Author Topic: I am stunned at this wonderful Linux  (Read 2585 times)

Offline UFOned

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7?
I am stunned at this wonderful Linux
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:34:21 am »
I have always used Linux but kept to mainstream downloads.  But as my computers that are past their sell by date keep coming at me to give out to those who need a computer and their budgets are tight.  I had a laptop and for some reason nothing worked, but Peppermint did!  And as I work on it I find it just an awesome OS.  Can I ask how do I find the wallpaper desktop images?  Thank you

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: I am stunned at this wonderful Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:11:08 pm »
Hi UFOned, and welcome to Peppermint :)

The default wallpapers are located at

/usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers

If that's what you were asking ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 01:57:55 pm »
Welcome aboard, UFOned !   :)

I might mention, you can add your own wallpaper collection to the default wallpaper collection, in the (Nitrogen) wallpaper changer.

For instance, the location of my wallpapers in 'Nitrogen' preferences are:
  • /usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers
  • /home/vindsl/MEGA/Wallpaper

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 04:44:34 pm »
Hi UFOned, welcome to the Peppermint Forum  8).  In addition to the information already given.  Here's a link to the stunning photos taken by Ray Bilcliff: Ray Bilcliff's highlights.  He very kindly provided the default images for Peppermint 7.  It good to know you're enjoying this release  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 09:59:47 pm »
Hi UFOned

Welcome aboard the good ship Peppermint glad to have you onboard :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada m├ís.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:38:32 pm »
I am stunned at this wonderful Linux --UFOned

Welcome to Peppermint, UFOned.  I, too, am astonished at how well Peppermint 7 is running on my computer.  I'm having no issues at all.  I've never had a computer run so well in my life.  Peppermint 7 is spectacular! :)

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:41:49 am »
Hi UFOned

Welcome to Peppermint.  It does make a refreshing change when things JUST WORK.

Enjoy.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline UFOned

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 05:02:08 am »
Hi guys, so so sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.  A usual I get thrown back into the hospital beds and that is where I stay for as long as it takes.  All I can say is you guys rock and so does Peppermint.  I am loading things slowly onto it and have a few proplems still so I know where to come.  And I will sing your praises in all directions.  Thank you thank you thank you.  I have loaded my images up now.  I prefer them to be in one place

How do I mark this as solved.  I know my brain doesn't work and I am looking, but as uausual I can't see what is in front of my face
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:04:30 am by UFOned »

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »
I am stunned at this wonderful Linux --UFOned

I, too, am astonished at how well Peppermint 7 is running on my computer.  I'm having no issues at all.  I've never had a computer run so well in my life.  Peppermint 7 is spectacular! :)

perknh

I second that Perknh.. :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 01:33:12 am »
Hi Todd, how's it going?  I'm happy to hear you're enjoying Peppermint 7.  Using Linux is a bit of an epiphany when the penny drops.  I know when I started, I was kicking myself for not doing it years earlier.  For a firewall, you don't really need one if you're behind a NAT router.  That's not saying don't use one  If you install (g)ufw, (gufw is the graphical interface for ufw).  Just enable it and forget about it.  I do it from the command line.  First install ufw by opening a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window.

Tip:You might find this little forum tip very useful.  Linux is case sensitive.  It's very IMPORTANT that commands are entered correctly into the terminal window.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors, please left click on the Code: [Select] function that's located above the command to highlight the contents.  For users of Firefox and their derivatives, right click on the highlighted content and select Copy from the menu.  With the mouse cursor in the terminal window, right click and select Paste from the menu.   For Chromium/Chrome users, after left clicking on the Code: [Select] function.  With the mouse cursor in the terminal window.  Click on the centre mouse button/wheel to paste the contents.

Use this perfectly safe and useful command as an example to practice:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt updateYou may run this command as many time as you wish.  I hope you find this tip helpful ;).

sudo apt install ufwHit enter and follow the on screen instructions.  Enter the following command to enable ufw:
sudo ufw enableHit enter and follow the on screen instructions.  To check your firewall status, enter the following command into the terminal window:
sudo ufw verboseTo disable your firewall, enter the following command into the terminal window:
sudo ufw disableThis is all you need to start with.  Obviously it you start networking computers, you'll need to add some additional rules.  We can help with that, if you need it  ;).

My advice for VPN is https://vpn.ht/.  I've used this one for over a year and it's great.  There's plenty of locations to choose from, it doesn't leak and the price is great.  I'm in The Netherlands.  My IP address is saying I'm in Lithuania.   I'm pretty certain you're fine down under with streaming content with Kodi.  They get a bit squirly about downloading stuff though.  That's when you need a VPN.  A great place to get a definitive answer is with the lads from the Systemau Podcast.  They're very active on Google+ and will certainly help you out with Down Under stuff.  I hope you find this helpful  ;).

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:10:02 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 02:28:28 am »
Hi Andy. Goin good.
                                Wow, what a learning curve this is.
Are you sure you posted this in the right thread? instead of https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4070.0.html
No big deal.. just asking...

Thanks for the reply mate.

Todd

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:38:11 am »
Hi Andy. Goin good.
                                Wow, what a learning curve this is.
Are you sure you posted this in the right thread? instead of https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4070.0.html
No big deal.. just asking...

Thanks for the reply mate.

Todd
Yeah, you're right it in the wrong thread.  It's not doing any harm here, so I'll leave it here anyway.  I'm just going to duplicate it in your other correct thread.  Thanks for pointing it out  ;).

Offline Todd

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 02:42:01 am »
 ;) All good.