine.

That was pretty easy to do with Peppermint and just downloaded Kodi by debion.

I would like to know what you guys do in regards to a VPN service.
I have read that PPTP is insecure and was looking at a VPN service for example : Express VPN or others.
It looks like most VPN services have a graphic user interface for ease of use.. but can't really tell if the graphics interface (user panel/interface) is for Linux or not.

What do you guys use in regards to KODI, TORRENTS, VPN's etc...

I will also block all traffic except the VPN traffic, when using the VPN, via the UFW firewall that came with Peppermint.

I am good with photoshop and PC's but when I looked at Linux code (terminal etc..) it's like a second language

When I first opened the terminal...

Your help or advice would be so greatly appreciated for this very green Linux newbie.

Thx Guys.

Regards,
Todd

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:33:42 am by Todd »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: VPN services, KODI and UFW firewall
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:40:32 am »
First of all ...
Welcome aboard, todd !   :)

Someone else will need to help you with VPN, but I wanted to make a couple of comments about your post ...

After my XP Pentium 4 machine stopped working (possible windows corrupted), I had a choice.. throw it out, harvest the hard drives or install Linux and (Linux won).

My primary test machine has a P4 Extreme Edition CPU.  Amazing what Linux does for ancient iron, yes ?   ;D

I am pretty good with my other windows 7 PC and REFUSE to go to windows 10 after the complete disregard for user privacy.

Funny you should mention that ...

I have some unusual quirks, like naming my devices after Ghostbuster characters -- don't know when n' why I started doing that, but I've been doing it for years.  I also name and label my partitions, so I can keep track of them.

Recently, I decided to try winders 10, to see how well it coexists with Linux, in a UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot environment.

You're right, winders 10 compiles a whole secret dossier on  users, in a hidden partition.  Check out the label I gave it ...

I wonder how many winders users  ppl realize this is going on in the background, or simply pass it off as a paranoid conspiracy theory by 'wingnuts'.

Call me paranoid, if you will,  but all I plan to use winders 10 for is testing purposes ...   ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:49:00 am by VinDSL »

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:18:48 am »
The 450MB is officially a "recovery" partition, isn't it? What's actually on there?

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:18:09 pm »
Hi Guys,
           Thx for the welcome guys.

VinDSL .. that is funny.. ghostbusters..lol

GNU.. YES please.. I would very much appreciate it and any help from other users as well in regards to VPN services.
So, you think just streaming from sources within Kodi is OK? hmmm... ok.. might read up on that one for down under.

I still want to set up a VPN for torrents etc.. but am really interested in DNS leakage, kill switch etc...
All the DNS services have Kill switches and DNS leakage for windows and macs only... but I still wouldn't trust that and would like to do it from the UFW firewall..in case their service drops off and the kill switch doesn't kick in and I don't know about it.
I find all this very interesting and would love to know more so I can help others as well, later on. Linux can be very daunting at first.. but exciting at the same time.

I understand that PPTP is not secure and do not want to go that route and see that Open DNS is the way to go in regards to which VPN service you use.
I have searched for 2 days on different forums for a solution or tutorial and can not find anything except bits and pieces of a jigsaw..that seasoned Linux users will now how to collate the info to use in the terminal.

Maybe we can have a tutorial here on the forum for people who want to use a DNS service and Kodi (and torrents etc)?

I want to use a VPN service because in Australia they have data retention laws that were passed last year. Plus we are part of the B.S crap, TPP.. Trans pacific partnership.

My cousin has used an android box with XBMC on it (like a raspberry pi) with some addons to watch movies and shows etc.. but it makes me nervous that he does it without a VPN and firewall.. like you can set up in Linux. I know I need to set the UFW (firewall) to only accept the VPN traffic and to stop DNS leaks and acts as a kill switch etc..

In kodi if someone (not me of course..lol) are using a video addon...after looking for a movie or show... it looks for sources to view it. An ISP can see all this..correct? I won't go further because we all know about torrents etc...

Just wondering what you and other people do? It would be good to have this on the peppermint forum for everyone.
I would even be willing to pay someone an hour or 2 to write up a detailed tutorial for me and others..that's how frustrated I was looking for this info.. unless you can point me to somewhere?

So I suppose to cut to the chase guys...
1. What VPN service is good for Linux or can we set up our own in Linux (not using the unsecure PPTP)
2. Does it matter that we are using peppermint and not Ubuntu (even though Peppermint is based on Ubuntu) as some of the VPN services say they say they are set up for Ubuntu but do they mean Linux?
3. What steps (code etc..) do we use to set all this up in the terminal, STEP by STEP, for Linux greenthumbs like myself.
4. Can we just use the Linux terminal to set up the firewall to just allow the VPN traffic and minimise DNS leaks... and Just use a VPN service and firewall (UFW)  and what code do we use?

Thanks heaps guys.
Todd.

- Wow..looking at Linux code now..I have a lot to learn to start going into the terminal.. looking forward to it.

VinDSL....
Apparently in windows 10 it can cause DNS leaks. A new “feature” in Windows 10 means that DNS requests are directed not just through your VPN tunnel, but also through your ISP and local network interface. This is because by default Windows 10 attempts to improve web performance by sending DNS requests in parallel to all available resources at once, and (at least in theory) using the fastest one.

This is a major issue for VPN users. It means that your ISP (and anyone listening in on your local network) will know through your DNS requests which websites and services you have visited on the internet. It also opens the way for hackers to hijack your DNS requests (DNS spoofing.) In addition to this, are reports of Windows 10 users suffering slow page loading and timeouts due to this issue. (This was on the BEST VPN . com blog) https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/28318/warning-windows-10-vpn-users-big-risk-dns-leak/ Can we post links here? not sure.. Mod, please delete if no links allowed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:39:38 am by Todd »

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:54 pm »
I personally use PrivateInternetAcess. No logs, has a GUI, offers SOCKS5, and you can even pay with gift cards.

https://secure.paygarden.com/pay/site/ltm/privateinternet/start

I don't necessarily torrent or anything, I'm just rather paranoid and feel comfortable using one. Like a safety blanket.

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 07:04:14 pm »
I personally use PrivateInternetAcess. No logs, has a GUI, offers SOCKS5, and you can even pay with gift cards.

Hey Razz,
   So have you set up the firwall to only accept VPN traffic for certain things and DNS leaks etc? or you just use it for a bit of extra security?
Thx Mate.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: VPN services, KODI , Torrents and UFW firewall
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 02:39:31 am »
Hi Todd, how's it going?  I'm happy to hear you're enjoying Peppermint 7.  Using Linux is a bit of an epiphany when the penny drops.  I know when I started, I was kicking myself for not doing it years earlier.  For a firewall, you don't really need one if you're behind a NAT router.  That's not saying don't use one  If you install (g)ufw, (gufw is the graphical interface for ufw).  Just enable it and forget about it.  I do it from the command line.  First install ufw by opening a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window.

Tip:You might find this little forum tip very useful.  Linux is case sensitive.  It's very IMPORTANT that commands are entered correctly into the terminal window.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors, please left click on the Code: [Select] function that's located above the command to highlight the contents.  For users of Firefox and their derivatives, right click on the highlighted content and select Copy from the menu.  With the mouse cursor in the terminal window, right click and select Paste from the menu.   For Chromium/Chrome users, after left clicking on the Code: [Select] function.  With the mouse cursor in the terminal window.  Click on the centre mouse button/wheel to paste the contents.

Use this perfectly safe and useful command as an example to practice:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt updateYou may run this command as many time as you wish.  I hope you find this tip helpful ;).

sudo apt install ufwHit enter and follow the on screen instructions.  Enter the following command to enable ufw:
sudo ufw enableHit enter and follow the on screen instructions.  To check your firewall status, enter the following command into the terminal window:
sudo ufw verboseTo disable your firewall, enter the following command into the terminal window:
sudo ufw disableThis is all you need to start with.  Obviously it you start networking computers, you'll need to add some additional rules.  We can help with that, if you need it  ;).

My advice for VPN is https://vpn.ht/.  I've used this one for over a year and it's great.  There's plenty of locations to choose from, it doesn't leak and the price is great.  I'm in The Netherlands.  My IP address is saying I'm in Lithuania.   I'm pretty certain you're fine down under with streaming content with Kodi.  They get a bit squirly about downloading stuff though.  That's when you need a VPN.  A great place to get a definitive answer is with the lads from the Systemau Podcast.  They're very active on Google+ and will certainly help you out with Down Under stuff.  I hope you find this helpful  ;).

Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 02:43:50 am »
Thanks Andy.
                        I really hope we have some more input into this.
Thanks again for your VPN suggestion as well.

T

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 04:50:59 am »
PCNET... great video find on you tube.. thx
Wish he could do one on the firewall to act as a DNS leak too..

Messing around with gufw because I haven't found decent alternatives. The kill-switches that I tested didn't work or were to slow...
I'm still in the market for a VPN provider with a Linux GUI and a built-in working "kill-switch"!

Oh I hear ya with VPN provider with a Linux GUI and a built-in working "kill-switch"!

Thx GNU.. I am sure everyone (me included) appreciate your feedback.

I think the best choice at the moment I can come up with is this..

1. Get a VPN service (hopefully with a Linux Graphic user interface - No luck finding one yet) no log keeping, DNS leak cutoff etc...
2. Set up GUFW (firewall) to only allow VPN traffic and put in as many IP's as possible for the different locations on the planet.

This sound correct?

If so, The above code would do it yes?

Thx
Todd
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:59:36 am by Todd »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 11:11:16 am »
The 450MB is officially a "recovery" partition, isn't it? What's actually on there?

Kidding, I think ...   ;D

Who knows ?

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 12:50:38 am »
Thx for the input GNU.

Vin.. I LOOOVE your desktop man. all those stats on the right look really cool, do you have a tutorial or post on how to do that?

Maybe the 450 meg is reserved for a hidden top secret windows 11 program file... for when they try to force that on you as well next year. lol.

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 03:44:11 am »
Thanks for the link to conky.
Had to look what the hell that meant...lol
found this.. https://www.linux.com/learn/how-install-and-configure-conky

Ok, understand.. now to implement it.. no big deal hey... lol

If I break something can I go back to... gulp.. I hate to say it... cough cough...like a winders system restore..lol
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:16:42 am by Todd »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 03:52:20 am »
Hi Todd

take a look at this great Tutorial -  https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3908.0.html

It should be what you are looking for

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 04:15:08 am »
Thx a lot Zeb :) Much appreciated.