Author Topic: Just moved to PM7 from Mint  (Read 1260 times)

Offline supercat

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Just moved to PM7 from Mint
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:26:15 am »
Having been a Mint user for a couple of years, I've just moved to PM7 and prefer it. The design and the way things are set out are simply better for me personally, as well as being faster on my notebook than regular Mint ever was. I just discovered that the main brain behind both Mint and Peppermint is the same person (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). I'm not quite sure what to make of that - but what I do know is that PM7 is absurdly low on the Distrowatch list given its quality and functionality.

For me, PM7 has a crispness and agility missing in the regular Mint, and a calming dark theme out of the box. It gives me the same satisfying feeling as using Ubuntu 10.10, which was for a long time my absolute favourite distro (it had that same magic crispness to it).

The only problem I had installing PM7 is that it didn't acknowledge the presence of my CanoScan 8800F, which was truly invisible to it using every known command. I wandered around the Ubuntu forums (before I arrived here) and eventually got it working OK with XSane. Mint ran the 8800F out of the box.

For me PM7 out-Mints Mint. Mint and PM7 should be jostling for position every week at #1 and #2 on Distrowatch, sometimes swapping positions.

A critical aim for PM7 must be to avoid breakages and regressions coming down from Ubuntu. As Dedoimedo (Igor) has rightly pointed out recently, regressions are incredibly damaging to the image of desktop Linux, as well as of course its functionality. If PM7 can steer a course to avoid regressions, then it will be huge. And deservedly so.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Just moved to PM7 from Mint
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 10:39:13 am »
Hi supercat and welcome to the forum :)

Great to hear you've discovered Peppermint and like it enough to replace Mint.

I just discovered that the main brain behind both Mint and Peppermint is the same person (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). I'm not quite sure what to make of that

That's not exactly right .. The original founders of Peppermint were Shane Remington and Kendal Weaver.

Neither of which were the "main brain" at Mint (that would be Clement Lefebvre) .. Kendall was a package maintainer at Mint for a short while, and he also built the Mint LXDE community edition before it was dropped .. so there is a Mint connection but it's kind of tenuous, and we're not connected at all.

Neither Shane or Kendall are with us any more, but they do keep in touch and help out if/when necessary :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:44:21 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 01:42:08 pm »
Welcome aboard, supercat !  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 01:47:30 pm »
That's at least 3 of us that think Maverick was the buntu zenith :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:03:56 pm »
Five, actually ... me, myself, I, and you two guys !   LoL   :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:37:24 pm »
Hi supercat, welcome to the Peppermint community.  We're only small, (I think it's kinda nice that way too :) ).  We're a lively bunch though  8)Peppermint does pack a hefty KO punch when it comes to stability and usability.  Keeping it simple really does work  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline supercat

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:53:52 pm »
Well, PM may be small right now. But if you produce a really, really good Linux desktop experience, which you have, then it's inevitable that eventually PM will rival Mint. Bigness produces its own problems, and sponsorship on the same level as Mint will be required, if only to meet bandwidth costs, as well as extra forum mods to cover the workload. Quality always bubbles up to the surface and accelerates its own promotion - evolution and natural selection.

So could PM be considered a fork of Mint, or parallel, or something else? I really don't know the vocabulary that developers use to describe the position of their product.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 11:34:40 pm »
Well, PM may be small right now. But if you produce a really, really good Linux desktop experience, which you have, then it's inevitable that eventually PM will rival Mint. Bigness produces its own problems, and sponsorship on the same level as Mint will be required, if only to meet bandwidth costs, as well as extra forum mods to cover the workload. Quality always bubbles up to the surface and accelerates its own promotion - evolution and natural selection.

So could PM be considered a fork of Mint, or parallel, or something else? I really don't know the vocabulary that developers use to describe the position of their product.
That's a good question.  I've never really thought of it in those terms.  To me, it is what it is.  I guess the closest, is to say it's a kind of a fork of Linux Mint's discontinued LXDE community edition.  There again it isn't because it's mission and philosophy are very different to Linux Mint's.  I think the most accurate way of classifying Peppermint, is to call it the result of a good night out at the Black Rose Pub in Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA.  It's evolution of malt, hops, yeast, water and the need for something different in the Linux Desktop world  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 12:08:59 am »
Hi supercat,

I think it is best described in the slide show that you see during installation: Peppermint is a hybrid! Continuing with AndyInMokum's nice analogy of an

... evolution of malt, hops, yeast, water ...

I think PeppermintOS can be viewed as something akin to what I have had in several bars -- in an Irish pub they served a snakebite (equal parts of stout and a dry, crisp cider) and in the French area of Elsass (Alsace) there is a rather popular mix named Amer Picon Biere (or simply Picon Biere).  :D

So PeppermintOS can be viewed as taking some really good ingredients from different sources, keeping things nice and simple, and mixing them in the correct proprotions to give you a really outstanding product;)

And BTW: Welcome to the forum and the Peppermint Pub:P

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:51:58 am »
If anything it would be a fork of Lubuntu in the same way Mint are a fork of Ubuntu, the development process (so far) has started with a Lubuntu ISO which then gets deconstructed until there's pretty much nothing left, then built back up to our own recipe including our own software to pull together the disparate components from LXDE / Cinnamon / Xfce / MATE and make them work together.
Theoretically it would be just as easy to start from the Ubuntu mini ISO as there's very little Lubuntu left by the time we're done but starting with Lubuntu is just how it's been done so far.

"Fork" may be the wrong term though .. can you "fork" what is basically a collection of other projects software (a distribution) ? :-\

"Fork" would mean we start with code produced by Ubuntu/Lubuntu and modify it, Ubuntu/Lubuntu are collections of other projects bundled together, we unbundle then rebundle, there's little modification of code going on besides adding our own stuff .. there is a 'little' forking, we do modify a few existing packages but they tend to be things not created by Ubuntu/Lubuntu in the first place.

We do maintain modified versions of mintinstall and mintupdate (and a few other packages) .. so I suppose they could be considered forks, but Peppermint is mainly a rebundling of packages that weren't intended to work together with our own software that makes them happy to coexist, and ICE.

@Slim.Fatz

The Stout/Cider Snakebite is (I think) an American invention .. over here a Snakebite has always been a 50:50 mix of Lager and Cider ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:55:37 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 05:17:58 am »
Hi PCNetSpec,

Sorry, I wrote stout but actually wanted to write Lager!! Too many snakebites ...  :-X

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:13 am »
Too many snakebites ...  :-X   <-- I know that feeling well :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec