Choose style:

Author Topic: AMD Graphics Conundrum (Solved)  (Read 1119 times)

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
AMD Graphics Conundrum (Solved)
« on: August 07, 2016, 02:03:08 pm »
Hi all,

I've been loving Peppermint 7 but am having a mixed feeling of keeping it because of the AMD graphics card driver issue with 16.04.  For most uses the generic driver is working fine for surfing and such but videos and games, for what little gaming I do, you can certainly see the difference.  My main purpose for my Peppermint machine is to do photography and video editing, so a good running card is just as important.  My conundrum is, do I wait for AMD's new driver, and that's if it works with my Radeon HD 6450, or do I roll back to Peppermint 6 and 14.04 and use the graphics driver I know works.  My motherboard is a Gigabyte M55-Plus-S3G and has a built in nVidea Geforce 6100.  Not sure if I pull my Radeon and work off the built in graphics card would be an option.  Right now I don't want to get a new graphics card either.  What do some of you more experienced people think.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:54:46 pm by stevesveryown »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: AMD Graphics Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »
I was facing the same conundrum with my new nVidia GT 710 card, but it had nothing to do with Peppermint, specifically.  The problem was upstream.

The video drivers in the Canonical repos are always stale, which is fine if you're running ancient iron, but ...

To make a long story short, in frustration I downloaded/installed the latest nVidia drivers directly from the official nVidia web site (.run files are a PITA) and ...

Winner !!!  Cards down !  Cash out !  My new nVidia card is working flawlessly with  LATEST nVidia drivers.

So, if you're running the drivers from the Ubu repos, and they aren't working on your card, you might want to look elsewhere.

On face value, that would be my advice ...  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:07:53 pm »
I'd go with PM7 on the nVidia card .. but it's your call really.

Also I'm "fairly" sure (though by no means positive) that the HD 6450 won't be supported by AMDGPU-Pro .. though is probably already using the open source AMDGPU component  which is already part of 16.04 and therefore PM7.

It's also hard to advise when you don't mention exactly HOW the current PM7 open source driver is 'worse' that FGLRX .. are you talking frame rates, or screen tearing, or what ?

My own experience is that the current open source 'radeon'driver (at least on my HD 8610G) is every bit as good as FGLRX was in PM6, except for screen tearing in video which can be fixed, and lack of catalyst GUI

At the end of the day only YOU can decide which works best on your hardware and for your particular requirements ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:59:50 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:11:19 pm »
I have no issues with the open source driver on my laptop.  At least, it doesn't appear to run any worse or have any more graphical issues than it did with the FGLRX driver on Peppermint 5 or 6.  (no issues at all, really)

Though, I'm glad my desktop has Nvidia graphics, since that's my gaming and CGI machine.

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:53:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realy notice a difference until I tried watching a movie in full screen.  The quality didn't sem to be there are before. Maybe I'm just being picky and I probably read to many articles on how computers like mine running an amd graphics card were going to be stuck with lousy graphics support.  I thank you for you opions and will evaluate.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: AMD Graphics Conundrum (Solved)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 11:14:42 pm »
Don't feel bad, my laptop doesn't do full screen movies well, even with the proprietary drivers.  The picture stutters like crazy.  My low power AMD APU just doesn't have the juice for it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:16:22 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 04:39:50 am »
Well videos aren't nice on my netbook as well, until I connect it to a monitor... crappy TN Panel :D

If you've issues with HTML5 videos try Flash. That can make a huge difference, Youtube video on 1080p stutters around with 4-5fps on HTML5 and runs perfectly fine with constant 30fps with flash on my backup-PC (AMD A4-5000, low end of the low end). My netbook (A8-6410) does 30fps 1080p, 60 fps stutters with HTML5. With Flash even two videos at the same time (one on 720p on my netbookdisplay and one on 2560x1080 on an external monitor, both in Fullscreen) run fine with 60fps. YouTube only says 60fps on HTML5, but they run with 60fps on Flash as well (although YouTube doesn't say that). Only issue there is the cooling of my netbook, two monitors with one video each only work for 2-3min... but you won't have that crap on a desktop ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 05:45:57 am »
If this is about screen tearing on the open source radeon drivers (?), have you tried either:-

a) disabling desktop effects (in Peppermint Control Center)

or

b) the solution here:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3805.0.html
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:47:41 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec