Choose style:

Author Topic: Acer Aspire high pitched sound  (Read 2044 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Acer Aspire high pitched sound
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 08:34:30 pm »
this sounds like some kind of radio interference to me (or feedback) .. can you disable the webcam and mic and see if the sound disappears.

In my case that's what I'm thinking. Have any ideas on how to fix it? should we leave ronaldo9 alone and move this over to a new post?
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »
Hi ronaldo9, I found my fix, maybe this will give you an idea, I was reading about shielded wires and i ran across this discussion talking about grounding; http://www.rane.com/note151.html, And it got me to thinking about the previous motherboard I had installed, an old intel, I was getting an eeror that had something to do with timing out, the recommended repair was to insure the motherboard wasn't being grounded by anything. I put pieces of electric tape on the mount points, front and back, of the board and sure enough that fixed the code and the board would start up. so I did that same insulation to my current board and now I'm back to being nice and clear. Maybe this will help you, maybe not but I thought I should share it with you and anyone else that may have a similar problem.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline ronaldo9

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 08:54:55 am »
Just an update to my last post where I said I would just use windows as I couldnt solve the sound problem with Linux.
So a few days ago after windows 10 installed an update I started to get a message on more or less a daily basis that there was a problem and windows was shutting down,very nice.Checking on the web I found many people having the same problem and the way to fix was roll back to windows 8.
I decided to have a last attempt at removing windows and to run linux on its own-originally I tried this but had problems with the touchpad.
I found in bios that there is a touchpad setting which was set to advanced,and I changed this to default.
I also decided to change to legacy instead of uefi.
Everything went smoothly on the install,and after rebooting I only had problems with shutdown-this was solved by adding a couple of lines of text in the grub menu found while looking through the mint forums.
So been using the notebook for a couple of days-everything running smoothly-no weird sounds and in fact it appears to be running quiter with less hard drive noise.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 06:59:14 pm »
Terrific news ronaldo9 :) .. thanks for the update.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec